X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cordless drill

hi there, anyone know which brand is the best in cordless drills?

Re: cordless drill

Yup!

Comment

March,

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately the question is sort of like asking, "What's the best motor vehicle?"

It sort of depends on what you want, what your going to use it for, how often are you going to use it, is it for homeowner use or commercial, what kind of power do you want, etc., etc. etc.?

But, I'll give you a simple answer since you're posting on a Ridgid forum, and I'm a Ridgid fan. But you should know that I'm also a home owner, hobbyist carpenter/woodworker and I'm not in the trades.

For a "cordless" drill, that means batteries and chargers... Ridgid is the only brand that I know of that offers a "Limited Lifetime Service Agreement" which covers batteries and chargers. In order to get that LLSA you will need to register the tool, however. If you don't want to take those required steps, then you have a 3-year warranty.

Cordless tools need the battery to operate and the charger to keep the battery charged. Batteries and chargers are notorious for simply wearing out over time or prematurely if you rarely use the tool. At least with Ridgid's LLSA you can get them replaced with no further $, but you have to take (or send) them to an authorized Ridgid service center.

So now, tell us what your intended use might be and I'm sure you'll get all kinds of opinions.

CWS

Comment

i hate cordless drills

Comment

Originally posted by woodman619 View Post
          i hate cordless drills
          I love my cordless drill. I've got 3 cordless Ryobi's and am very happy with them for general drilling or driving.

I do have a Dewalt corded hammer drill for concrete or other heavy drilling jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
            Yup!
            Wow Ray, I tell ya, you're beginning to out-do yourself lately. Only four characters in that post. Efficiency at it's finest, buddy!

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
              I love my cordless drill. I've got 3 cordless Ryobi's and am very happy with them for general drilling or driving.

I do have a Dewalt corded hammer drill for concrete or other heavy drilling jobs.
              i never invested in extra batteries for my cordless so its kind of a pain in the neck

Comment

Originally posted by woodman619 View Post
                i hate cordless drills
                Congratulations.

Originally posted by march View Post
                hi there, anyone know which brand is the best in cordless drills?
                Like CWS said, there's a lot of variables to consider. Believe it or not, we won't (not all of us anyways) necessarily say that a particular Ridgid drill is the best of the best. But there is more info that you could help us out with that might better allow a more honed answer.

And welcome to the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
                  Wow Ray, I tell ya, you're beginning to out-do yourself lately. Only four characters in that post. Efficiency at it's finest, buddy!
                  Yup! Well I figure that when China realizes we are going bankrupt and they take back all that money they let us borrow we are going to need to become good at getting along with less. Just practicing.....Ray

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
                    Yup! Well I figure that when China realizes we are going bankrupt and they take back all that money they let us borrow we are going to need to become good at getting along with less. Just practicing.....Ray

Comment

I may lose my man card, but i shop by color.

luckily i like makita blue. the new makita lxt is awesome. i was going to purchase the the ridgid 18 lion but the drill and impact drive didn't feel righ in my hand.

i think it really comes down to how it feels.

Comment

Originally posted by the2js97 View Post
                        I may lose my man card, but i shop by color.

luckily i like makita blue. the new makita lxt is awesome. i was going to purchase the the ridgid 18 lion but the drill and impact drive didn't feel righ in my hand.

i think it really comes down to how it feels.
                        Whew. I'd say you've salvaged your man card. Yes, colour may be a part of it, but you saved yourself by stating that "it really comes down to how it feels." That's where the ticket is at.

Comment

Well, he did do the manly thing by saying it was "blue". He could have said it was "a lighter shade of teal" (that's what my wife calls it)!

But I agree, so much of what attracts one to a particular tools is "how it feels". As they used to say in the late 60's, "If it feels good, do it."

CWS

Comment

I think the best 18V drill so far is the DeWalt DCD970. It's a complete redesign over the old XRP drills, smaller, better ergonomics and controls, significant power increase. The best part, especially if your a previous DeWalt user, is that they eliminated *every* single annoying thing that the older XRPs did like the sticking gearshift and low clutch settings that never worked properly between gears. There's literally nothing to fault in the new design.

Comment

Originally posted by Sceeter W Wheels View Post
                              I think the best 18V drill so far is the DeWalt DCD970. It's a complete redesign over the old XRP drills, smaller, better ergonomics and controls, significant power increase. The best part, especially if your a previous DeWalt user, is that they eliminated *every* single annoying thing that the older XRPs did like the sticking gearshift and low clutch settings that never worked properly between gears. There's literally nothing to fault in the new design.
                              nah, Ridgid autoshift is much better.

Comment

Working...
                              X