X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ridgid x3 vs milwaukee m18

im looking into purchasing a hammer drill and impact driver. i have the max select impact and it blows because i dont have the 24v batteries. but the new x3 version is much better. which will be better ridgid or milwaukee? (im looking at the 2611 milwaukee hammer drill btw.) i will be using 5 days a week and the impact is the primary tool, and i work for an aluminum window and door factory buliding the units. yes the hammer drill is excessive but i like the thought of having a do it all drill. my only problem is the only way to get the x3 impact so far is in the 5 piece kit at HD ($469). i found the milwaukee tools i need at wholesalepowertools.com for $359.95 for the 2 tools 2 full size lithium batteries and charger. i know money wise go ridgid in this case but which is better over all quality. thanks

Re: ridgid x3 vs milwaukee m18

I would go with the Milwaukee for severl reasons, hammerdrill has almost 100inlbs more torque (compare the specs) and I believe it is lighter which will be welcomed after hours of use. Milwaukee offers a much wider selection of tools if you decide to expand your cordless tool collection, grinders, the most powerful 1/2" heavy duty impact made (Ridgid doesn't even offer these tools). Get used to the idea that you will have to buy batteries a few years down the road. Please let us know what you decide and how it works out.

Comment

You considered the Bosch 18v at all? There is a Hammer & Impact kit that sell for $349 with 2 full size batteries. The hammer has same torque as Milwaukee and people really love the Bosch Impactors (toolsnob review). Down side is the Bosch 18v lithium line doesn't have as many tools as Milwaukee or Ridgid, if thats a concern. If not the Bosch is another good way to go.
      Jay
      Ohio Power Tool - Ridgid
      Coptool - Power Tool Blog

Comment

I personally own the Ridgid x3 5pc. Love it. Great kit along with power. 100" pounds more on milwaukee? My x3 can already spin my wrist around if I don't have a good grip on it. Plenty of power there? Both tool kits are of very good quality I think Ridgid gives you the better value in price and warranty.

$93 per tool (x3 5pv 479/5)
        $179 per tool (bosch 2 pc 359/2)

Get used to the idea that you will have to buy batteries a few years down the road.
        Don't get used to buying batteries at $100 per pop. Ridgid will give them to you for free. (assuming you take the time to register your tools)

This is just my opinion though. Good luck on your purchase!

Comment

The Ridgidx3 hammerdrill is rated at 565inlbs, the Milwaukee M18 hammerdrill is rated at 650inlbs. Much as I like my Ridgid tools, if I was going to purchase a kit now knowing what I know I think I'd go with Milwaukee because of the tool selection. Your personal tool needs, tool usage and other things must be considered. I hope when my nicads die, that Ridgid will replace them but so far they are really holding up a long time.

Comment

a friend of mine is an electrician and had the bosch kit and didnt like it much, and hes used alot of brands.(currently uses dealt xrp soon to change to ridgid) but thanks for the input. and firefighter i didnt think about how much it is if you break down the total price by five tools, because the milwaukee and bosch kits are the same price. my only worry about ridgid is i hope they get their customer service crap together. things ive read on here sounds a little lame to me. i registered the impact and compact drill kit i currently own so the paperwork/online form part of it isnt a problem for me. the main reasons im looking at milwaukee is the compact size and weight over ridgid and milwaukee has been making power tools longer and have a little bit better name in the power tool realm.

Comment

and future tool selection really doesnt matter for me. they both make the tools i need. but mainly all i need is a hammer drill and impact driver

Comment

If it is power you want the new DeWalt XRP hammer drill is the best available with lithium-ion battery packs. The DeWalt has a 3-speed gear box which is great for getting maximum torque to the drill bit regardless of the size hole or type of material you are working with. The DeWalt XPR has the same inch lbs. of power as the Ridgid X3 and about 80 less than the Milwaukee M18 but the DeWalt with it lower 1st gear range puts out more real world sustained torque to drive a drill or hole cutter or deck screw.

The DeWalt battery packs recharge in 15 minutes or less as compared to the Milwaukee M18 hammer drill's battery which take 30 minutes or more (I made a single 2-1/8" hole in OSB and it took more than 25 minutes to recharge the battery) and the Ridgid's battery which takes 45 minutes to charge.

I also have the Milwaukee M18 drill and it has the best chuck of any cordless and the best clutch setup and in theory has the most power. The DeWalt with its 3-speed range will actually drive a larger hole cutter than is possible with the Milwaukee or any other 18v cordless drill.

The DeWalt also has a side handle that wraps around the drill head and you can rotate a full 360 degrees for the best position. With the Milwaukee the side handle has to be at a 90 degree angle which is not always the best position when you need two hands to keep the drill from twisting. The Ridgid X3 uses the same design as the Milwaukee for the side handle - just mounting it below the chuck instead of on top bu with the same limitation of it having to be at 90 degrees to the handle.

I like a drill case and the one with the DeWalt XRP is very good, the one with the Milwaukee M18 is great, and the Ridgid X3 hammer drill does not come with a case, just a satchel. Not a problem for the drill but personally I would not want a charger and spare battery pack bouncing around loose in a satchel bag in the back of my truck.

Where Ridgit excels is in its low purchase price but I need a drill to get the job done as quickly as possible no matter what I encounter and for this the extra cost of the DeWalt XRP lithium-ion hammer drill kit is easily justified.

Comment

I'd just like to comment that I don't see how the difference in torque is really that much of an issue.

If you are really pushing the limits of the drivers ability, wont you more likely be using the impact driver instead of the drill? Why buy the driver at all if you are looking to drive something that requires that much torque with the drill?

Comment

And I also wonder why the x3 has less torque than the x2.

The site says the x2 has 585 in/lbs

Comment

i have Ridgid and MIwaukee, DeWalt, Makita, Ryobi. As an example on torque I used my 14,4v Milwaukee LocTor[Made in Germany] to mix 5 gal of Valspar semigloss ext. paint with a squirrel cage metal mixer. No chuck runout even with a 3 ft length and had no problem mixing. Tried my 18v Ridgid, huge difference in chuck, cheaper quality, runout made it hard to control and less power than the 14,4v.
                      There is a build difference now as Milwaukee is not made in Germany now.TTI builds both tools but there is a quality drop with Ridgid. Milwaukee, Ridgid,Ryobi in that order. They are directed at different markets. The Ridgid tools I like are the 24V drill, circ saw,jig saw, planer which Ridgid stopped making. The recip and impact, not so much. I have not used the X3. but I have never seen a Ridgid drill that did not have some noticeable run-out and a cheaper grade of chuck .
                      I would buy the Milwaukee for your use.

Comment

I mix drywall mud and thinset all the time with my 18V ridgids. I have two x2 "T" handles and a Pistol grip. All of them have done exceptional at mixing. I've pretty much delegated it to the pistol grip just because it's more comfortable for the task.

I have a milwaukee 1/2" hole shooter that used to do the job that I loan out now.

Comment

Working...
                        X