Router anyone?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router anyone?

w/ upcoming cabinetry project, a more reliable router is required...of course I'd prefer to purchase a ridgid(see "ridgid sucks" post), have searched the archives/online reviews but thought to pose the question anew: 2930(2) thoughts,comments,opinions?

Re: Router anyone?

The Ridgid seems like a good router, but it's a bit top heavy and is priced directly in the middle of some really stout competition from several other major brands...PC, Milwaukee (TTI's top line), Bosch, DeWalt, Freud, Triton, Makita, and even some of the Craftsman routers. Which to get should depend a great deal on your preferences and how you want to use it...a router for table use has different requirements than one primarily for hand use. Power, variable speed, and above table features are desirable for a table router. Good balance, light, and feeling "right" in your hands are more important for hand use. Ideally, you'll want both eventually.

How do you plan to use this router?

Comment

Originally posted by Bldr View Post
      w/ upcoming cabinetry project, a more reliable router is required...of course I'd prefer to purchase a ridgid(see "ridgid sucks" post), have searched the archives/online reviews but thought to pose the question anew: 2930(2) thoughts,comments,opinions?
      Festool, old Makita, Dewalt 621 or older Porter Cable. Triton, Milwaukee and new Makita are trash. Your best place to ask is www.canadianwoodworking.com/forum

You are asking in the wrong place.

Comment

hewood-ideally this router wouldn't leave the shop...mostly used in a table. It's difficult w/out the hands on, but ridgid tools have yet to disappoint, and I really like my laminate router-particularly the soft start. what I notice,though, is that the newest model is 2hp vs 2 1/4 and that makes me wonder.

Comment

For table use, the Triton and Freud FT1700 both have superior above table feautres. The FT1700 has an auto collet lock and a collet that protrudes through the table, allowing easy one handed above table bit changes. The Freud also has above table height adjustment and above table height lock. Other than the LSA, there's no advantage for the Ridgid in that application.

I doubt you'd notice any difference between 2 and 2-1/4hp, but I do wonder why the change...HP ratings in general are bogus...check the amp rating for a better indicator of power...weight is another less scientific indicator.

Comment

I have the Ridgid R2900 router and use it with my Rockler table. It works great, has plenty of power and it not as noisey as some of the routers that I've heard.

I particularly like the fact that it comes with a T-handle and therefore you can adjust the bit height from above the table.

I don't have a clue as to what the difference is between the original model and the alledged NEW model. (I did notice the new one, drops the HP by 1/4, but what are the other differences?... nothing on the web page gives me a clue and I'll probably never get to see one in my local HD.)

In any case, the Ridgid works fine in my router table. For in-hand use, the motor is a bit tall, but everything seems well balanced. I don't particularly care for the plunge base lock lever though, as it's a bit of a stretch to catch it with my thumb. If you've got large hands, that wouldn't be a problem though. Everything else is quite nice and the LED's in the motor do a great job of illuminating the cutting area.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
              I have the Ridgid R2900 router and use it with my Rockler table. It works great, has plenty of power and it not as noisey as some of the routers that I've heard.

I particularly like the fact that it comes with a T-handle and therefore you can adjust the bit height from above the table.

I don't have a clue as to what the difference is between the original model and the alledged NEW model. (I did notice the new one, drops the HP by 1/4, but what are the other differences?... nothing on the web page gives me a clue and I'll probably never get to see one in my local HD.)

In any case, the Ridgid works fine in my router table. For in-hand use, the motor is a bit tall, but everything seems well balanced. I don't particularly care for the plunge base lock lever though, as it's a bit of a stretch to catch it with my thumb. If you've got large hands, that wouldn't be a problem though. Everything else is quite nice and the LED's in the motor do a great job of illuminating the cutting area.

CWS
              hands-on experience, that's what I was after-thank you. doesn't seem this could be a poor tool choice, but still debating/mulling as the project start date is a bit of a moving target...really must confess that things "new and improved" generally find me running for the exit!

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post

CWS
                it has a thumb sized button for the spindle lock instead of the little erasure sized one.

Comment

I have many routers ,over 15,[hate changing settings and bits , best one for hand use DW621. Multi kit, Bosch or Dewalt, like the D base. PC quality is not what it used to be except the really large older model. For table the Freud 3.25hp is a good value. As said depends on what you are doing,Do not own Ridgid routers, great products and info here;

http://www.patwarner.com/

Comment

Originally posted by pesciwasp View Post
                    it has a thumb sized button for the spindle lock instead of the little erasure sized one.
                    Pesci,

I don't understand the comment. I was talking about the lever lock on the plunge base, not the spindle lock. When you plunge the motor down into the base to begin cutting, there's a thumb operated lever which is used to lock the router into that depth position. When you are finished with the run, you then release the the lock lever and the motor will rise, lifting the cutter from the work. With your right hand on the base handle, it's not an easy reach for my thumb to activate the plunge lock lever.

On my Ryobi 1802, it's a nice reach, but on the Ridgid R2900 plunge base I really have to stretch.

Perhaps you were just adding to the whole subject, but I don't think the Rigid spindle lock botton is any larger than on my other routers.

However, it should be added that Ridgid supplies two wrenches and there is a hex fitting on the motor shaft, so you can use a wrench to anchor the shaft and the second wrench to loosen the collet... or you can use just one wrench on the collet and use the spindle lock button to anchor the shaft. Nice to have the choice I think and you can therefore perform the function in whatever manner you are used to.

CWS
                    Last edited by CWSmith; 11-15-2009, 06:23 PM.

Comment

I think he was saying that the new one has a larger spindle lock button than the old one.

Comment

Working...
                      X