Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the DL on tool kits with Li-ion packs/ other LSA-eligible Li-ion battery sources?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the DL on tool kits with Li-ion packs/ other LSA-eligible Li-ion battery sources?

If I got correct info from a Ridgid online response, bafflingly, NO Li-ion batteries are warranted past the basic 3-year warranty - other than those that happen to come with Ridgid's tool kits. That was my first unpleasant surprise after buying two 1.5a-h packs and a charger. But then, not having been on this forum or otherwise in an inner sanctum, I belatedly discovered I could - and possibly should - have bought the larger 3.0 amp-hr batteries - but I never knew they even existed...(how would I have? no packs are EVER on the shelves at my local Depots...) No worries, I thought - I need another couple of packs anyway, so maybe I will buy a kit to have a backup drill, and I might make good use on an impact as well.

But even with the benefit of closely scrutinizing Ridgid's three currently-available kits online (http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Battery-...s/EN/index.htm), it ain't easy to tell what's in their packs:
    a) X3 18V Lithium-Ion 5 Pc. Combo (mentions only "...2 battery packs...")
    b) 18V Lithium-Ion Fuego Compact Combo Kit (mentions only "...Compact Lithium-Ion Battery..."
    c) 18V Lithium-Ion 4 Pc. Combo (this one states, "...3.0 Amp Hour Lithium-Ion Battery...")
    (quoted from Ridgid kit web pages)

So someone please tell me - it looks like kit (a) has the 3.0 amp-hr packs, but I am only judging by the photo. True?

As for (b), I take it "Compact" means the smaller 1.5a-h packs, yes?

But is buying one of these three kits REALLY the only way to get an LSA on either type of Li-ion pack? I mean, maybe I could use a spare drill & an impact, but I sure don't need another recipro or circular saw, and I'm ambivalent even about another battery worklight. And if I have to choose between only kits (a) and (c), well...those are pretty limited choices.

Stepping back, can anyone cite working circumstances when the smaller 1.5a-h pack was intolerably under-capacity, while the 3.0a-h pack performed admirably? This would help me to get a sense of what tasks might be frustrating if I choose the smaller-pack kit.

Finally, is it true that Ridgid has completely dropped NiCd packs from this line?

Mahalo,

Dave

Re: the DL on tool kits with Li-ion packs/ other LSA-eligible Li-ion battery sources?

Welcome to the Forum, lots of good folks here. I have the five piece nicad set and it's been great. I don't think I would purchase the Ridgid line again for several reasons, customer support gave out too much misinformation regarding batteries and chargers, the tool line is very limited compared to competitors. I have the Ryobi lithium ion drill, and if it is any indication of lithium ion batteries in general they have their problems. I agree that not being able to buy individual tools is frustrating and costly if you are forced to buy kit after kit in order to get the pieces you need. Personally If I was going to purchase a cordless tool line today, I would probably go with DeWalt or Milwaukee. They offer a wide range of tools and at this point I'm willing to buy replacement batteries when I need them.

Comment

Re: the DL on tool kits with Li-ion packs/ other LSA-eligible Li-ion battery sources?

Regarding Ridgid batteries and their NOT being eligible for the LLSA if purchased separately: It is my understanding that individual purchases (extras, so to speak) of either NiCads or Li-ion batteries are NOT eligible for the LLSA... it isn't just the Li-ions.

I only have one Li-ion tool, the compact drill-driver which I believe was the initial Li-ion-powered compact tool that Ridgid introduced. So, I can't speak for the larger tools, but my little 12-volt seems to last forever. Two batteries came in the kit and I swap them when needed, but I can go days and sometimes a week or more without having to charge. Only problem with the Li-ion is that cold weather diminishes the storage time.

Regarding, other brands as opposed to Ridgid's limited individual tool availability... I think it's a very valid point. I'm not one to make purchases of combo's, especially if it's a tool that I don't have an immediate need for. The contrary side of that, is when I see close-outs on a combo where the price of the group is almost the same as the "wanted" tool is individually. Believe it or not, that has happened on a couple of occasions, at my local HD.

I do have a problem with the fact that some tools aren't available separately and personally I think it's a dumb idea. Also, if Ridgid has the confidence to sell it's cordless tools with an LLSA that covers it's batteries and chargers, then why should individual purchases of batteries and chargers NOT be covered? I don't comprehend the logic of that marketing.

So while I'm a Ridgid fan, I think a person needs to look at the competition and go with what makes sense to them. Ridgid's line is limited and though the LLSA is an attractive feature, it's not the biggest reason to buy orange, especially if buying a tool is at a premium price because they throw in other tools that you may not want or need. A combo is only a bargain if you need everything that's there.

