Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid oscillating multi-tool...coming?

Does anyone know about Ridgid turning out an oscillating multi-tool like feins. Since Fein's patent has expired others are jumping into the market (PC, Bosch, etc) I've heard rumors that Ridgid has one in the works. I'm wondering when and will the blades be proprietary and will it be available in the US.

John

Re: Ridgid oscillating multi-tool...coming?

If past experience is any indication of what to expect, there will be no advanced promotion of a new tool. It will just show up one day on the shelves at HD/
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

The HD is pretty inconvenient to me (25min) compared to Lowes (5min) so I dont' go there often. I wonder if I can sign up for an email notification or something...

Comment

Originally posted by John-Charleston View Post
        The HD is pretty inconvenient to me (25min) compared to Lowes (5min) so I dont' go there often. I wonder if I can sign up for an email notification or something...
        Nope. Keep wondering.

That's the worst thing about the whole TTI/OWT/Ridgid team up - no one is really taking the lead with planning and development and promotion. There's massive ads and store displays and promos and industry sneak-peeks for new stuff coming out in the Ryobi, Milwaukee, Homelite lines, etc., but with Ridgid, there's no initiative. There's such potential there, but no one has got the balls to work with it. Even once stuff is on the shelf, there's this lag time of sometimes up to multiple months before anyone knows what's going on. There's no set national roll-out plans, as certain areas get stuff weeks and months ahead of other areas. It's like the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing. Ridgid has a great thing going, with this web page and this Forum. But TTI/OWT isn't taking advantage of it - let alone doing no promo/release work, it's like they don't even let Elyria know what's going on with their Ridgid-namesake power tools.

So, an e-mail campaign to notify of a new and desired tool? No siree. As smart and deft as that would be, and as commonplace as that seems in business/marketing now, no one in South Carolina seems to be taking this brand line serious at all, to actually put some miniscule amount of work forward with something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
          If past experience is any indication of what to expect, there will be no advanced promotion of a new tool. It will just show up one day on the shelves at HD/
          Maybe show up on shelves maybe not re R2401 trim router for example

Comment

How much it should be?
            rockwell sonicraft |rockwell sonicrafter|fein fmm blade |power tool|Fein top|tools

Comment

Originally posted by peerawit View Post
              How much it should be?
              If it's over $149 (for a corded version) don't even bother coming out the gate with it. For a battery powered version I think it could go slightly higher, provided it uses a battery form that is already in use in another tool. A unique battery would kill this version of the tool off too.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

It would make sense for this to potentially come out in the 12 volt lithium-ion setup, if it comes out in a cordless version. We'll have to wait and see - if it's coming out at all / if it's a cordless version / etc.

Comment

I think proband should give us some hints on new tools in the works!!! I know your reading these threads so come on! Milwaukee is churning out innovative 12 volt tools like crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by pesciwasp View Post
                    I think proband should give us some hints on new tools in the works!!! I know your reading these threads so come on! Milwaukee is churning out innovative 12 volt tools like crazy.

I have the Bosch 12v LiI impact and driver and after reading various reviews on their MT I would pass on the battery option as the run times are poor.Ridgid would be no different. I would like the Bosch corded tool available in the EU. Not sure why they market only the cheaper made Dremel. Using the $34 HFT one for now and it actually is OK.

Comment

I've talked to people in Ryobi Marketing and I'm under the impression that there is a "counterpart" for Ridgid. Perhaps that's just my perception, but when this past summer's "Friends and Family" offer, was first introduced, via e-mail, as both "Ryobi and Ridgid" and then within hours it became just "Ryobi", it became obvious. At that time, I called Ryobi Marketing for clarification and was told that the "Ridgid Marketing guys" wanted to do their offer separately. So, that tells me that there must be some person/group/whatever making decisions on behalf of the "Ridgid" product line.

But that said, I've too often run into challenges that are very specific to Home Depot alone. While it probably involves most every brand they carry; for my own interests, I specifically focus on Ridgid and Ryobi; and with those specific brands, there's some definite problems with bringing "available" products to market within specific stores.

From my experience, the problem seems to be devided between regions; but more often, specifically to store managers. While it is reasonable to expect that since products are limited in supply and coming in from the Pacific Rim, then "roll-outs" may start on the west coast and ever so slowly spread across to the east coast. But that appears to be only with certain types of products. For example when things like the Ryobi Tek4 line hit the streets, they are within days at every location across the country. But tools like an upgraded drill press or bandsaw may take months to reach all stores.

However, what I've run into quite a bit is specific to the region or even to the store manager, who may well refuse to put a new model on the shelf, until all the old model inventory is gone. Example: When I heard the new R4330 plainer was coming out, I waited months to see one. Kept asking about it with both the sales guys and the service desk... NOTHING! So, I bought the last TP1300. I bought it at 5:30 PM and returned to the store at 8:30 AM the next morning after deciding to pickup an extra set of blades... and there was the NEW R4330. Obviously I bought the last TP1300 (which I knew) and only then, did the previously "we know nothing" product come out of the closet.

While I fully expected this policy, it was clear that Home Depot's practice is to simply "lie through their teeth" in order to prevail in getting rid of old stock. (I did call "Atlanta" to complain of the practice and was told that I could bring the TP1300 back and swap it... but that wasn't the point I was trying to make!)

(BTW, I much preferred the TP1300 anyway, but was hoping to see the new model differences first, before I made the decision.)

Presently there is no new trim router on the shelf, though it was introduced months ago. Ryobi's 12-inch variable-speed drill press didn't show up on the local shelf until almost two years after it was introduced. The Ridgid 2410 hasn't been in evidence until just three weeks ago! (While highly interested in that specific saw, my local store didn't have them, didn't know about it, and specifically told me that the 2400 was discontinued. While knowing that wasn't true, I can't buy what I can't get... so I bought the Ryobi BTS21! I'm happy with the Ryobi and it does what I needed it to do... but it's NOT the the Ridgid, which I would have muched preferred.)

Bottom line, IMHO, is that TTI has some very serious problems with it's Ridgid brand. While I love the products and own many, the marketing effort seens to be very poor and product announcements and rollout is almost unprofessional in it's nature.

I have difficulty understanding the link between TTI and their product presentation here on the website. But I think none of the problem is here, and it's probably a bit frustrating on this end with the lack of available information from what appears to be the TTI/Ridgid marketing group that is somewhat less than forthcoming.

But for me, the purchaser, a really big stumbling block is Home Depot's distorted view of product sales, deception, and total lack of candor with the availability of new product models.

CWS

Comment

Well said.

Comment

Very well said

Comment

Working...
                          X