X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid - R861150 - X3 hammer drill -18v LiIon - bit wobble

when i put a bit in it, it did not spin true it wobbles. sometimes it wobbles worse than others. and YES i have tried taking great care when closing the chuck.

sometimes it has about 3/16" of wobble. yuk!!

it also makes an awful clatter when it stops spinning in high speed. is this normal?

the drill hasnt even made it to the jobsite yet. i think it will be returned.

has anyone else experienced such problems?

has anyone had any experience with the milwalkee cordless drill or their cordless tools set?

thanks!!!!

Re: Ridgid - R861150 - X3 hammer drill -18v LiIon - bit wobble

1) bit wobbles-I would check to confirm that the chuck mechanism is properly tightened to the drill. The procedure for this is in the operator manual. Failing that, if the drill is under 90 days old I would return the entire set to HD for exchange or refund. If the set is over 90 days, take it to a Ridgid authorised service center for evaluation and repair.

2) Noise when trigger is released when on high speed-That is most likely the electric brake mechanism functioning and is normal.

3) Ridgid and Milwaukee cordless tools are both manufactured by TTI in China and I believe they are both equiped with the same Jabobs chuck.

We are a contractor and have several Ridgid drills and Hammer drills and use and abuse them on the job every day. We have a large inventory of Ridgid tools and have generally found them to be of the same quality as tools we own from other professional suppliers such as Dewalt, Makita, Milwaukee, et all.
    Hope this has been helpful.....Ray
    Last edited by roadrashray; 10-22-2009, 07:49 AM.

Comment

i picked up a second ridgid r861150 drill at home depot.

this time i tested it out in the parking lot. less than tem minutes later i was back in the store returning it.

it had the same wobble as the first one did.

i found another thread here, there have been posts since 2007 complaining about this wobble.
      http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...=wobble&page=2

bye-bye ridgid.

i will go shoplifting for a better product.

Comment

Originally posted by mr ross View Post
        i picked up a second ridgid r861150 drill at home depot.

this time i tested it out in the parking lot. less than tem minutes later i was back in the store returning it.

it had the same wobble as the first one did.

i found another thread here, there have been posts since 2007 complaining about this wobble.
        http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...=wobble&page=2

bye-bye ridgid.

i will go shoplifting for a better product.
        I went through three until i found one with almost no run-out. Just went from Home Depot parking lot right back inside to change them.

Comment

I'm not sure if other manufacturers have this problem on occasion, but Ridgid-brand sure does! Complaints seem to come in waves though and are not consistantly in the posts. (It's been a couple of years now since the last batch of complaints, I think.)

I had a problem about five years ago with my 14.4 Drill/Driver, but it was an easy fix with the, then local, service center. Several other complaints at the time with both 14.4- and 18-volt models at that time.

When the 12-V Li-Ion drill/driver was introduced, there were several posted complaints regard "chuck wobble". I bought that tool at the time, and only found the outside sleeve of the chuck to be loose and therefore "looked" wobbly... but the bit, itself, at least on my drill was okay.

Now once again, here are some more complaints. Apparently TTI is having some quality control problems.

RoadrashRay,

You may be up on things more than I am. But the last I knew, TTI owned Milwaukee and was licensed to use the Ridgid brand name on it's Chinese produced power tools (some are made in Taiwan however); but, the Milwaukee brand was still being made at Milwaukee facilities and not necessarily in China. (Though some components may be.) That of course could have changed, since the Milwaukee company was purchased three or so years ago. Either way, I do not think "Jacobs" brand name chucks are employed, at least on the Ridgid-branded products. I own three Ridgid drills and none of them have used the "Jacobs" brand chucks. (But maybe they should !)

OOPS! I am WRONG! reConx and Joe from NY have both pointed out the "Jacobs" brand on thier chucks and I took another look at my 18-Volt Hammer Drill and sure enough, there is the "Jacobs 700 Series" marking. Same with my older 14.4-Volt Drill, which is marked "Jacobs 510 Series". My apologies!!! (The 12-Volt Li-Ion Drill Driver does not have a "Jacobs" chuck though.)

CWS
          Last edited by CWSmith; 11-01-2010, 11:44 AM. Reason: My Mistake!

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post

Now once again, here are some more complaints. Apparently TTI is having some quality control problems.

RoadrashRay,

You may be up on things more than I am. But the last I knew, TTI owned Milwaukee and was licensed to use the Ridgid brand name on it's Chinese produced power tools (some are made in Taiwan however); but, the Milwaukee brand was still being made at Milwaukee facilities and not necessarily in China. (Though some components may be.) That of course could have changed, since the Milwaukee company was purchased three or so years ago. Either way, I do not think "Jacobs" brand name chucks are employed, at least on the Ridgid-branded products. I own three Ridgid drills and none of them have used the "Jacobs" brand chucks. (But maybe they should !)

