My 4511 Assembly Notes and Comments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 4511 Assembly Notes and Comments

I purchased my 4511 on Friday, September 25th... there are plenty of helpful links on this forum for assembling the 4511 but not all of them were relevant to me... I figured I'd offer up my comments here for anyone who's interested. I'm not done yet, so there will be additional posts.

1. Because the 4511 is packed in a steel crate, you have to unpack it carefully. Previous 4511 comments on the forum indicated that the steel shell is taken apart by finding bolts underneath the frame. This wasn't the case for me - the bolts were screwed down (towards the ground) into a base of what appears to be thick slats of particle board. Eight of them in all, but I had to cut one of the bolt heads off because it simply would not unscrew. Total time was about 30 minutes - should have been 5.

2. Unpack carefully, and locate all the bags labeled "Diagram A" etc... don't open them yet. I had a handful of empty canisters - one per bag. Keep the bags since they have descriptions and measurements of the individual pieces - you may need this if a piece is missing or damaged.

3. Assembling the base - what a pain! The instructions, as many have indicated, are woefully inadequate. And you CANNOT use the drawings/diagrams as the basis for your assembly - some of the images are simply inaccurate, either with missing pieces or out of scale.

As the instructions state, ONLY finger-tighten the base assembly until you get the larger cabinet attached. It really is important. Using the sawdust chute is optional, depending on whether you will use a dust removal system (vaccuum). If so, attach it before putting the big cabinet on the base BUT BUT BUT be warned that later tightening down the base is a bit awkward, especially the bolts that are partially obscured/blocked by the sawdust chute... it's doable, but slow going.

4. My first mistake was assembling the Herculift incorrectly - what was my mistake? At first, it was simply attaching the lower portion to the base incorrectly - I attached the tubes ABOVE instead of BELOW the location on the base where they bolt down.

Second mistake was screwing the bolts into the nylock nuts too far - I didn't tighten them completely (as the instructions indicate) but the bolts were coming out of the nylock nuts about 1cm... the fix was actually backing them out AND having the bolt's end screwed in so it was FLUSH with the nylock nut - this works for me... I've seen other comments where the builder tightened them further, but only flush worked for me.

5. The U-bolt instructions were very vague - it tells you to screw the nuts on all the way before inserting but you'll actually need to screw them back quite a bit. Why? Because the metal plate that you'll step on, when installed, must be done in such a way that the U-bolt fits easily (and loosely) into the hole that the clamping mechanism forms... this may not make sense, but take a look at the bottom of the metal plate and you'll see what I mean - when closed (or when the orange pedal is not pressed), the mechanism underneath has a hole that the U-bolt must go through - you'll need to experiment with changing the distance the U-bolt screws into the tube until it fits easily in that hole. I'll try and take a measurement and post later, but my U-bolt seems to extend about 1.5" to 2" away from the tube... the picture in the instructions makes it look much less.

6. Once I got the Herculift figured out, I spent too much time worrying about trying to balance the four feet - I should have waited until the cabinet was mounted to the base before doing this - I really only seemed to be able to balance it once the cab was attached. Leaving the Herculift pedal down, I first screwed up the four feet so they weren't touching the floor - this means the casters were supporting it. Next, I lowered the feet until they were touching the floor but loosely. I released the Herculift and checked the balance. It wasn't sitting solidly, so I lowered the feet a little more, tested the balance... etc... eventually I got it so that when the casters are down, it rolls... when the casters are up, it's rock solid.

7. For installing the extra marble sides, the instructions are pretty easy to follow but they don't tell you to lower the leveling screws so the marble sides slide on easily... for my rails, the screws were up about 5mm or so and I simply unscrewed them by hand until they were flush with the rails... the marble sides slid on easily.

8. Other comments have indicated that balancing the marbles sides with the primary marble surface wasn't easy - I didn't have that issue. I used a large carpenter's square and was able to easily use the leveling screws to get the three surfaces smooth and flush. It did require a few back-and-forth tweaks with the screws, but once the sides were level I bolted them tight and re-checked the level - perfect.

That's all I've done to this point... tomorrow I'm going to try and finish the assembly and will post more...

Jim
    Attached Files

Re: My 4511 Assembly Notes and Comments

http://www.ridgid.com/Download/R4511_PR.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by DRC-Wartex View Post
      one
      trick
      pony

Comment

I already checked - my saw was manufactured later and the CD# is much later than the recall group...

Comment

Almost done with the assembly, but not quite - wanted to post some updated notes before I forget.

