Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: having problems getting replacement batteries

Originally posted by skohler View Post
    I agree with canuck- the service center could be the ones loosing if they are not reimbursed for the short term fix (giving out the smaller battery). If they know this is Ridgid policy, I'm not sure why it was not offered in that way?
    No Skohler, I was more meaning that the service centers could potentially keep quiet about it, and give the customer (you) a 2.0Ah battery, and then when the 2.5 Ah came in, if the customer didn't know about it, then the service center would keep that one for a potential additional sale. A pessimistic view of things, but still...

My other thought on this issue, ProBrand, is that whether or not there's becoming more of a focus towards replacement rather than repair, when it should maybe be the other way around. I would think that it's easier to supply battery cells and the like, so that these shops can repair the batteries to full functionality. There are a million and one battery refurbishing places out there, so obviously one would think that this is the more cost efficient route to take. It seems from multiple posts from different customers, that service centers seem to always be replacing batteries, rather than just swapping out the damaged/dead cells. I would think that this replacement is costing about 25-50% more overall on warranty/LLSA claim costs. Also, battery repair would lead to faster turnaround times (due to less of a stock backorder issue). And, IMO, it would make it easier for the customer, as there's no issues of needing to re-register a new battery with customer service, if they get a replacement battery that has a different serial/manufacture code than their registered original battery.

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
      No Skohler, I was more meaning that the service centers could potentially keep quiet about it, and give the customer (you) a 2.0Ah battery, and then when the 2.5 Ah came in, if the customer didn't know about it, then the service center would keep that one for a potential additional sale. A pessimistic view of things, but still...

OK, I follow you now. I was offered the 2.0 batteries because they had them is stock (sounded like they had a lot of them). But it was offered like- "well, if you wanted two of these to replace your two, we can get you fixed up today..." This service company seemed like it was honest about things, so I doubt they had alterior motives, but does make you wonder...

I really think that after a certain point, lets just say 2 months, an effort needs to be make to make the situation right. That may be upgrading to a better battery/charger that is in stock. I do that all the time, because without customers, you business fails. Sometimes you have to follow through on your promises even if it means loosing a little off the top.

Comment

Hi all, just as a side note, I have been purchasing the 2.5 Ah 18 volt batteries over the summer at Home Depot. I have recently noticed they have been on sale for basically two for the price of one. All HD stores in my area are complety out of stock execpt for the 18v LIONs. I have tried to register these batteries several times thru the summer (including today) on the RIDGID site and the registation form will not accept the battery model # to continue registation.
        I bought these for their warranty knowing that all batteries eventually die. It sounds like this was just another advertising ploy.
        Has anone ever been able to get a warranty replacment for a individually purchased (not with a tool) battery?

thanks
        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by RIrail View Post
          Hi all, just as a side note, I have been purchasing the 2.5 Ah 18 volt batteries over the summer at Home Depot. I have recently noticed they have been on sale for basically two for the price of one. All HD stores in my area are complety out of stock execpt for the 18v LIONs. I have tried to register these batteries several times thru the summer (including today) on the RIDGID site and the registation form will not accept the battery model # to continue registation.
          I bought these for their warranty knowing that all batteries eventually die. It sounds like this was just another advertising ploy.
          Has anone ever been able to get a warranty replacment for a individually purchased (not with a tool) battery?

thanks
          Steve
          Steve, the solo batteries (ie - not from within a tool/drill kit) are not LLSA eligible. These clamshell packaged batteries are only available with the standard 3-year warranty. It is clearly marked on these battery packages with only the 3-year warranty logo, and there is no LLSA logo. Also, I do know it's been discussed on here on the Forum also (I understand how that may be hard to find though), but on the battery product pages on Ridgid's webpages, the batteries only list the 3-year warranty also. For the 3-year warranty, you do not need to register the batteries - the service centers would go on either the date code on the batteries, or by your original receipt.

Comment

Thank you for the information, I was miss informed at the retail store level. I appreciate your time.

Thanks
            Steve

Comment

Originally posted by RIrail View Post
              I was miss informed at the retail store level.
              Unfortunately, that sometimes has a tendency to happen. But, that's what the Forum is here for. Sorry it wasn't a better answer for you.

Comment

Wish I were posting about a wonderful resolution to my problem, but nothing yet. I called the service center and they had not heard anything yet. I had asked them a while back about getting another battery (an upgrade, not a downgrade). When He called ridgid, he was told there were no other better ones that would fit my tools. That may or may not be true, but that is the info I had.

Will post back when I know something.

Comment

I had the problem with Milwaukee NiCads a while back and sent the battery packs to Voltman and they replaced the cells for $35 a battery pack. I got higher capacity batteries as well. With lithium-ion I would stick to those from the manufacturer as these batteries can explode or catch fire if not charged properly or are missing the proper circuitry (happened with a bunch of counterfeit Canon video camera batteries). For NiCads though a 3rd party refurbishment makes a lot of sense.

Comment

Not really an update, just a rant. i called my service center, the guy says the batteries might not be in until the end of October. What???? So I call customer service and spoke to Marian, she advised that the batteries will not be in until mid October and likely late october before the service center gets them.

I've had it. Marian is supposed to call me this afternoon and let me know what my options are. Loaner batteries, better batteries, ?????. I just need the tools to work and am not willing to take an inferior battery as the final solution. Her response to most of my calm, but determined conversation revolved around if she were in my shoes with this problem was just they can't give me the batteries if they don't have them. End of story. What batteries can work with my drill and accessories? Can the lithium ion 18v ones work if the charger is also replaced???

I know you all are sick of hearing this, but this is really not the way to handle customers.

Comment

Originally posted by ProBrand View Post
                      Just a quick note for clarification. There is a backorder situation with the 2.5aH NiCad batteries. The temporary fix is to send the lower aH battery as replacement and then fill the original issue when the proper batteries arrive. You would not be downgraded and actually would come out with an extra battery. Apologies for any confusion and inconvenience.
                      Why is this not being offered to me by either of the customer service folks or the service center? Is there a "code" or something I need to use??? It's nice to hear, but unless the customers are actually being given this choice, it's worthless.

UPDATE: called Marian again to follow up and she offered to send out the lower amp/hour batteries until the newer ones come in. Finally- I wish this had be offered 2 months ago. This option is not being offered to folks unless really pushed.
                      Last edited by skohler; 10-05-2009, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skohler View Post
                        Why is this not being offered to me by either of the customer service folks or the service center? Is there a "code" or something I need to use??? It's nice to hear, but unless the customers are actually being given this choice, it's worthless.

UPDATE: called Marian again to follow up and she offered to send out the lower amp/hour batteries until the newer ones come in. Finally- I wish this had be offered 2 months ago. This option is not being offered to folks unless really pushed.
                        i would have bought a new kit and used it for the 90 day return window and brought it back when new batts came in. But thats just me.

Comment

Got the temp batteries in the mail, at least I did not have to drive out to the service center. This whole process has been difficult, but at least I can use my tools again.

Comment

I would have just went out and bought some extra batteries so it wouldnt happen again. I have 8 batteries just so I dont have to go thru things like this.

Comment

Working...
                            X