CWS
            The R861150 that I just got today has a Jacobs 700 Series chuck on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe from NY View Post
              I went through three until i found one with almost no run-out. Just went from Home Depot parking lot right back inside to change them.
              With todays mass-produced products one has to check out any new power tool purchase no matter the brand to avoid getting a defective one. Ridgid has the standard 3yr warranty and LSA when registered (power tool+battery).

Comment

Either way, I do not think "Jacobs" brand name chucks are employed, at least on the Ridgid-branded products. I own three Ridgid drills and none of them have used the "Jacobs" brand chucks.
                My local HD still has a few dusty (pre-TTI) Milwaukee power tools on display and the ones for sale are all made in ROC. Guess I better hold onto my (pre-TTI) Super Sawzall and 1/2"Magnum drill.

My old Ridgid 18V 3/8"drill driver and 18V hammerdrill (pre-X3) have Jacobs brand chucks, 500 and 700 series respectively. I'm not sure what brand is on the newer Ridgid drill drivers but they perform ok.

Comment

ReConx,

It appears that I am wrong in my presumption about "Jacobs" chucks on Ridgid drills. Question though, any "Jacobs" chucks that I have seen are clearly marked with the "Jacobs" name, are they not?

I have a 14.4 Drill/Driver (about 2004/5) and an 18-Volt X2 Hammer Drill (I think that's 2006 or 2007), and the small 12-Volt Li-Ion compact drill and none of them have a chuck that is marked with the "Jacobs" brand, or any other identification. I also have the 1550 drill press and it does not have a "Jacobs" chuck either.

OOPS! I am WRONG! reConx and Joe from NY have both pointed out the "Jacobs" brand on their chucks and I took another look at my 18-Volt Hammer Drill and sure enough, there is the "Jacobs 700 Series" marking. Same with my older 14.4-Volt Drill, which is marked "Jacobs 510 Series". My apologies!!! (The 12-Volt Li-Ion Drill Driver and the does not have a "Jacobs" chuck though.)

Thanks,

CWS
                  Last edited by CWSmith; 11-01-2010, 11:45 AM. Reason: My Mistake!

Comment

It appears that I am wrong in my presumption about "Jacobs" chucks on Ridgid drills. Question though, any "Jacobs" chucks that I have seen are clearly marked with the "Jacobs" name, are they not
                    CWS, your posts here and on other forums are always interesting, educational and helpful. Jacobs chucks may not be the absolute best chuck but they have a good reputation in the industry and are usually on better power tools. I got a couple shots of my old 18V drills:

Attachment

Attachment

X2 R8411003 1/2" hammerdrill
                    ___R84001 3/8" drill/driver

The first X2 was exchanged at HD due to a bad wobble/squeal.....probably dropped or just defective.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Mine i just bought Sunday 10/21/10:

Last edited by Joe from NY; 11-01-2010, 09:28 AM.

Comment

ReConx and Joe from NY,

Thanks guys... I guess these eyes need an adjustment (or maybe I'll just blame it on my "brain" or lack there of).

After seeing both of your photos, I took another look and there is the "Jacobs" markings with 700 series used on the 18-Volt X2 hammer drill and a "Jacobs 510 series" marked on my older 14.4 Volt drill/driver (the one I had a wobble with).

The sleeves are black on mine and I honestly, and obviously, never saw the brand markings. I have a couple of much older corded drills and the "Jacobs" brand is engraved in the sleeve and not back on the collar, as with the newer Ridgid drills. (That isn't much of an excuse though... sorry.)

So again, I thank you both for the much needed education... I hate making mistakes.

CWS

Comment

CWS,

I wouldnt call it a mistake. If memory serves me Ridgid did move away from Jacobs chucks for a short time before the X3 drill came out and obviously went back to them.

reConx you will be happy to know the sawzalls are still American Made in Mississippi along with the blades. The Magnums have been sent overseas though. Think they are the only Recip saws still made here come to think of it.

Comment

To summarize this thread, is there anything we should look for or avoid in the R861150 X3 to reduce the potential for runout? Should we be checking for a certain series of Jacobs chuck or avoiding it all-together?

Comment

I just got a new Milwaukee 2602 hammer drill in a set with the 18v impact driver. The chuck on the drill wobbles. Go to Amazon and you will see a lot of reviews for the new Makita hammer drills say their chuck wobbles. I have an older 14.4v NiCad Milwaukee drill that does NOT wobble. Maybe just a sign of the times...

Comment

Working...
                              X