X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18V Lithium Ion Problem

Hey Guys, i have a question that could be a newbie question, but I can't find someone who is having the exact same problem as me, so I thought i'd post it just to be safe.

I bought a 18V Lith Ion Drill Kit. I charged the batteries used them a little then put them away for about a month. Today I went to use the drill and both batteries were dead. I tossed one battery on the charger and after about 1 minute the charger started flashing both the red and green lights meaning DEFECTIVE. I removed that battery and tossed on a second, the same thing, after about 1 minute it showed DEFECTIVE.

As all I needed to do was hang some pictures, I put one of the batteries in my drill and was able to drill the few holes that I needed. The battery seems to have lots of life for a battery that only has 2min of charge max.

I am running the batteries at room temperature in case you were wondering

Any ideas as to what may be causing this? Should I be paying a visit to the repair depot? Thanks for any and all help.

Re: 18V Lithium Ion Problem

Bummer about the problem you are having. Welcome to the forum and hopefully we can help.
    I have experienced some strange charger responses a few times over the last few years. I would run the batteries for a period of time either working them or locking the trigger. Then I would place them on the charger. If you continue to experience the defective warning I would pack up the entire kit and return it to Home Depot for exchange.
    Let us know how things work out.....Ray

Comment

I'm having a similar problem. I actually have four batteries and two chargers and this past week all four batteries will not hold a charge. I got a second charger and two batteries as part of my reviewing a new Rigid drill last year. One will show defective but the others will indicate a full charge on the charger but when you use them they won't last. You can actually hold the chuck as soon as you put them on the drill and it can't turn it. So now I'm wondering if it's something to do with the drill since all four batteries and two charges won't do the job.

Comment

Originally posted by keithmcdonald View Post
        I'm having a similar problem. I actually have four batteries and two chargers and this past week all four batteries will not hold a charge. I got a second charger and two batteries as part of my reviewing a new Rigid drill last year. One will show defective but the others will indicate a full charge on the charger but when you use them they won't last. You can actually hold the chuck as soon as you put them on the drill and it can't turn it. So now I'm wondering if it's something to do with the drill since all four batteries and two charges won't do the job.
        Double bummer.....I assume you have tried both chargers. I would pack up the whole bunch and head over to my local Ridgid authorized service center for evaluation.
        There have been some reports on this forum of less than satisfactory results at some service centers. Good luck and let us know what your results are.....Ray

Comment

My solution: Purchase Makita

I had the same problem with my Ridgid set. I returned them and went with Makita.

Sorry

Comment

Originally posted by MarkyZ View Post
            Hey Guys, i have a question that could be a newbie question, but I can't find someone who is having the exact same problem as me, so I thought i'd post it just to be safe.

I bought a 18V Lith Ion Drill Kit. I charged the batteries used them a little then put them away for about a month. Today I went to use the drill and both batteries were dead. I tossed one battery on the charger and after about 1 minute the charger started flashing both the red and green lights meaning DEFECTIVE. I removed that battery and tossed on a second, the same thing, after about 1 minute it showed DEFECTIVE.

As all I needed to do was hang some pictures, I put one of the batteries in my drill and was able to drill the few holes that I needed. The battery seems to have lots of life for a battery that only has 2min of charge max.

I am running the batteries at room temperature in case you were wondering

Any ideas as to what may be causing this? Should I be paying a visit to the repair depot? Thanks for any and all help.

when you originally bought the kit, did you fully charge both batteries before using them? If you charged them "a little" and then used them a little, you most likely left them dead and they self-discharged beyond "no return" point. If not, you got defective batteries that might not have been stored properly before you bought them. If at least one cell in the battery overdischarges, the whole battery will become unusable. If you are within 90 days of original purchase, bring the whole kit back to HomeDepot and get a new one. DO NOT take it to a service center unless you are a masochist or past 90 days.

PS: And stay away from makita LiIon.

Comment

Hey Makita LXT are okay, I've got a few of the tools. They aren't the most powerful overall, but you have to give them credit for doing what they've done with their battery platform which is now getting on 5 years old. And I think it goes without saying that if it weren't for them pushing the envelope, we wouldn't have everybody making compact impact drivers, and the DCD970.

Oh and aren't DeWalt using (gasp) *Sony* cells in their new compact batteries? Or is this just a rumor?

Originally posted by DRC-Wartex View Post
              PS: And stay away from makita LiIon.

Comment

Originally posted by Sceeter W Wheels View Post
                Hey Makita LXT are okay, I've got a few of the tools. They aren't the most powerful overall, but you have to give them credit for doing what they've done with their battery platform which is now getting on 5 years old. And I think it goes without saying that if it weren't for them pushing the envelope, we wouldn't have everybody making compact impact drivers, and the DCD970.