CWS

Comment

808Pants
        [QUOTE=808Pants;257930]If I got correct info from a Ridgid online response, bafflingly, NO Li-ion batteries are warranted past the basic 3-year warranty - other than those that happen to come with Ridgid's tool kits.
        ........In fact(sadly) NO individual Ridgid batteries of any composition provide the LSA, only those purchased as part of a kit.
        But even with the benefit of closely scrutinizing Ridgid's three currently-available kits online (http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Battery-...s/EN/index.htm), it ain't easy to tell what's in their packs:
        Welcome to the world of incomplete and confusing information known as the Ridgid web site. Fortunately they build better tools than web sites.
        a) X3 18V Lithium-Ion 5 Pc. Combo (mentions only "...2 battery packs...")
        b) 18V Lithium-Ion Fuego Compact Combo Kit (mentions only "...Compact Lithium-Ion Battery..."
        c) 18V Lithium-Ion 4 Pc. Combo (this one states, "...3.0 Amp Hour Lithium-Ion Battery...")
        (quoted from Ridgid kit web pages)
        a) Photo looks like 3.0Ah batts
        b)Again photo and "compact" makes me think 1.5Ah
        c)Looks like 3.0Ah
        If battery size was important to me I would confirm by looking at a kit in a HD or calling Ridgid customer service.
        But is buying one of these three kits REALLY the only way to get an LSA on either type of Li-ion pack?
        Purchasing a kit is the only way I know of to obtain the LSA for Ridgid batts
        Stepping back, can anyone cite working circumstances when the smaller 1.5a-h pack was intolerably under-capacity, while the 3.0a-h pack performed admirably? This would help me to get a sense of what tasks might be frustrating if I choose the smaller-pack kit.
        The circular saws and large recip saws are power hogs and I do not believe they would perform well with the 1.5 batts. A hammer drill would probably be challenged using the 1.5 batts. Most of the other stuff... compact drill, impact tool, jig saw, compact recip and flashlight would perform OK with 1.5. With that said, all of the tools would perform more effectively using the 3.0 amp batts.
        Finally, is it true that Ridgid has completely dropped NiCd packs from this line?
        We have several Ridgid tools that use the 9.6V, 12V, 14.4V and 18V NiCad so I certainly hope that isn't the case. More to the point 14.4V and 18V Ridgid NiCad batts are commonly available in HD's around here and I haven't seen any announcement that Ridgid is going to discontinue support of the NiCad batts therefor I am hopeful. I believe by law they have to support the line for some period of time after they are discontinued. We recently had a discussion in the shop on that topic and all concurred on the law, however there were many differing estimates as to the length of time that the tool needed to be supported. Maybe someone on this forum knows the facts.
        Hope this was helpful......Ray
        Last edited by roadrashray; 10-19-2009, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Hey, anyone know if I can charge a lithium battery on the older nicad charger?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
            Hey, anyone know if I can charge a lithium battery on the older nicad charger?
            Yes, of course YOU can, however only on the one you had modified to charge your toothbrush!
            Ray
            Last edited by roadrashray; 10-19-2009, 03:56 PM.

Comment

thanks for the replies...

WRT Ni-Cd availability - doubtful. I spent 20 min or so today in a local Depot trying to wangle an "upgrade" they had offered when I complained (on a local popular-demand basis? I dunno). It would have replaced my failed 2-year-old 18V NiCd pack with a Li-ion 18V with me paying the unknown cost difference - figured it wouldn't be too much, maybe $25. Another store had suggested this was routine for them, but at that location, can't seem to get any 18V packs in (typical Depot shuffle, where they're "supposed to be there," but... aren't...) Anyway, I found the needed pack in this store, and they were going to do the "upgrade" replacement based on the retail difference between the NiCd and the Li-ion...but then the NiCd pack could not be located in their pricing system, as if purged. A couple of their tool people told me they're now "obsolete."

Comment

Originally posted by 808Pants View Post
                If I got correct info from a Ridgid online response, bafflingly, NO Li-ion batteries are warranted past the basic 3-year warranty - other than those that happen to come with Ridgid's tool kits. That was my first unpleasant surprise after buying two 1.5a-h packs and a charger...
                Well, it sounds like you had just purchased a solo charger and then two individual 18 volt 1.5 Ah lithium-ion batteries. I'm presuming then that these were not bought at HD, because they/Ridgid don't sell these items like that. Sounds like this was an eBay/online purchase. Which, if so, leads me to say that no, there would be no LLSA. Because, if you read the LLSA documentation, it says (paraphrasing) that batteries are LLSA covered for those that were purchased as part of a kit (hence, not the solo 3.0Ah clamshell packaged batteries), and either way, only those purchased at an authorized retail store (HD) and registered with a receipt are valid for the LLSA.

Anything that you buy from Ridgid has the warranty logos on it, right on the packaging (3-year warranty, LLSA, etc.)

Comment

Working...
                X