X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 18V Lithium Ion Problem

bry, what did you figure out or do about your batteries? I'm having a similar problem....

Mine are about 4 months old and seem to not be holding a charge for long. They were fully charged before first use, stored at room temp, etc. They were working great as I was using them pretty often up until about a month ago. They weren't put away empty but I pulled them out this weekend to use and both were dead. Charged them both, used one a little...now two days later one of them lasted less than a minute.

Comment

Anyone else have information on how they resolved this problem? I have the 4piece kit and after maybe 8 charges and having them stored inside for a few months one will now hold a charge a total of 1minute after recharging it for 1-2hrs.

Thanks
      -Doug

Comment

Originally posted by MarkyZ View Post
        Hey Guys, i have a question that could be a newbie question, but I can't find someone who is having the exact same problem as me, so I thought i'd post it just to be safe.

I bought a 18V Lith Ion Drill Kit. I charged the batteries used them a little then put them away for about a month. Today I went to use the drill and both batteries were dead. I tossed one battery on the charger and after about 1 minute the charger started flashing both the red and green lights meaning DEFECTIVE. I removed that battery and tossed on a second, the same thing, after about 1 minute it showed DEFECTIVE.

As all I needed to do was hang some pictures, I put one of the batteries in my drill and was able to drill the few holes that I needed. The battery seems to have lots of life for a battery that only has 2min of charge max.

I am running the batteries at room temperature in case you were wondering

Any ideas as to what may be causing this? Should I be paying a visit to the repair depot? Thanks for any and all help.
        I'm having the exact same problem... batteries worked the first few times (fully charged after purchasing). I didn't know I had to jump through any hoops to enable the LSA, the guy at HD just said oh, they have a "lifetime warranty" now I'm stuck with tools that are unusable. I travel all over the US with my tools, and the first time they quit working I was working in NYC... that was quite a disaster. I changed my whole crew from DeWalt to Ridgid... really regretting it now.

Comment

Just to follow up. The local service center was very helpful. They keep the batteries, charger, and drill though to verify that it was nothing else causing the problem. They will ship them back UPS for free if you live in a different town.

Now to see how long it takes. Was told 1-2 weeks usually, though sometimes as long as 2.5months.

Comment

So how did it work out?

I have a large 18v lithium and a small one. I had to leave it on overnight to get it to charge. Still doing the both lights flashing thing. You just have to let them charge for a long time?

Thanks

Comment

i had the same problem. batteries only last a couple months, then had to be replaced (through the LSA).

i would charge them, go to use them the next day and they were dead.

hopefully these last a couple years, i don't like wasting my time going there and getting them replaced, even if they are free. i want reliability as well as quality.

Comment

Working...
              X