Oh and aren't DeWalt using (gasp) *Sony* cells in their new compact batteries? Or is this just a rumor?
                Did you know there are different chemistries of LiIon? Gasp! Dewalt uses Sony cells that are LiFePO4, exact same chemistry as A123 in 2.4Ah batts. And Makita uses LiMnO2 cells which are half the price and quarter of the cycle life. Hope that answers your failed sarcasm.

Comment

Originally posted by Sceeter W Wheels View Post

IT'S NOT A RUMOR

Comment

I don't know of any difference, but I would expect that the Sony cells would be different from the A123 cells. Patents last for 16 years (I think).

DRC has done a commendable job of promoting the DeWalt A123 cells that I was pretty much sold that if I got a tool with that type of cell, I would have the 'Best of the best'. Looks like DeWalt no longer has uses that cell. Any idea what the problem is; cost, performance, life, etc?

DRC, Thanks for your input on many threads. I've learned a lot. Don't like the bickering (just let it roll off rather than taking the bait). Would be interested in your real thoughts on his change in DeWalt chemistry. Sony and A123 batteries are not the same, I'm assuming the chemistries are not the same, but if they are, something is different. The link from Kanxrus indicates such, and I am sure Patent laws will prevent them from being the same.

Comment

Alright back on topic, I'm a loser and have lost the receipt so i'm keeping the kit. I did however register the kit online.

Today when I got home from work I used the drill a little more, tossed the battery on the charger and to my surprise, it charged normally, and after about 1/2 an hr it showed the single green led. meaning FULLY CHARGED.

When I initally purchased the kit I fully charged both the batteries, used one, re-charged the one and then put it away.

I'm happy that it's back to normal but am slightly annoyed that this happened to begin with, I was hoping that going with LiIon i'd have less problems then what I had with my NiCad Ryobi.

Comment

Ughhhh! So much misinformation! Let me clear it up point by point.

Originally posted by Calder View Post
                        I don't know of any difference, but I would expect that the Sony cells would be different from the A123 cells. Patents last for 16 years (I think).
                        The specs are nearly the same. There is such thing as licensing, and there are dozens of vendors who make LiFePO4 (aka iron nanophosphate) cells. Patents cover many components beside the cathode material, such as membranes, electrolytes of which there is huge variety. Patents don't prevent Sony from making cells that use the same chemistry and specs.

Originally posted by Calder View Post
                        DRC has done a commendable job of promoting the DeWalt A123 cells that I was pretty much sold that if I got a tool with that type of cell, I would have the 'Best of the best'. Looks like DeWalt no longer has uses that cell. Any idea what the problem is; cost, performance, life, etc?
                        This is a gross misunderstanding. Only compact batteries will be using Sony cells. Normal batteries will continue to use A123. Also, being LiFePO4 cells they are still best of the best and have the same cycle life.

DRC, Thanks for your input on many threads. I've learned a lot. Don't like the bickering (just let it roll off rather than taking the bait). Would be interested in your real thoughts on his change in DeWalt chemistry.
                        Again: There is NO change. Only compact batteries will use Sony, and the reason being is lower cost and different target market. A123 are the "premium" cells, they are $11-$15 per cell. They are only a little better but cost 40% more, just like anything else "high end".

"Compact" batteries will be included with "consumer" kits to replace 1.7 Ah NiCds as well as "ergonomic" kits to compete with other brands' "compact" kits. These batteries will still eat any compact Bosch/Makita/Milwaukee/Ridgid alive just like the full sized do.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkyZ View Post
                          Alright back on topic, I'm a loser and have lost the receipt so i'm keeping the kit. I did however register the kit online.

Today when I got home from work I used the drill a little more, tossed the battery on the charger and to my surprise, it charged normally, and after about 1/2 an hr it showed the single green led. meaning FULLY CHARGED.

When I initally purchased the kit I fully charged both the batteries, used one, re-charged the one and then put it away.

I'm happy that it's back to normal but am slightly annoyed that this happened to begin with, I was hoping that going with LiIon i'd have less problems then what I had with my NiCad Ryobi.
                          Mark, even if you lost a receipt, you can still go in there and return/exchange them. If you return an item without a receipt, they can give you store credit for the item, and you can just go pick up another one. Or, if you explain to them the situation, they'll probably just let you do a straight exchange, as long as you are getting the exact same kit. But also, if you paid by a credit card (I believe maybe with a debit card also, not 100% sure on that one), but with a credit card, they can look up your receipt with your credit card and do the return/exchange that way.

Comment

I have the Ryobi three tool Li Ion set (18 volt) and couldn't be happier with them. Also have some older Blue tools (impact driver & right angle drill/driver) and the batteries interchange so it's easier to use whatever is charged.

For reference I also have two yellow Dewalt 18 volt drills and the lime green Li Ion units are really better.

Comment

I am having charging problem with my batteries. I can fully charge batteries and they don't last long. This drill set is only 4 months old. Not to happy with this drill........

Comment

Working...
                              X