X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• having problems getting replacement batteries

Sorry about the negative first post... Anyway, bought a kit a few years ago, registered with the LSA (got the little card from Ridgid) and am having problems with a warranty claim.

Both my 18V 2.5 Ah are loosing their charge so fast I have minutes of run time before they are spent. The last time I charged them, both were registering as defective on the charger.

Now back in July, I contacted the closest warranty center and they placed the order for the batteries, but the expected date keeps getting pushed back. I'm now over 2 months into it with a possible date of 9/28, they don't show any batteries anywhere in inventory. The best they can do is give me the 18v 2.0Ah batteries they have in stock, not sure if this is a short term fix that I will look back and regret. I do have a circular and sawzall, so the larger battery is probably better.

Any suggestions??
    Steve

Re: having problems getting replacement batteries

i have you tried any other repair facilities? failing that, i would go right to ridgid. the squeaky wheel gets the oil. tenacity pays off.
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

I would not accept a downgrade in batteries. If the service center can't get you the identical battery that came with your kit than I'd insist on an upgraded one if one exists for your kit. They'll probably just refer you back to the Service Center but maybe a call to Ridgid Customer Service might get you quicker results.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

perhaps I assumed, incorrectly, that if one repair place can't get the batteries, another would be no different.

If it is possible to go through ridgid, I'll wait until the 28th and if no batteries at the repair center, then pursue ridgid directly.

Thanks for the info!
        Steve

Comment

I decided not to wait, so I just called the 1800# and spoke with a gal named Chris. I was basically asked if it was an 18v battery before she wanted any other information, and that there are none in the country. They are expecting a large shipment at the end of the month to be made available to the service centers toward the middle of October. She made it seem that there was zilch I could do, nothing she was going to do, and that my impression was she was sick and tired of hearing about 18v batteries.

Apparently they say 90 days is their time frame, I have to give them that much time before other options are considered. I don't feed my family with a job that depends on these tools, lets just say I'm less than impressed by the warranty.

Comment

A "90 day time frame" sounds unreal - this is the first that I've heard of CS making that claim. I would talk it over with CS and with the service center - they can rebuild your batteries, and put new cells in them; you don't need entirely new batteries. To do that is well within the terms of the LLSA, and you shouldn't have to worry about a back-order issue.

IMO, if something goes past 30 days, it's unreal, especially in this time of FedEx and the like.

And, a bigger question is, if this is all truely accurate and legit (and that's a big if - who knows if this CS rep was talking out of her rear, and/or if the service center is just making bogus excuses), the question is why oh why is TTI/OWT and the service centers still/again having issues with battery repair/replacement, this far into the roll-out of it's products??!! These kinks should more than be taken care of by now. Pathetic if they can't get their stock and supply lines in order.
            Last edited by canucksartech; 09-23-2009, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
              And, a bigger question is, if this is all truely accurate and legit (and that's a big if - who knows if this CS rep was talking out of her rear, and/or if the service center is just making bogus excuses), the question is why oh why is TTI/OWT and the service centers still/again having issues with battery repair/replacement, this far into the roll-out of it's products??!! These kinks should more than be taken care of by now. Pathetic if they can't get their stock and supply lines in order.
              I bet if I walk into HD, I could buy a battery that is compatible with that tool. If the new sales pipeline is sufficiently stocked, they should be able to make the repair pipeline have sufficient stock.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                I bet if I walk into HD, I could buy a battery that is compatible with that tool. If the new sales pipeline is sufficiently stocked, they should be able to make the repair pipeline have sufficient stock.
                And that's what's sad. Many of us have been saying that for a few years now, as this is an adament must if they want their LLSA to be taken with any credibility or value. Granted, this is just one experience and one service center, and the words of one CS rep. But, there seems to be an issue with this being ever-present: whether the service centers can get parts/batteries/supplies from TTI/OWT.

We all heard the explainations after a new tool roll-out, say like with the 18 volt compact lithium-ion drill, that those with battery issues were having backorder problems at the service centers, that TTI/OWT couldn't/weren't able to supply the needed parts. And, we were told that this unfortunate hiccup was due to a new tool roll-out, that parts were getting in the pipeline, to bear with us, etc., etc. Well, all that is slightly understandable, however frustrating it may be. But if this OP and his service center is indeed having an issue (like many others continue to post over the past few years) in getting parts for even the older 18 volt ni-cad batteries, when is someone going to line up the VPs and management in charge of this parts shortage, and give them a good hard smack across the head??

