X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18V LiIon batteries dead after less than a year

i can charge them fully, leave them stored in my bag (inside the house) and come back 3days later and they are DEAD.

is this normal? i always store them charged, never drain them beyond dead and they are taken care of.

once charged, i can drill, drive etc, but today i put in a 3/4" spade bit and it stalled out when drilling.

i guess it's time to take advantage of the LSA again.

Re: 18V LiIon batteries dead after less than a year

you should buy a couple from canuksartech, his batteries work 5 years no problems.

On the serious note, if you use them daily, they are just worn out. Ridgid batteries are rated at approx 300-400 charge cycles.

Comment

Do you always have to buy a factory battery or are there comparable batteries available for less cost/similar performance from elsewhere?

For say: Dewalt, Milwaukee, Makita, Bosch etc.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by DRC-Wartex View Post
        you should buy a couple from canuksartech, his batteries work 5 years no problems.

On the serious note, if you use them daily, they are just worn out. Ridgid batteries are rated at approx 300-400 charge cycles.
        i would say i've charged them 30x max! obviously something went defective with the batteries, or the charger.

my 14.4v X2 nicads lasted 3y, then got replaced free with the LSA and are working strong and long.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
          Do you always have to buy a factory battery or are there comparable batteries available for less cost/similar performance from elsewhere?

Thanks.

J.C.
          i would think connections would be brand specific, and because they are covered under the LSA, i just walk in, they test them, and i'll probably get free ones. i'll have them test my charger too. last time my local repair shop was great, no problems, free batteries, can't complain.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

Thanks.

J.C.
            You can get them refurbished / rebuilt. There's many places around that will take your battery packs apart, and will rebuild them with brand new rechargable cells, usually with a lot better performance and quality than before. This is a very good option, when your battery(ies) warranty coverage is up.

Comment

Most people think batteries are generic and are all pretty much the same. BUT there is alot of difference in the quality, capacity, internal resistance, etc. I've had a Hitachi DV18DL drill/driver/hammerdrill with the 18V lithium ion packs for about 2.5 years now and use it often. I've charged the packs dozens of times now and they always have great voltage, power and shelf life. I can charge them right now, store them for 10-12 months and they will have at least 95% capacity and power afterward. You usually get what you pay for. Later!

Comment

Originally posted by shadow745 View Post
                Most people think batteries are generic and are all pretty much the same. BUT there is alot of difference in the quality, capacity, internal resistance, etc. I've had a Hitachi DV18DL drill/driver/hammerdrill with the 18V lithium ion packs for about 2.5 years now and use it often. I've charged the packs dozens of times now and they always have great voltage, power and shelf life. I can charge them right now, store them for 10-12 months and they will have at least 95% capacity and power afterward. You usually get what you pay for. Later!
                agreed, but when you buy RIDGID, you would expect them to last more than 1 year for limited use and more then 2 days standbye.

and yes, batteries can be rebuilt, but i have the LSA, so i'll be bringing them in i guess.

Comment

I am using about 12 Ridgid 18 volt lithium ion drills and impact drivers on our jobsites. The oldest is approx 5 months old. I currently have 7 batteries that no longer work. I have the lifetime warranty, but it seems that there are over 2,000 batteries on backorder with the supplier, so I can't get any replacements. I've been waiting over a month for my service center to get some in. I guess the lifetime warranty isn't worth too much if you can't get parts. I bought these at HD. It seems they would replace from their stock until more are available.

Comment

Originally posted by bishopbldr View Post
                    I am using about 12 Ridgid 18 volt lithium ion drills and impact drivers on our jobsites. The oldest is approx 5 months old. I currently have 7 batteries that no longer work. I have the lifetime warranty, but it seems that there are over 2,000 batteries on backorder with the supplier, so I can't get any replacements. I've been waiting over a month for my service center to get some in. I guess the lifetime warranty isn't worth too much if you can't get parts. I bought these at HD. It seems they would replace from their stock until more are available.
                    so it appears i'm not the only one with crappy 18v ridgid LiIon batteries. i'll have to get mine to my authorized reseller (no HD where i am) and see if they have any in stock, or get them to order them ASAP.

Comment

Originally posted by bishopbldr View Post
                      Interesting. We've all heard some varying stories about backorder issues and this and that pop up every now and again. I myself have had a backorder issue in the past, but it was more of a problem with a particular service center, rather than a parts issue.

This is the first time that I've heard this ballpark number/statement - "..there are over 2,000 batteries on backorder with the supplier..." I don't recollect seeing any other mention of this number on here with regards to the 18 volt lithium-ion batteries. I know there have been some issues about the ni-cads being backordered, and ProBrand has touched on that in another thread. But this is a fairly drastic number I would think, and it would be nice to see some further confirmation of this issue from other sources, as well as some word from Ridgid / TTI about this.

Comment

Ridgid 18V Li-ion drill with (2) batteries. Normal around the house use, not abused. My first batteries lasted a little over a year. They both died within a week of each other. Took about a month and a half to get new batteries under the LSA (was told they were on back-order). Had those batteries about a year, both of them died about the same time also. I have been without them for 3 weeks now with no ETA of when the new ones will be in.

I absolutely love the concept of the LSA and it is the reason I bought Ridgid over the competition. I really hate how slow they are in honoring their agreement and I am very hesitant to buy Ridgid again because of it.

I understand that they might of got slammed the first time with these apparently weak 18V batteries, but to still have the problem over a year latter? Seems pretty crappy to me.

Comment

It may not be HomeDepots fault, but they are in bed so to speak with Ridgid, so guilt through association.

An option that you have is to Read the Package on any new Ridgid power tool. They have a no question 30 day return policy on all their products. So that gives you a 30 day window to purchase, use, and then return. The returned package then gets sent back to Ridgid for them to deal with the loss.

If they are not going to live up to their own commitments, kick them back where it hurts.

Matt.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt in Oakville View Post
                            It may not be HomeDepots fault, but they are in bed so to speak with Ridgid, so guilt through association.

An option that you have is to Read the Package on any new Ridgid power tool. They have a no question 30 day return policy on all their products. So that gives you a 30 day window to purchase, use, and then return. The returned package then gets sent back to Ridgid for them to deal with the loss.

If they are not going to live up to their own commitments, kick them back where it hurts.

Matt.
                            I have no problem necessarily with what you said, Matt. I just have a correction to make: it's actually a 90-day satisfaction guaranteed return policy. So, you have an even larger window to be sure that you made the right decision when you bought.

Comment

I joined this forum to post a thread about my 18V LiIon batts; but since some others are not so happy, I'll join in on this one.
                              I got on the Ridgid wagon 5 years ago with a 3 piece nicad combo . Best cordless tools I ever owned, and told anyone interested so. Since then I added a few corded Ridgid tools and equipment too the club, with good results again.
                              I was reluctant to go with the new LiIon technology, until I picked up a little Bosch 10V angle drill w/LiIon batts. That thing is an energizer bunny, just keeps goin........
                              So when the nicads started dwindling, and the HD associate told me I could use all my tools with the Ridgid LiIons'18V, I opted for another combo set with a couple fresh LiIons and charger. I liked the power, and loved the LED feature, but noticed the LiIons did not last as long as the nicads did.
                              So here I am 6 mos. later, checking into getting more 18v batts, and finding out they are 100 bucks a pop, and out of stock at most HD's.
                              I sure hope it's cause they've improved their technology on these things, and their trying to get rid of the old stock?

Comment

Working...
                              X