Just got a 2424 Table Saw- Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got a 2424 Table Saw- Questions

I just picked up a used 2424 Table Saw- I hope you guys can answer some questions for me!!!

1) How does the warranty work? Does it cover the motor if it dies?

2) The top of the table is rusted and really dirty. It won't effect performance- but- is there an easy way to clean/polish this up?

3) The guy didn't have the guard fence with it. Additionally- there's missing 4 screws missing in the red plate around the blade (I forget what this is called). This causes the plate to sit a little high to where it interferes with the fence. Can I order these parts?

This is my first Ridgid tool- replacing a Craftsman Table Saw that died on me, I hope this is an upgrade in the right direction! I appreciate any/all help!

Re: Just got a 2424 Table Saw- Questions

1.) There is no warranty on second hand tools. You buy used, you get what you get.

2.) Use the Search feature at the top of the page. Use Rust Removal as your search subject and you'll find numerous threads on this subject.

3.) You can pick up those set screws at any hardware store. Just bring the throat plate with you to make sure you get the proper sized ones. As for the missing blade guard, that assembly can be ordered from M & D Mower.
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Ahhh- bummer on the warranty. I really thought it applied. I probably would've looked at new if that was the case. Dang!

Also- there's a weird looking extra piece that came with it. It looks like a large saw- with a straight blade on it. What is that used for?

I appreciate the info- Thanks!

Comment

WOW! The replacement cost on this motor is $560! That's insane! The entire unit didn't cost that much new! I just hope it doesn't go out on me anytime soon...

Comment

If you don't have a copy of the Owners Manual, you can print out one here. It kind of sounds like you're describing the splitter with the blade guard missing from it.

As far as the motor is concerned, you certainly should be able to find one locally for much less than $560 is the need ever arises although I doubt if it ever will. Those Emerson built motors last a long time.

Comment

Well, that's good to know. I really hope that motor holds out well. That's the reason I bought this unit- the motor on my 'Crapsman' burned up- and the replacement was $140 + shipping, tax, etc. I paid $150 years ago for the entire saw. LOL. Plus, the awesome reviews/posts on this saw sold me.

Thanks for the help guys!

Comment

that's a great saw. i would check with ridgid. the last time i posed that question to their CS, the response was that the older saws (2412, 2424, 3612) were guaranteed for life. unllike today's ridgid power tools, which will be repaired for the original owner by ridgid for life if LSA registered, the guarantee was associated with the tool, not the purchaser. i'd make the call to them and let them show you a written policy which excludes you (a second owner).

for the rust, i would use topsaver and a course scotch brite pad:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...71&filter=rust

then finish it off with 2 or 3 coats of johnson paste wax. i find it works better when applied and removed immediately, don't wait for it to haze over.

a photo of the piece you are describing would be helpful in determining what it is. good luck with your new saw.
              there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

13 and 14 amp Emerson/Craftsman motors are pretty easy to find on Ebay in the $75-$125 range.

Comment

Here is the Ridgid Warranty that was in effect when I purchased my 3612 back in 2003. You can interpret it any way you want to...........

What is covered?
                  RIDGID tools are warranted to be free of defects in workmanship and material.
                  How long coverage lasts
                  This warranty lasts for the lifetime of the RIDGID tool. Warranty coverage end when the product becomes unusable for resons other than defects in workmanship or material.
                  How can you get service
                  To obtain the benefit of this warranty, deliver via prepaid transportation the complete product to RIDGE TOOL COMPANY, Elyria, Ohio, or any authorized RIDGID INDEPENDENT SERVICE CENTER. Pipe wrenches and other hand tools should be returned to the place of purchase.
                  What we will do to correct problems
                  Warranted products will be repaired or replaced, at RIDGE TOOLS option, and returned at no charge; or, if after three attempts to repair or replace during the warranty period the product is still defective, you can elect to receive a full refund of you purchase price.
                  What is not covered
                  Failures due to misuse, abuse or normal wear and tear are not covered by this warranty. RIDGE TOOL shall not be responsible for any incidental or consequential damages.

Comment

Working...
                  X