1. The metal arm that swivels and bolts to the front for grounding - loosen it up and swivel it to the front BEFORE attaching the power switch - it just doesn't clear it, but this step comes AFTER attaching the power switch.

2. The two pieces that make up the front arm connect together with a black square piece - when my two pieces are connected, they're not 100% straight but bolting them on to the L-beam seems to have fixed that issue.

Jim

Comment

All finished! The saw works great - only had time to run a few pieces of plywood through it but it'll get more use this weekend. Here are my last few notes about the assembly.

1. Installing the splitter was easy, but getting it to line up properly with the saw blade was a little aggravating. The instructions tell you to use a square to make sure the blade and the splitter are square with one another - you have to loosen and tighten four small screws to align it - I tried and tried and tried and finally got it right, but it could be better - I don't think this method of aligning is the best... should be a better way. The top portion of the splitter (that curves over the top of the blade) does not sit directly over the blade when the rear portion of the splitter is aligned, so I gave up trying to get it to align... there must be a very slight bend in the splitter that I cannot work around.

2. I was pleasantly surprised to find that when the blade was tightened up that it was 90 degrees perpindicular to the tabletop - no adjustment necessary. Same with the 45 degree angle... again, nice surprise there.

3. Attaching the fence was simple... as was getting it "zeroed" with the ruler. Used my 2-inch wide carpenter's square to set it and done.

4. Turning on the machine - very silent startup and quiet when not actually ripping. I didn't have a nickel handy but putting a hand on the table surprised me - no vibration on startup. When it's turned off and almost completely stopped spinning, there is just a slight vibration in the table...

Can't wait to put this thing to use on Saturday!

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by techwriter View Post
              All finished! The saw works great - only had time to run a few pieces of plywood through it but it'll get more use this weekend. Here are my last few notes about the assembly.

1. Installing the splitter was easy, but getting it to line up properly with the saw blade was a little aggravating. The instructions tell you to use a square to make sure the blade and the splitter are square with one another - you have to loosen and tighten four small screws to align it - I tried and tried and tried and finally got it right, but it could be better - I don't think this method of aligning is the best... should be a better way. The top portion of the splitter (that curves over the top of the blade) does not sit directly over the blade when the rear portion of the splitter is aligned, so I gave up trying to get it to align... there must be a very slight bend in the splitter that I cannot work around.

2. I was pleasantly surprised to find that when the blade was tightened up that it was 90 degrees perpindicular to the tabletop - no adjustment necessary. Same with the 45 degree angle... again, nice surprise there.

3. Attaching the fence was simple... as was getting it "zeroed" with the ruler. Used my 2-inch wide carpenter's square to set it and done.

4. Turning on the machine - very silent startup and quiet when not actually ripping. I didn't have a nickel handy but putting a hand on the table surprised me - no vibration on startup. When it's turned off and almost completely stopped spinning, there is just a slight vibration in the table...

Can't wait to put this thing to use on Saturday!

Jim
              Thanks for the narrative. We've been fairly neck and neck while assembling our saws. It's been nice to be able to compare experiences. My saw has needed very little adjustment to align blade/table/fence.

My only complaint right now is the two-piece front rail. I can't seem to get it aligned at the joint. The fence 'bumps' over it, which also skews the fence a little when I move it closer to the blade. That's my first chore this morning.

Take care.

Rick

Comment

Looking at buying the same saw... any thoughts now that you've had it for a few days...

Comment

Originally posted by iamwelty2 View Post
                  Looking at buying the same saw... any thoughts now that you've had it for a few days...
                  I'm still having trouble getting the two-piece front rail to align properly, so it looks like I'll need to replace it with one long piece. That'll be fine, since I can increase the rip width on the right without sacrificing any width on the left.

Other than the fence, I love the saw. I feel like I made the right decision. In fact, I was in Lowe's yesterday and they had a Hitachi hybrid set up. I had been considering this saw too before I bought the 4511, so I took a close look at it. The Hitachi saw didn't even come close to the quality of the 4511, even though they are comparably priced.

Take care...

Rick

Comment

I ran three large pieces of 4' x 8' plywood through it last weekend - cutting strips 4" wide and 8' long.

1. The marble surface is excellent - smooth and almost zero vibration
                    2. I used my mitre sled to cross-cut some sandiply (smooth plywood) into equal length shelving... again, straight cuts and no jaggies.

I'm very happy with the saw - I don't anticipate ever needing anything in the $1500 or higher range, so this saw fit both my price and my expectations for accuracy.

No regrets.

Comment

Working...
                    X