X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rumor, someone displace it for me?

My neighbor does a LOT of construction type work, and I paid him to help me work on some floors in my home recently (this past week)...

It was then that I found out from him that (supposedly) Rigid has been bought by Campbell Hausefield, and they'll be running the Rigid line now.

Very well could've been true, since he told me he's trying to put gaskets in a Rigid air compressor, and I can understand the Compressor department, or line, being bought out, but what about power tool line? I have the 18V Rigid drill, and i LOVE it. Its the next best thing to a Dewalt for me, and I've owned both. I love Dewalt but Rigid is PERFECT for what I need it for, and works great...also I like that warranty/LSA that Rigid has..

Re: Rumor, someone displace it for me?

I haven't heard that, and kind of doubt it. However, at least some of the RIDGID branded air compressors are actually made and supported by CH.

Comment

I second what CPW said. Doesn't appear to be true, but there is an adjoining business relationship there.

Comment

Did your neighbor ever work at Home Depot?
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I'm not going to take the time to look up the "financials" on CH, but I'm guessing that Emerson Electric (parent company of Ridgid and owner of the Ridgid brand name) and Techtronics International (parent company of One World Technologies, Ryobi, Milwaukee, Homelite, Dirt Devil [and others] and licensed manufacturer of Ridgid power tools) are significantly larger than Campbell-Hausfeld.

Both of Emerson and TTI are highly deversified global companies and though C-H is well known in the low-priced compressor market, I'm in doubt that they would have either the capitol or the management history for such a takeover.

I would guess that there is some link between Ridgid brand compressors and C-H, and perhaps that is because they may be subcontracted to make the Ridgid compressors. Whether that is all or only some models and components is not known (by me, anyway).

One thing I do know is that rumors abound in this market and most appear to be little more than just wild opinions with little, if any basis.

(My favorite rumor in this catagory is that "Home Depot owns Ridgid... that's why the new Ridgid tools are orange" (provided 1st hand by a HD floor manager). In the same breath, was added, "Home Depot guarantee's all of it's tools, including power tools, for life... just bring them back to the store!")

CWS

Comment

So did you manage to get the quote on paper or recorded?

I know a farmer who got a truck sales man to agree to a life long warranty service for his ford truck in 1980s. Sales man put on the contract, did not have a job much longer i would guess. nor would that HD manager i would guess.

Comment

While I am sure the rumor is false, Campbell Hausefield is owned by Scott Fetzer Co. Which is owned by Berkshire Hathaway Inc. which also owns Adalet; Carefree; Cleveland Wood Products; Douglas Products; ECM; France; Halex; Kirby; Meriam Instrument; Northland; Powerwinch; Quikut; ScottCare; Scot Labs; Stahl (my truck body); United Consumer Financial Services; Wayne Home Equipment; Western Enterprises; Western Plastics; World Book Group. I believe somewhere in the fray Warren Buffet is involved.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Either way, I think we're all satisfied that this is another flaming rumour.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                  While I am sure the rumor is false, Campbell Hausefield is owned by Scott Fetzer Co. Which is owned by Berkshire Hathaway Inc. which also owns Adalet; Carefree; Cleveland Wood Products; Douglas Products; ECM; France; Halex; Kirby; Meriam Instrument; Northland; Powerwinch; Quikut; ScottCare; Scot Labs; Stahl (my truck body); United Consumer Financial Services; Wayne Home Equipment; Western Enterprises; Western Plastics; World Book Group. I believe somewhere in the fray Warren Buffet is involved.

Mark
                  Warren Buffet runs Berkshire Hathaway. My wife thinks I am wierd because I think that going to one of the shareholder's meetings in Omaha would be a fun vacation.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                    Warren Buffet runs Berkshire Hathaway. My wife thinks I am wierd because I think that going to one of the shareholder's meetings in Omaha would be a fun vacation.
                    I think your wife is correct, sir.

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
                      I think your wife is correct, sir.
                      Who are you to talk, you went on vacation to a tool factory with a bunch of plumbers.

Comment

Who are you to talk, you went on vacation to a tool factory with a bunch of plumbers.
                        OH Snap!!

Comment

Yep, Warren stopped in at my cube the other day negotiating my continued employment with the C-H takoever. I played hardball and he finally gave in. I get free Geckos for life, and all the Dairy Queen I can eat.

I too think it would be fun to go see the Oracle of Omaha perform at the annual stockholder's meeting. Maybe I'll go after I retire.
                          Steve
                          www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

LOL. At least there were my kind of tools there, like drills and saws and stuff like that. I din't see no IT tools!

(Actually, all kidding aside, my WIFE went on vacation, so she could shop, and that ENABLED me to go to a tool factory. )

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                              OH Snap!!
                              Don't you start in, too!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X