18V LiIon batteries dead after less than a year

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 18V LiIon batteries dead after less than a year

i used to do HVAC work so I gave my battery drill a good workout....I had a Makita 12V NiCad deal (about 12 years ago) with 5 batteries, which I would drain daily. After I quit that job, the drill did good for my automotive projects and everything else for another 5 years before the batteries quit. The price of batteries was nuts, so I bought a Harbor Freight 18V deal ($39) with 2 spare batteries (19 each) with lasted me until I dropped it off the ladder and broke it 2 years ago. I needed one quick so I went to HD and picked up the Ridgid 18V LiIon deal. I finished my drywall and use it on other little projects all the time...The batteries may have been charged 30 or 40 times each, and all of a sudden after about a year of owning it...They're both dead. I didn't know if the charger was junk or the batteries. HD didn't have any replacement batteries or chargers, so I bought another of the same drill kit so at least I had spares of everything (except the batteries) should I happen to break it. The old batteries won't accept a charge on the new charger either. Now, another year later after purchasing the new drill with 2 new batteries, they too have quit. I'm a little miffed.

both purchases have been made in the middle of projects, and in the rush to make up time for dropping what I'm doing to get a functional drill, I've lost the warranty stuff, so I'm screwed.

I will not be purchasing any other battery powered ridgid products again. Seems with this many battery failures....a factory rep would step into this post and maybe offer to help out.

My harbor freight drill had more power and better battery life than this POS ridgid...cost me $39, and the batteries are $19.99. I'm headed down there in the morning. If I'm stuck with Chinese tools, might as well pay the right price for 'em.
    Last edited by lbhsbz; 11-30-2009, 11:24 PM.

Comment

I too have the same problem. 1year and 2months and 1 battery is dead. I haven't used it in a couple months so it probably would have been exactly 1 year. They have been stored inside and I've charged them maybe 8times.

Are people taking the batteries back to HomeDepot or a service center? I cannot get the stupid "Compose New Message" feature on the registered item page to work as it returns an error:
      1 error prohibited this customer from being saved
      There were problems with the following fields:
      • Email has already been taken
      It doesn't sound like many people are having better luck with the replacement batteries though. *Argh*

Comment

I called up my local service center today and they said they see a lot of these batteries dying.

I gave them the serial number off my batteries and they are going to warranty them. They didn't ask for a receipt or anything. Give that a shot. As soon as I get some good batteries I'm gonna sell these things and go get a Makita.

Comment

i got my new 18v batteries today, only took a week.

so my question now is:

for LSA purposes, do i have to re-register the new serial number for these batteries, as they a different number than my old one?

Comment

Originally posted by brucered View Post

so my question now is:

for LSA purposes, do i have to re-register the new serial number for these batteries, as they a different number than my old one?
            We've never really got a definite word from Ridgid regarding this issue. ProBrand? Josh?

For what it's worth, when I need to get battery replacements, I think I'll be insisting on replacing the cells within, rather than a full swap out. I think it could just get into a nightmare issue with the battery serial number changes with a new label on a new battery.

Comment

Check out this thread: http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...263#post286263

Comment

Originally posted by brucered View Post

so my question now is:

yes, you have to call customer service and swap new serial numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by reConx View Post
                  That shows nothing - no definitive word from Ridgid on the proper route / proceedure / method. Calling customer service helps not one iota, IMO - it doesn't give me a definitive paper trail on this end, in case things are "lost" as they unfortunately are with CS.

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
                    That shows nothing - no definitive word from Ridgid on the proper route / proceedure / method. Calling customer service helps not one iota, IMO - it doesn't give me a definitive paper trail on this end, in case things are "lost" as they unfortunately are with CS.
                    Ridgid CS corrected all of my dashboard issues so maybe Probrand/Josh can post additional information to address our mutual concerns

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
                      an earlier thread had someone confirm that thats how customer service handled the issue

Comment

well, this is what i just did and it worked.

i sent in a question via my dashboard to the CSR and told them which batteries were turned in and the serial number of the new batteries and they updated the "my products" section.

all is good.

Comment

I've been trying to find out how to get one of my 18VLi batteries replaced. Can I just take it to Home Depot?

Comment

Nope. (Trying to be nice, and not say something rude. )

Please read the literature that came with your tools, regarding the process to follow. And/or, do a thread search, and you will find lots of discussion on the topic.

Comment

Brucered,

YES, you do have to register the new batteries. That is how Rigid got out of replacing my batteries. HD just gave me new batteries in place of my old ones. No paperwork and didn't mention I had to re-register them.
                              Last edited by Surfer44; 02-22-2013, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfer44 View Post
                                That is how Rigid got out of replacing my batteries. HD just gave me new batteries in place of my old ones. No paperwork and didn't mention I had to re-register them.
                                That's an issue with HD's mostly untrained associates, not with Ridgid.
                                BTW... You do realize you posted a reply to a long-dead and mostly forgotten thread, eh?
                                "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Working...
                                X