X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new or re-con

my local h.d. has factory re-con jp0610 jointer for 269.00 and new for 399.00i am going to buy one or the other tomorrow,i need some expert advice .which one should i buy? thanks for any advice you guys can give drifter.

Re: new or re-con

If the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement means nothing to you than the recon jointer would be a good buy. Are you 100% sure it's a recon though? Sometimes the local HD's have been accused of calling things reconditioned when in fact they are not but are merely returns. There is a difference.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by drifter View Post
      my local h.d. has factory re-con jp0610 jointer for 269.00 and new for 399.00i am going to buy one or the other tomorrow,i need some expert advice .which one should i buy? thanks for any advice you guys can give drifter.

I would buy the new. I have never been comfortable purchasing something that someone else has returned because it did not work or work properly.

Red
      Red

Comment

I agree on buying the new jointer, as opposed to a labeled "reconditioned". Home Depot is notorious for sticking that label on used tools that never met a factory reconditioned spec. "Reconditioned" tools are usually tools that have been returned to the factory, carefully inspected, cleaned-up, refitted, or refurbished in a manner that meets specifications and then they are sold through legitimate retailers. In most all cases, they are reboxed and supplied with the necessary paperwork substantiating a warranty.

But at Home Depot (not the website) stores, it appears that the store manager has the power to take back a tool and place it on sale as a "reconditioned" item. I've seen so many so-called "reconditioned" power tools at my Corning area store that look like they were picked up from the local dump. They're missing parts, are often marred, and filthy... obviously just coming back from some dissatisfied contractor who never took proper care with them.

Two weeks ago, the store I was in (NOT in Binghamton area) had a "reconditioned" R4511 on the floor for less than $400. But it was a mess, the Herc-U-lift was screwed up, caster was missing, scratches in the table as well as a pretty good sized chip. Front rail was also marred. And that was just a quick inspection. No way in h311 was that ever "reconditioned".

So, go for the new jointer and register for the LLSA... you won't be sorry!

CWS

Comment

i've seen the same kind of incomplete junk labelled "reconditioned" at a few HDs in westchester and putnam counties in NY. HD seems particularly prone to this practice. but those reconditioned tools i've purhcased through online retailers like amazon have performed very well. amazon even agreed to take back for repair a bostich finish nailer because there was a damaged air port. they paid shipping both ways and that nailer has performed flawlessly for the past 4 years. so i guess the moral is "caveat emptor". there can be good values in properly handled reconditioned tools. just watch out for junk in reconditioned clothing.
          there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Buy new if you can find one and use the rebate. JP610, my older grey one had a motor bearing issue, got a free replacement. The best tool Ridgid woodworking ever designed. Now gone because it could not meet HD sales figures.

Comment

Andrew,

Not too long ago, Probrand looked into this issue (discontinued JP) and posted that it was NOT discontinued and should still be available at Home Depot.

I do understand that some stores may not stock them because they "didn't move", but they are still available. You'd probably have to talk to someone at the service desk or even the store manager.

CWS

Comment

I checked my store and tag is pulled, still have a picture board of it, discontinued. They do show up on craigs list. Glad I have a grey one.

Comment

Working...
                X