X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first 4511 tablesaw project

Finished my first project with my new tablesaw... it's a garage wall hanging system that I got from the pages of this magazine - here are a few pictures.

I modified it a little bit by using cedar colored 1/4" paneling and then adding the strips of plywood for the hangers. I'm next going to prime and paint the horizontal strips dark blue to match the epoxy flooring I also put down. It was a garage project weekend!

(By the way - the Rustoleum Epoxy Shield product I used is absolutely awesome - wish I'd done this years ago. Can't recommend it highly enough...)
    Attached Files

Re: My first 4511 tablesaw project

you did a very nice job.

Cactus Man

Comment

Thanks, Cactus Man! I've only done 1/2 of the garage... because I don't have any place to store my saw, worktables, etc... I had to move everything to one side, prep the floor, paint with epoxy, and let it dry.

Now I move everything to the finished side, and start over. But when done... it's going to make working in the garage a lot nicer and more efficient.

Jim

Comment

that space is really nice, but its wwwwaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy to neat!
        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

For now... clean for now...

Comment

any practical tips/pitfalls to be aware of regarding the Rustoleum Epoxy Shield product that you would care to pass along?
            there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Make sure you etch the surface(if highly polished floor) before you apply the epoxy . Ive done 30 or so garages and forgot to etch first on one of them and now its coming off.

Comment

I'm thinking about doing my workshop. How do you go about "Etching" the concrete for paint?

Comment

I purchased the 2.5 car garage kit - $100 at Home Depot. Why? It comes with 2 of everything that's included in the "single kit" - the epoxy is created by mixing a smaller can (A) with the bigger can (B) and the chemical reaction makes the mixture harden after you put it down. The kit I had came with two A cans and two B cans which was perfect because I couldn't paint my entire garage at once... if you closely at the last picture I posted, you'll see a blue tape line that I used to split my garage.

I'll have to take some measurements for you, but I don't think 1 kit would have worked - maybe, but I was running low on the mixture when I finished the first half of the garage, so I'm glad I bought the 2.5 kit.

My kit also came with two bags of "etch" - the documentation says it's a citric acid and safe on grass/plants - it smells okay, too, but you're not supposed to breathe it in - I wore a mask for both etching and painting.

I'd heard that painting the surface all hinges on the prep work - removing oil stains, etching, and then the painting. For me, I bought some industrial strength degreaser/etcher (yes, it claims to do both) and followed the instructions - basically not cutting it but pouring it directly on the spots... waiting 10-15 minutes, scrubbing hard, rinsing with hose and squeegee - then do it all again. After two degreasing scrubs, I mixed one bag of etch with 2 gallons of water. You wet the garage completely with a hose (not too much water though) and then pour down the etching water. Scrub scrub scrub. At this point, I figured with the degreaser/etch twice and then the citric acid etch that my floor would be ready. It was.

I mixed the two cans - waited 30 minutes (this was based on the day's temperature - 65 degrees - warmer days give you less time to wait after mixing before you starting painting. After 30 minute wait, I used a brush and painted along the walls and step to back door. 15 minutes later I used a 1/2" nap roller brush to put down the rest. The instructions state to put it down in 4x4' squares, but I actually did 2x4 strips (longer than wider) so I could make sure the paint was good and wet and coverage was good. I bought a small 1/2 gallon plastic bucket, punched about 5 holes in the bottom (1/4" in size) and poured in the small chip bag (you get 2 bags with the 2.5 kit). After painting each 2x4 strip, I just shook the bucket and covered the paint with the chips. This is done to taste and I didn't go crazy with them - one bag lasted perfectly and covered 1/2 my garage.

Instructions state foot traffic after 12-16 hours - so next day it was dry to the touch and I could walk on it - 2 days to move heavy stuff on it (like my tablesaw) and 3 days to park on it.

I love it. This 1/2 of the garage looks awesome. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Jim

Comment

One additional note: Look closely at the last picture and you'll notice that I did not paint over the blue painters tape dividing the garage. I was able to etch up to the blue tape BUT when it comes time to etch the other half, I don't want the etching/degreasing stuff to mess up the epoxy I've already put down... so I stayed away from the dividing line about 7-8 inches... this will let me etch the other half and give me a little breathing room... I'll remove the tape and paint the already etched section that I missed with the other half of the garage.

Jim

Comment

Here are some more photos.

Jim
                      Attached Files

Comment

Looking very good two thumbs up!

Comment

Here are some final figures - you can see my nice (and semi-clean) 4511 tablesaw along the right-side wall... I've got a lot of plans for it over the next few months, including a cedar strip canoe I've been preparing for (as well as one of the big reasons for getting my garage organized).

The only things left to do are:

1. I plan on painting the horizontal hanging plywood strips dark blue... will help protect the wood as well as look nice.

2. I need to build about 10 more hangers and I've got 6 10x12" shelves to also prepare that will attach to the wall system.

3. I have about five or ten big things left to hang up - ladder, upper hangers to hold 2x4s, wood strips, etc.

My wife can still park her car in the garage (a requirement) but she's agreed to let me leave it outside here and there when I need more work space. All in all, I'm very happy with my new workspace.

(The 17' canoe will sit on the right side of the garage while I work on it, allowing my wife to still park her car... I'll try and remember to post some pictures of that project when I get it started - all the cedar strips must be cut to the same dimensions so I plan on building a jig of some sort for the tablesaw... I've also got a router table that will be moved into the garage - not sure where that's going to fit, but I'll deal with that when the time comes...)

Jim
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Danhood View Post
                            I'm thinking about doing my workshop. How do you go about "Etching" the concrete for paint?
                            If you do the Rustoleum epoxy stuff that you can get at HD, they have an "etching kit" for prepping the cement floor. Like CLDS said, a definite must - and this stuff is quite great. Did it for my neighbour a while back, and I will soon be doing it for my own garage once I finish other projects.

Comment

Very well done, Tech. Kudos.

Comment

Working...
                              X