Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
R4511 Herculift question Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • R4511 Herculift question

    Hi, All.

    Just got my new 4511 and am putting together... I've downloaded all the helpful installation files and read through tons of the forum posts, but I've got an installation question that's stumped me.

    I've managed to get the base built and the Herculift installed - but I think I'm just not understanding how this thing's supposed to work. I've checked and doublechecked the installation. The step is locked ( the U-bolt is going through the hole under the step) and the things rolls okay, but I cannot lower the stands down enough to keep it from rolling... the feet drop out because I have to lower them too much.

    How is the Herc system supposed to work? Is it always supposed to be latched onto the U-bolt? Shouldn't the wheels NOT touch the ground until the step is pressed?

    Any help?

    Jim

    UPDATE: I'm likely to have a LOT more questions this lovely Saturday as I put this together, so I appreciate the forum help, all.
    Last edited by techwriter; 09-26-2009, 01:15 PM. Reason: updated question

  • #2
    Re: R4511 Herculift question

    Originally posted by techwriter View Post
    Hi, All.

    The step is locked ( the U-bolt is going through the hole under the step) and the things rolls okay, but I cannot lower the stands down enough to keep it from rolling... the feet drop out because I have to lower them too much.

    How is the Herc system supposed to work? Is it always supposed to be latched onto the U-bolt? Shouldn't the wheels NOT touch the ground until the step is pressed?
    It's a couple of days after your original post and you may have already figured it out, but I'll try to help anyway.

    I bought my 4511 on Friday the 25th, so I was also assembling it over the weekend, just like you. It took awhile, but I seem to have gotten it together without any hitches. I read all the helpful hints from this forum beforehand and took my time. So far, so good. I'll be sure to monitor this thread if you have any other questions that I can help with. Now, on to the question at hand.

    The u-bolt should only be latched when in 'lift mode', otherwise it should be disengaged so the feet sit on the ground. To lift the saw, press the right side of the silver pedal until you hear the u-bolt click and engage. Now you're free to roll.

    To disengage the lift, put your toes past the orange pedal, apply some pressure, roll your foot back towards your body and apply pressure to the orange pedal. The saw should set down on it's feet.

    Also, make sure the u-bolt is centered in the latch so there will be no binding when you try to (dis)engage.

    Hope this helps.

    Rick
    Last edited by Rick523; 09-29-2009, 10:24 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: R4511 Herculift question

      Hi, Rick!

      Thank you for responding!

      Although I did finally figure it out after a bit of tinkering, I'm glad to read your post and realize I did it right. I'm not done yet - I've still got to mount the fence and I'm going to try and do that before the weekend so I can actually use my tablesaw this weekend for a project.

      I posted a summary of my assembly in a separate post with pictures... would encourage you to do the same or just add your comments to my assembly post... it appears that many of the original 4511 posters on this forum are actually using their machines instead of checking the forum - how dare they?!

      Seriously, though - Yes, I've spent many hours reading through previous posts, comments, suggestions, etc... can't wait to start using this thing.

      Jim

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: R4511 Herculift question

        Originally posted by techwriter View Post
        Hi, Rick!

        Although I did finally figure it out after a bit of tinkering, I'm glad to read your post and realize I did it right. I'm not done yet - I've still got to mount the fence and I'm going to try and do that before the weekend so I can actually use my tablesaw this weekend for a project.

        Seriously, though - Yes, I've spent many hours reading through previous posts, comments, suggestions, etc... can't wait to start using this thing.

        Jim
        Same here. Lots of reading and assembling, but no saw dust yet. I need to tweak my fence rails. The fence is a little bumpy as I move it across the gap between the two rails. During assembly, I spent extra time trying to get the rails lined up with each other. Looks like my efforts weren't good enough the first time. Oh well, I'll just have to backtrack a little.

        One note, I started checking the TS alignments yesterday evening. So far, everything is dead on. The table top and blade line up great. Right out of the box, the fence was very close to square, but will need some fine tuning. I avoided removing the table top when unloading the saw into my garage just so I wouldn't have to re-align it. Looks like that decision paid off. Well, sort of. It was a bear getting the saw out of the pickup truck.

        I hope to finish fine tuning tomorrow so I can get to sawing this weekend. I have a pile of boards sitting on my workbench/outfeed table that's just begging to be turned into picture frames. They've been sitting there for a few weeks. I had just started cutting rabbets into them when my old TS gave up the ghost.

        Take care.

        Rick

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: R4511 Herculift question

          Rick, quick question if you're still checking this...

          My Herculift works... but when I look at it with the pedal down, those casters on the lower portion are at very odd angles. It make me think I need to tighten up on the bolts that make the "rectangle" of the lower section - not the bolts used to swivel, but the bolts used to hold the pieces together... they seem loose but not TOO loose... I could see if they are tightened a bit more it might straighten up the casters but it might also put too much resistance on the frame... thoughts?

          Jim

          ps. By the way, I moved to Atlanta from Houston 5 years ago... I do miss Houston, although you don't hear that many people saying that often. I really miss Texas... especially Bandera and San Antonio.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: R4511 Herculift question

            Gotta love San Antonio!!!!

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: R4511 Herculift question

              Originally posted by techwriter View Post
              My Herculift works... but when I look at it with the pedal down, those casters on the lower portion are at very odd angles. It make me think I need to tighten up on the bolts that make the "rectangle" of the lower section - not the bolts used to swivel, but the bolts used to hold the pieces together... they seem loose but not TOO loose... I could see if they are tightened a bit more it might straighten up the casters but it might also put too much resistance on the frame... thoughts?

              Jim

              ps. By the way, I moved to Atlanta from Houston 5 years ago... I do miss Houston, although you don't hear that many people saying that often. I really miss Texas... especially Bandera and San Antonio.
              I snugged my Herc bolts pretty good and everything lines up straight, including the casters, and the Herc works great.

              Glad to hear from another fellow Houstonian. I've lived here all my life. It's nice enough, but I would like to venture out someday and see what it's like to live somewhere else.

              Originally posted by CLDS View Post
              Gotta love San Antonio!!!!
              Yeah, my family and I love the San Antonio/New Braunfels area. We go out there as much as possible.

              Comment

              Working...
              X