X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Oil in rd6800 generator

I recently purchased a rd6800 generator and have misplaced the manual. It runs 12 hours a day, 5-6 days a week. How do I change the oil and how often should this be done considering the amount of use.

Re: Changing Oil in rd6800 generator

1st oil change at 20 hrs
    then change every 100 hrs
    use 10w-30 oil in your area, can use sae-30 in summer months
    check air filter at every oil change
    check/adjust valves every 300 hrs

Comment

I'd also recommend checking the oil daily. Takes what... 30 seconds if that. Small engines running constantly like that can use a bit of oil, especially the thinner stuff. Later!

Comment

I recommend use of a good conventional 10W-30 oil of a good name brand. I would do the first oil change after about 5 running hours, the next after 20 more hours and because the small engine on a generator works hard doing oil changes every 50 hours thereafter. Please do check oil level each time you fill up the fuel tank and be sure to keep things clean. You do not want dirt getting into the oil filler and thus into the crankcase. As for how much oil your engine takes, I'm trying to find out more info about the Yamaha engine which powers it. I'll post more when I can. Good luck with it. Another thing is to please run it on 89 Plus rather than 87 Regular grade gasoline. This really does make a difference. And finally once you have about 25 total running hours on the engine adding 1 Fl. Oz of Marvel Mystery oil to 2-1/2 gallons of gasoline in your storage can and then putting that into the tank of all of your 4 cycle engines really does help keep the fuel system clean and it provides some upper cylinder and valve lubrication. I know this may seem like a PITA but it really does help. The same for gasoline auto engines. I get it in gallon jugs at Walmart as it's less $$$ that way than in smaller bottles. If you look around in housewares you should be able to find a measuring shot glass with 1/2 Oz lines on it which helps with getting the right amount. Remember 2 Oz per 5 gallons of gasoline and you'll do well.

Hint: If you buy gasoline at Sunoco they actually blend regular 87 and 93 super at the pump. To save some $$$ get 2 gallons of Super and 3 of Regular which ends up the same as Plus grade. If you have any air cooled 2 cycle engines like on weed trimmers, chain saws or leaf blowers please run them on Plus 89 gasoline and use the oil recommended by the manufacture. In most cases this will be a 50 to 1 mix.

The Marvel Mystery Oil dose is a 320 to 1 mix and is just enough to help. The issue is with pollution controls on most 4 cycle engines you really can't safely burn oil with gasoline in larger amounts and not foul up sensors and/or catalytic converters.

With my OLD timer (1965 and earlier) gasoline engines, I run a 100 to 1 mix of MM Oil and plus grade gasoline in them and they do last longer.

Comment

Just bought 8000 generator and during setup I noticed there was some oil in it already. I added some of the oil that came with the generator but want to be sure I do not overfill. Should generator be empty when new?

Comment

I'd think it would be quite common to have some oil in the engine as most companies test things like this before shipping out. I'd just top it off to where it needs to be and go with that. Later!

Comment

Working...
            X