Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help here to help me

everybody
    how should i to care about when i use the power tools in high position , cold and wet place?

Re: help here to help me

wecome ereryone

Comment

Cant quite figure out what you are wanting to know?? Welcome to the forum.

Comment

Did you know that you can't say eBay in pig latin?
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Welcome,

my guess is English is not his first language,

and my guess is how should tools be cared for at high altitude and in a wet (humid) and cold place,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qiqihar
          Qiqihar is one of the oldest cities in the northeast of China and was founded in 1691.
          It is about 146 m above sea level and the annual rainfall is 415 mm. Average temperature is 3.2°C (January –25.7°C, July 22.8°C).
          I would try to keep the tools in as dry of a location as possible, if there are cast iron tops or bases, I would spray or coat with a wax or some type of lubricant or preservative, that will keep the cast iron from rusting (some thing that either will not damage your projects or can be wiped off and cleaned off for use), I use a past floor wax, some people use spray on lubricants, that dry and do not stick to the wood or product being worked on,

I would keep all moving parts such as pivots points and threaded shafts lubricated, to keep from rusting, if smaller tools to keep in a water proof box with some thing to absorb the moisture out of the air desiccant if available, (do not know if there available in your area, but old military ammo boxes that are sealed work well for smaller tools),

(I am not the best to be answering your questions as I live in a desert type climate, and normally do not have much of an issue with moisture problems)

keep them dry and lubricated, so the parts do not rust or oxidize.

knowing a little more about the type of tools your wanting to protect may help as well.
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

ghostmanxx,

Welcome to the Ridgid forum.

I agree with BHD on his recommendations. I do live in a humid (lots of moisture in the air) environment, although not at the high altitude that you may live in. Here in New York State, the weather is usually humid during the summer months and my modest workshop is always a problem.

If you have a dehumidfier available, then that is a good thing to keep your work area as dry as possible. (I recognize that there is a language challenge here, so please feel free to ask for any interpretations that you may require.)

Of course "dessicant" is a much cheaper alternative, if you can find it. However, dessicant cannot just be left in your storage box, as it has it's limitations and will soon reach it's saturation point. Dessicant needs to be inspected often and then dried out on occasion, by placing it in the sun or even an oven (at a low temperature) in order to bake out any accumulated moisture.

I have a real problem with my chisels and especially with the motor housing on my Ridgid R2900 router. Even with a coating of wax, the latter seems to be extremely sensitive to corrosion. My chisels get coated with oil after each use and they have still spotted with light oxidation. It is frustrating!

With power tools, I just keep them wrapped in plastic bags to keep them as clean and corrosion resistant as possible.

I hope this helps and once again, welcome to the Ridgid forum,

CWS

Comment

I would say that "high position" might not be concerning his altitude - BHD's post stated that he's 146 meters above sea level, and that's not an overly high altitude.

Maybe on a ladder??

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                ghostmanxx,

If you have a dehumidfier available, then that is a good thing to keep your work area as dry as possible. (I recognize that there is a language challenge here, so please feel free to ask for any interpretations that you may require.)

Of course "dessicant" is a much cheaper alternative, if you can find it. However, dessicant cannot just be left in your storage box, as it has it's limitations and will soon reach it's saturation point. Dessicant needs to be inspected often and then dried out on occasion, by placing it in the sun or even an oven (at a low temperature) in order to bake out any accumulated moisture.
                Desiccant is pretty easy to find, most common is Silica Gel. This site has a wide variety:

http://www.silicagelpackets.com/

Comment

Bill,

Thanks for the info. The originator of this thread is located in NE China, so not sure what he may have for availability.

Thanks again,

CWS

Comment

Just caulk it.
                    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
                      Just caulk it.
                      ...and WITH the MaxSelect caulking gun (stoopid tool)!

Comment

Moo Goo Gai Pan!

J.C.

Comment

thanks international buddies
                          i get your suggestions it is useful
                          what i say "high positon"is like that you want to drill a hole in the ceiling
                          sorry for my poor english.

i want to make a design to resolve the the danger from the hand-held power tools . i need to write a paper about this problem.if you have some websites or material about this please connect with me my e-mail:lixuedonglll@163.com.

i am from china. welcome to china ! i can be your guide
                          Last edited by ghostmanxx; 11-07-2009, 08:22 AM.

Comment

I have been thinking about the last post, and I think if you read through the safety forum you may get some ideas,

the entire forum,
                            http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/for...=31&order=desc

some selected threads you may find of interest,

When drills attack
                            http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9918

Getting thrown/bashed by right angle drills.
                            http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27413

I do not know it it will help you in your search of trying to make things safer but may give you some ideas,
                            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                            attributed to Samuel Johnson
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

thanks BHD

you are a good man

Comment

Working...
                              X