Wake up, people! It isn't that hard to get your crap in order to properly run a functioning supply chain for your repair centers!

Comment

I wonder if the natural life of these 18v batteries is around 3 years, that is how old mine are. There might be a lot of folks with these that suddenly need to get them replaced. I'm not trying to excuse this backorder, just trying to make sense of the problem.

One of the reasons I bought this line was the lifetim battery replacement, as they always crap out at some point.

Comment

I am seriously worried about this situation. If a company promotes an idea to sell tools, they should be geared up to support it, or not offer it at all.

I am sure Skohler will eventually get his batteries. My real concern is the long-term impact this could have on RIDGID finances, and if this could become a drain on their resources.

To stock a battery/tool/spare part on the shelf is money that is not working. For example, if they have to stock 100,000 batteries (all ready to ship) of various sizes and types, and their average cost is say $20. that is literally $2 million dollars that is doing nothing. They could use that money to research/design new tools.

I'm sure they planned to work on a 'pull' system where the inventory was carried by the service center, and when the service center requested more inventory, RIDGID would then order the parts from their supplier, and have to hold very little inventory.

Unfortunately, many service centers have similar problems and don't have the funds to have much stock sit on the shelves, so if they have a run on their batteries/parts, the result is everyone has to wait.

My real concern is that this program may have the potential to bankrupt RIDGID. Many of us have bought our tools because of the LSA, and figured that we would keep them going 10 to 15 years ........ maybe more ...... maybe a lifetime. If batteries need replacing, and tools need repairing, RIDGID could potentially end up paying more to support the LSA than the original price.

To continue to make profits, they either have to sell to more and more people (like a Pyramid scheme), and sign up more for the LSA and keep ahead of the wave, or continue to come up with more and more exciting tools to sell at premium prices. In this day of competition and poor economy, it's tough to sell at premium prices (we are all looking for the good deals), that investment $s are just not there, and any stock for LSA parts, and the long-term repair costs, are just a drag on their investment $s.

There is a way to get out of it if it does become a drag on the company; that's to declare Bankruptcy. ........ maybe sell the line to B&D!?!

Comment

Just a quick note for clarification. There is a backorder situation with the 2.5aH NiCad batteries. The temporary fix is to send the lower aH battery as replacement and then fill the original issue when the proper batteries arrive. You would not be downgraded and actually would come out with an extra battery. Apologies for any confusion and inconvenience.

Comment

Originally posted by ProBrand View Post
                        Just a quick note for clarification. There is a backorder situation with the 2.5aH NiCad batteries. The temporary fix is to send the lower aH battery as replacement and then fill the original issue when the proper batteries arrive. You would not be downgraded and actually would come out with an extra battery. Apologies for any confusion and inconvenience.
                        That sounds like a more than fair fix to me. Thanks for clearing it up.

Comment

Is this something I have to ask for? I could have had the 2.0 aH batteries, but that was the final fix, not a temporary situation. Naturally I did not want a smaller battery.

One thing I just remembered about the 18v batteries is that the CS said that it was not just the 2.5 aH batteries, but the whole line of 18v including the lithium ones.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification, ProBrand.

The issue then becomes, like Skohler said, is that something that the customer would have to know and ask about? 'Cause that seems like something that the service centers would want to keep quiet about.

Also, a bigger issue is, is there a continuance of a parts and battery resupply issue? This is something that has been sort of the one black plague following these tools around for the past few years, with this issue continually peeking in and out. There are solutions out there, and yet this has gone on for too long.

Comment

As with any cordless power too I have ever had, the battery was the weak link. Never had a tool fail, only the batteries after a few years. My thinking is that the battery supply should be well funded and stocked anticipating this trend. It only makes sense.

I agree with canuck- the service center could be the ones loosing if they are not reimbursed for the short term fix (giving out the smaller battery). If they know this is Ridgid policy, I'm not sure why it was not offered in that way?

Comment

Working...
                              X