Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18 volt lithium batteries on backorder!

I currently own 7 sets of Ridgid 18 volt lithium drill/ impact/ sawzall kits which were all purchased since may of this year. At this point, I now am up to 6 batteries that are no longer good. They were tested by our local service center but I was told they are out of stock due to back order. I wasn't sure if they were giving me a runaround so I called the direct Ridgid number. I was told there is around 2200 batteries on back order at this time. I am using these on a large project that is on a tight schedule, and the main reason I bought the Ridgid brand was because of the great warranty, but it does no good if they don't keep parts in stock. I took the first ones in almost 2 months ago. I am trying to see if a HD will come up with at least something as I hate to spend $100 per battery for new ones off the store shelf when mine are covered by warranty. I'm guessing there have been others with the same problem if there are that many on back order.
    It's too bad as I like the tools otherwise, but someone needs to step up to the plate on this one!

Re: 18 volt lithium batteries on backorder!

Originally posted by bishopbldr View Post
    I currently own 7 sets of Ridgid 18 volt lithium drill/ impact/ sawzall kits which were all purchased since may of this year. At this point, I now am up to 6 batteries that are no longer good. They were tested by our local service center but I was told they are out of stock due to back order. I wasn't sure if they were giving me a runaround so I called the direct Ridgid number. I was told there is around 2200 batteries on back order at this time. I am using these on a large project that is on a tight schedule, and the main reason I bought the Ridgid brand was because of the great warranty, but it does no good if they don't keep parts in stock. I took the first ones in almost 2 months ago. I am trying to see if a HD will come up with at least something as I hate to spend $100 per battery for new ones off the store shelf when mine are covered by warranty. I'm guessing there have been others with the same problem if there are that many on back order.
    It's too bad as I like the tools otherwise, but someone needs to step up to the plate on this one!
    Buy Dewalt/Makita. Seriously.

Comment

Buy Harbor Freight.......seriously.

Comment

I bought an 18v drill in May with the idea I wanted a quality drill. Had Craftsman for years but wanted to upgrade when I finally needed a new one. Was debating between a Milwaukee and the Ridgid. Well, After 5 months, one battery lasts 2-3 minutes and the other lasts 5 minutes max. Also, the chuck seems off-center now. I'm wishing I went with the Milwaukee!!! Anyone else having chuck problems?

Comment

I have a couple of NiCd batteries. No complaints. Nearly bought the Fuego saw, radio, drill and compact Li batteries earlier this year during the Ultimate Tool Event (would have been $150). Didn't need the tools. Glad I didn't if there are a lot of issues with the Li batteries.

It might be useful to some people of you included the S/N (date code) on the 'defective' batteries, and the size (full or compact) of the battery in the post. That way we can see if the problem is limited to a particular time, and readers can find out if their batteries were made at a similar time and whether they should be concerned about them. the date code is the 4 numbers at the end of the serial Number on the battery; example 0915 would be the 15th week of 2009 (or the week of 4/6/09).

Comment

Having the same issue, since June 2009. I received a cordless drill (R86006) with 2 18V Lithium batteries, a Rapid Max Charger for Christmas in 2007. This past June my battery packs went and after bringing them to the Service Centre in Edmonton, Alberta they sat for months. All they say is that they are on backorder. When I communicate with Ridgid, they say there are plenty of replacements...go figure. I also went with Ridgid because of there awesome warranty...but how awesome is it when you cannot get things repaired or replaced. Tried going back to the Home Depot and they took my name and number (I won't hold my breath). The last time I was at the Service Centre (about 2 weeks ago now) his floor was literally covered with these battery packs (easily in the hundreds). I did find out that Ridgid has issued a new part number for this battery, which is curious seeing as how they claim there was never an issue with the original part

Comment

Originally posted by Calder View Post
              It might be useful to some people of you included the S/N (date code) on the 'defective' batteries, and the size (full or compact) of the battery in the post. That way we can see if the problem is limited to a particular time, and readers can find out if their batteries were made at a similar time and whether they should be concerned about them. the date code is the 4 numbers at the end of the serial Number on the battery; example 0915 would be the 15th week of 2009 (or the week of 4/6/09).
              Good idea. I know that was very beneficial when a bunch of us did this similar idea when we were talking about the 24 volt XLi battery issues - it helped to see where it was in the different production runs that they were having issues. This could be beneficial with this 18 volt lithium battery issue also.

Comment

Originally posted by ex_sigs View Post
                Having the same issue, since June 2009. I received a cordless drill (R86006) with 2 18V Lithium batteries, a Rapid Max Charger for Christmas in 2007. This past June my battery packs went and after bringing them to the Service Centre in Edmonton, Alberta they sat for months. All they say is that they are on backorder. When I communicate with Ridgid, they say there are plenty of replacements...go figure. I also went with Ridgid because of there awesome warranty...but how awesome is it when you cannot get things repaired or replaced. Tried going back to the Home Depot and they took my name and number (I won't hold my breath). The last time I was at the Service Centre (about 2 weeks ago now) his floor was literally covered with these battery packs (easily in the hundreds). I did find out that Ridgid has issued a new part number for this battery, which is curious seeing as how they claim there was never an issue with the original part
                I was just reading this, and thinking about something.

A few days ago, I was reading through the warranty paperwork for the Ridgid pressure washers. Something caught my eye when I read the materials for the warranty for the Subaru engine itself. I noticed that Subaru put into the wording something to the effect of:

"...will fix or replace warranted item at authorized service center within a reasonable amount of time, not to exceed thirty (30) days..."

If ONLY this wording was also in the Ridgid LLSA paperwork. I have in fact seen this before in other warranty paperwork for various other products and manufacturers. But it would be a huge step in the right direction for this to be included in the LLSA wording (maybe a future inclusion, or is that dreaming??).

Like many others have said, the LLSA is not going to be worth much of TTI can't get it's arse in order (after how many YEARS with this product line???!!!) to be able to properly fulfill it's obligations under the agreement that they have put forth.

Comment

Working...
                X