R4510 DADO Throat Plate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: R4510 DADO Throat Plate

was anyone able to order one? I need to order one asap...

BTW, in the meantime, is it unsafe to run the dado without the throat plate?

Comment

I made a post similar to this a while back, but for my R4511 saw. It was suggested that I too make my own. I used the origional plate to copy from and cut it out of 1/2" stock. I made several for the different sizes of dados that I use and have several blanks for new sizes... it was stupid easy to do...

Comment

i called my local service centers and they said there is no such part number.... why is it so difficult to get this piece?!

Comment

Re: R4510 DADO Throat Plate/Update

Hi,all
          Just wanted to let everyone know that I had just received my Dado Throat Plate for the Ridgid R4510 Tablesaw today (2-8-2010) for the total of $2.06 plus shipping. If anyone is interested in want one you can order one from this website online,https://www.ereplacementparts.com, once on the site just type in,AC31DP1 in the search box and hit enter and you will then see the part and just put in how many you wish to order,please note that these do not come with the set screws used in leveling the throat plate but I am sure you can purchase them anywhere also remember that when I ordered mine that it was back-ordered and it took me 1-month to receive mine because they told me that they had to order it from the manufacturer. It will be delivered by UPS and they keep you updated and your order comes with a tracking number. You can also call them and talk to their representatives. I believe the st screws size is: 10-32 x 5/16, you may want to ask them for sure and the cost for the screws is : 84-cents each. I hope this helps anyone who has purchased this fantastic table-saw. I almost forgot, the Dado throat plate is made out of the same material as the standard throat plate ( steel ).

Comment

I was told by Ridgid today that they hope to have distribution of the Throat Plate sometime in July of 2010, wow what a wait.

Comment

I have the same Table saw and this is a link to a Dado Throat Plate for $2.06 I have not ordered this item or tried it......

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/dad...-p-449420.html

Comment

Someone must have moved a decimal point last year because the same part is now $28.39 (eReplacement) or $31.23 (Gardner). Neither supplier has one. No wonder they're on backorder; they were all bought up at $2/per.

I could make one, but I don't have a router or a band saw; my new Ridgid R4510 was my first big purchase and I bought specifically so I could do dado cuts.

Argh!!!

Comment

I know this is an old Thread But I'm also in need of this Dado plate

home depot sells the product tells the customer the part is easy to get and only a few bucks when they're selling the saw. now i find out the part is 40 to 60 bucks shipped. you guys do realize the saw sells between $300 and $400 bucks Good warranty good price on the saw but the customer service from your service depot in London Ontario is Horrid I sure hope I don't have any service issues if it's this hard to get a simple part I hate to see how long it will take to get fixed if i have a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by RONAVISH View Post
                    I have just purchased a RIDGID R4510 Tablesaw at Home Depot. It is a fantastic saw but,there is one problem. I can not find a dado throat plate for it and even after calling RIDGID they could not find a dado throat plate either plus they could not even find my model of saw. I am at wits end on this problem. Has anybody else come across the same problem? Does anybody have any idea where I can purchase a dado throat plate or a zero clearance throat plate that will fit this model ? The owners manual said to use a 6 inch stacked dado set but,others including RIDGID said you can use a 8 inch if you want with no problems but yet this is the same company that coild not find a dado throat plate for mine even after I gave them the part number and they could not even find my model. I just bought this saw in September (2009). Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. RONAVISH
                    I made my own plate for standard use. I marked the outline (using the factory plate) on a piece of 3/8-inch thick chipboard, and cut the thing with my band saw. A piece of wood or chipboard or mdf that thick should sit nicely on the stabilizer bosses lining the plate cutout area, although some slight, bottom-edge sanding of the new plate might be necessary.

The trick is getting the blade cut into the new plate, because a stock saw blade will not retract far enough for the new plate to fit entirely into the recess. After removing the riving knife assembly, I VERY carefully centered the plate as far down as I could without touching the retracted blade and then pushed the plate straight downward to seat while the blade was running. (Once seated, the blade should not cut clear through the new plate.)

I then held the plate fast at the front and rear and raised the blade as the thing turned and cut upwards as far as required. I did not raise the blade extremely high, but still made a cut that was long enough to fit the knife and allow me to cut boards more than 1.5-inches thick. Going any further upward would compromise the integrity of the new plate. Reinstall the riving knife, and you are in business.

A dado blade should allow this to be more easily done, because the plate should seat all the way with the blade retracted, and so the upward cut of a new slot should be less risky, although the blade will obviously be removing a lot more material. Go slow.

A finished plate like this will have a tendency to be pitched out of the recess when the blade is turning, so I installed a small tab at the back underside which reaches under the cutout area. That stabilizes the plate nicely. I both screwed and glued the tab in place, just to make sure.

The attached photo shows the plate (it also has two finger holes), and also shows part of an extension I installed on the back of the saw that acts as an outfeed support. I have an article somewhere on this site that explains how the extender was built and installed.

This is a great little saw, by the way.

Howard Ferstler
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Howard Ferstler; 05-06-2011, 04:23 PM. Reason: Name used twice

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Ferstler View Post
                      ......I VERY carefully centered the plate as far down as I could without touching the retracted blade and then pushed the plate straight downward to seat while the blade was running.......
                      did you do this free handed?
                      there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
                        did you do this free handed?
                        Not quite, and I should have been more descriptive. With the initial cut I carefully pushed the plate down as the blade turned. One would think that the blade (a Freud Industial ripper) would have snagged and caused problems, but it did not. The blade is almost low enough to clear the plate, so even when the 3/8-inch plate was seated the blade had not cut all the way through.

Then, once the plate was seated I held it down on one side with another flat board running front to back, and pushed down while cranking the blade upward to the height (and groove length) that I wanted. To accommodate the riving knife, I then pulled the plate forward a bit, lifting it slightly out of the opening, to give the required clearance at the back.

The tab attached to the underside of the back of the plate is a metal piece an inch or so long, with a hole in one end that allows it to be screwed to the plate from below. Two-part epoxy was also used to guarantee a solid mount. The tab can be bent to allow for a snug fit. The tab makes sure that the plate is not lifted by the back of the blade as it spins.

I know this sounds tricky, and I suppone one could expect to have the plate thrown into one's face if something snags during the procedure. It is best to NOT stand in direct line with the plate as the cutting job is done. The whole thing is semi risky, but not as risky as, say, base jumping or swimming with sharks.

Howard Ferstler

Comment

so you held the ZCI blank in your hands as you lowered it onto a spinning saw blade with no throat plate set in the table? better you than me.

Comment

how i cut my zero plate in.
                            to make the plate i dbl taped metal plate to mdf and used a trim bit on the router table.
                            while still taped to the mdf(had to be upside down due to tabs) in to make the copy.
                            i remounted plate back into saw ,clamped down and raised the blade thru the new plate.
                            can't imagine someone trying to center and push down onto a running blade to do this..

Comment

Originally posted by terry603 View Post
                              ....can't imagine someone trying to center and push down onto a running blade to do this....
                              my point exactly. i've seen and heard of some potentially disasterous ways of doing things, and this is right up there with some of the most ill advised techniques i've ever heard of.

Comment

Yeah, the part about pushing the plate down on a spinning blade kind of worried me too!!

I made mine, R4511 but the concept is the same, by using a pattern bit and the original insert plate on the router table as well. I then put a 1/4" bottom cutting bit in the router, again on the table, and set the fence to cut a cavity in the bottom of the new insert. Then the blade does not contact the insert, and can be raised to cut the slot in it.
                                Brian

Comment

Working...
                                X