X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rugged plastic case?

Hello everyone, new around here so I'm not really sure if this is the best place for this post. Regardless, I just recently (20 minutes ago) went out and bought my first power tool. It is a R26001 5" Random Orbital Sander... I have used my boss's version of this sander in the past and have not a single complaint. From my limited experience it holds up far better then any of the competition, for work or "play". Getting to the point, my bosses came in a nifty little stackable heavy duty plastic container, I love it. I bought mine and it came in a canvas bag. I know the bag will put up with alot of abuse but I have limited storage room and stackable is always a huge bonus. Not to mention with a plastic container it would be less likely to get banged around and damaged... I digress, Can you buy the plastic container anywhere? The sales associate at HD suggested the website but I do not see an option to purchase just the case. Any aid is greatly appreciated!

Re: Rugged plastic case?

I loved the first few plastic cases that I got as well. But once the number of cases went from a few, to several, to many, to dozens, I now don't care much for them. They simply take up too much space. Two cubic feet of room in the truck is too much for one little sander.
    That canvas bag can hold the sander and sandpaper and a hand block sander and a rabbit plane and files and chisels... you get the idea.
    Try eBay to find just the case.

Comment

Ebay or pawnshops

Comment

One more thing -
        Your tool collection will soon grow to include battery powered tools.
        Research long and hard which manufacturer you want to go with, because once you buy one battery powered tool, you have to stick with that brand so that your batteries will be interchangeable.
        Examine not only the quality of the tool and its batteries, but the variety of different cordless tools that they make.
        It's an almost life-long choice you're making.
        My dad still has a 20+ year-old Makita cordless drill and a little string trimmer tool that uses the same battery!

Comment

I do believe that if you call Ridgid Parts, they can look up the part number of the plastic storage case from the earlier version of that sander that came with the case. You can then order the case directly from them if you wish. Also, as others have said, you do see them once in a while on eBay.

Comment

Thank you all for the tips. Also, Earlier today I went out to my shop to work on constructing a bookshelf. When I went to sand down the boards I realized my R26001 just didn't have the torc of the R2600 I had previously used. So I dug out the 2600 and it smoothed out a line left by my old man's planer in 3 passes (hit a bullet in the first board). I had just gone over it 15 or so times with the 01 with barely a result. Slightly dissapointed I drove back to HD to exchange the 01 for a new one, before leaving I asked if we could test it so I wouldn't have to come back again... They agreed and that one had the same problem, the motor seemed to be running as well as the 2600 but it just wasn't spinning nearly as much as it should be, it had the vibration but the 2600 puts it to shame. So we tested another, and another. All with the same problem. The gentleman at the service counter had less of a clue then myself (hard to do) so he called down an "Expert" an older guy who said it was working as it should... is this a defect in the 26001, or just something that wears off after a while of use? The 2600 was purchased from a dealer who switched to another tool company, I've yet to use one right off the shelf. If it is a matter of using it for a bit I'll feel a bit silly but be glad to know it's temporary.

After leaving HD I returned home, grabbed the 2600 and went back again. After comparing all the specs and seeing that they were the exact same thing I brought it back to the service counter. Both admitted that it was superior to "More agressive than" the 26001s they had in stock but didn't know why that might be. The response was "Well, what do you want me to do about it? It is what it is."
            Last edited by 1st_yr_carpenter; 10-04-2009, 03:08 AM.

Comment

You may be expecting too much from a little $50 hand sander.
              If you want to remove material, move up to a belt sander, then polish it off with the orbital.

Comment

I too just bought a 01 and have a 00 model. The 00 spins faster when it is on the wood. The 01 does not. I read something about a "brake" that wears out in the tool. I thought maybe this might be why my old 00 spins and the new 01 does not.

I kind of like the 01 better because it gives me more control over how much material I want to remove. As posted earlier if you want to remove a lot of material use a belt sander.

My 00 model has the hard plastic case. Like everyone says they do take up quite a bit of space. I have so many plastic cases on my shelves. But I still like having a solid case vs a bag

Comment

I spoke with my boss who owns the 00 and he brought up that it may indeed not be the 01's that have the problem but the 00 instead, as when he first bought (used) from a dealer it didn't spin quite so fast. He believes much like you said that there is a break inside that may be worn out. His idea, which I like is to get one of each. An 00 that the break is worn down on, and a 01 that works as it should. I don't know, guess we see what happens, took the advice from dairyfarmer and looked at some belt sanders today. It's on the shopping list to be sure.

In terms of the plastic/canvas cases I still like the idea of the plastic case if only bringing a few tools to a job so the sander doesn't get banged around in the bumpy truck, whereas in the shop the canvas bag would be much more suitable due to lack of space. We'll see how it pans out and in 5-10 years I'll probably have a ton of plastic cases come back on here and msg everyone saying "you were right" lol

Thanks again everyone

Comment

Working...
                  X