Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
"Dual Saw" Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • "Dual Saw"

    'fess up, who has/wants one? btw, thank you to the poster of the link for the ridgid tool belt for $5, made a present of one to my helper.

  • #2
    Re: "Dual Saw"

    Nobody I know has one. It's a gimmick if you ask me. Have you priced the replacement blades?
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: "Dual Saw"

      Originally posted by Bldr View Post
      'fess up, who has/wants one? btw, thank you to the poster of the link for the ridgid tool belt for $5, made a present of one to my helper.
      Your welcome !

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: "Dual Saw"

        price any quality metal cutting blade of that type,
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: "Dual Saw"

          are we talking about the sears twin carbide cutter with opposite rotating blades?

          if so, neat idea, but junk as far as working.

          i've had a few returned as they wouldn't even work right out of the box. the blades were rubbing to tight from the factory.

          even the one i have now smokes when cutting metal.

          junk.
          phoebe it is

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: "Dual Saw"

            I'm just a sucker for a good infomercial, plus I've got a truck I may have to cut aand stuff in a roll off as I missed out on the ca$h for clunkers program...

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: "Dual Saw"

              just read the dual saw is one of ridgids new 2011 tools.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: "Dual Saw"

                Be aware...if you are left handed the Sears/Craftsman dual blade saw
                is dangerous to operate!!!!

                The unit is designed for right handed use only!

                I have one and another challenge is the fact the dual blade cuts a wide kerf almost 1/4"+ you lose a lot of material and typically a straight cut is difficult to accomplish.

                The tool vibrates, it's too loud, and the cooling sticks are junk! let alone they do not really flow easily through their track when cutting metal.

                A clever concept, but a good tool to avoid!


                Cactus Man

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: "Dual Saw"

                  I was watching that ad again today, and noticed they include what they called "lubricating sticks" for metal. Wonder what that is all about? And just how long can a carbide blade stay sharp cutting metal...even softer metals like copper and aluminum? I also wonder if any of the items they cut are steel...or is it all soft? Can you cut a cast iron soil pipe with this? Maybe using the optional diamond blade for stones.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: "Dual Saw"

                    Originally posted by lovetheUSA View Post
                    I was watching that ad again today, and noticed they include what they called "lubricating sticks" for metal. Wonder what that is all about? And just how long can a carbide blade stay sharp cutting metal...even softer metals like copper and aluminum? I also wonder if any of the items they cut are steel...or is it all soft? Can you cut a cast iron soil pipe with this? Maybe using the optional diamond blade for stones.
                    For years we have been using a carbide blade multi cutter from Dewalt, #872. Works great. Only downfall is you need a different blade for stainless steel. I used one about 3 years ago to cut strut channel and threaded rod on a job site. All of the other contractors came by to watch. The saw makes a lot of noise but the material doesn't get hot and it cuts way down on the sparks. We did the Corning Museum of Glass in Corning NY a number of years ago and the PC version of the saw was invaluable. We constantly had to make new brackets and braces and our welder just clamped a piece of steel (most was 1/4" thick) and cut what he needed. It was way faster than anything else.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: "Dual Saw"

                      Originally posted by museum_guy View Post
                      For years we have been using a carbide blade multi cutter from Dewalt, #872. Works great. Only downfall is you need a different blade for stainless steel. I used one about 3 years ago to cut strut channel and threaded rod on a job site. All of the other contractors came by to watch. The saw makes a lot of noise but the material doesn't get hot and it cuts way down on the sparks. We did the Corning Museum of Glass in Corning NY a number of years ago and the PC version of the saw was invaluable. We constantly had to make new brackets and braces and our welder just clamped a piece of steel (most was 1/4" thick) and cut what he needed. It was way faster than anything else.
                      i have the same dewalt 14'' saw. works great with little sparks and little heat. ridgid also makes a similar saw

                      but this is not the saw that we are discussing

                      the saw that's being discussed is a dual blade 5.5''-6.5'' opposite rotating twin carbide cutter

                      sears has been selling one for several years. even costco has one for $129.00 now.

                      all the same designs that don't work too well.

                      i've had several and they all were lousy. the first few were defective right out of the box.

                      i've had much better luck with my steel cutting circular saws.

                      rick.
                      phoebe it is

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: "Dual Saw"

                        http://www.toolsnob.com/archives/201...idgid.php#more
                        here is s a link to toolsnob. no pictures but a little teaser information.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: "Dual Saw"

                          Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          i have the same dewalt 14'' saw. works great with little sparks and little heat. ridgid also makes a similar saw

                          but this is not the saw that we are discussing

                          the saw that's being discussed is a dual blade 5.5''-6.5'' opposite rotating twin carbide cutter

                          sears has been selling one for several years. even costco has one for $129.00 now.

                          all the same designs that don't work too well.

                          i've had several and they all were lousy. the first few were defective right out of the box.

                          i've had much better luck with my steel cutting circular saws.

                          rick.
                          I know this is a different saw, was just commenting on the previous post about carbide blades and cutting metal, especially steel.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X