What Happened to 24V??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Happened to 24V??

I tried to buy a new 24V drill today and HD does not stock. I spoke with the Ridgid rep who was in the store and he said they were available on the website. I can't seem to find them. Does anyone know if Ridgid is continuing to support and sell the 24V hand tools?
    JC

Re: What Happened to 24V??

Yes, and no.

There still are some available at some hit-and-miss U.S. stores. And some from Ridgid themselves have come on here before, and I've been in discussion with others, and the 24 volt line-up is sitting on the fence right now (ie - no new slated products, no new shipments of current product lines in 24 volt, but also no formal line cancellation either). I and many others don't agree with this decision, but it is what it is, and things can still maybe change until it's all formalized up some day.

But, there's been word that they will continue to service and honour the LLSA and/or warranty on the 24 volt products (tools, batteries, etc.). They will still stock/manufacture replacement parts, and continue the support side of things. But new releases in this line are on hold.

Either way, Ridgid availability and selection at Canadian HD stores are lackluster at best. You're best to make a shopping trip to the 'States and take a browse, or hop on HD's U.S. webpage, and see what availability is in certain border-region stores.

So, if you can find some 24 volt stuff at a U.S. store, and get it LLSA registered, then you'd be all set. I got some a year or so back, and have been plenty happy - the 24 volts really add some pizzazz to the higher-current-draw tools.

Comment

I love the 24 volt line, to me there is no good reason to get rid of it! The power could have been upped and weight and bulk could have been reduced just as easily as the 18 volt line has. Another thing is the current generation of 18 volt tools could have and should have been interchangeable with the 24 volt batteries! Now my 24 volt batteries can only be used in a finite amount of tools!

Comment

Originally posted by pesciwasp View Post
        I love the 24 volt line, to me there is no good reason to get rid of it! The power could have been upped and weight and bulk could have been reduced just as easily as the 18 volt line has. Another thing is the current generation of 18 volt tools could have and should have been interchangeable with the 24 volt batteries! Now my 24 volt batteries can only be used in a finite amount of tools!

Exactly my thoughts. Milwaukee has their 18 and 28v line why not Ridgid? Like the charge indicator , extra power, especially on saws. I would like a miter saw to replace my Ryobi 18v.

Comment

It looks to me like most of the mfgrs have discontinued or limited distribution of their higher voltage tools. When was the last time you saw a 28V Milwaukee, 36V Dewalt, 36V Bosch, or any of the other high voltage stuff at HD, Lowe's or most local independents? I haven't seen any in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
            It looks to me like most of the mfgrs have discontinued or limited distribution of their higher voltage tools. When was the last time you saw a 28V Milwaukee, 36V Dewalt, 36V Bosch, or any of the other high voltage stuff at HD, Lowe's or most local independents? I haven't seen any in a while.

The home centers are by far only interested in DIY powertools, cutting the costs for most profit noy the best place to buy the best tools. Most DIY, users, just look at the initial cost. Look at the BF ad, the 3/8" drill combo, 18v Ryobi cheaply made tools on sale. That is their focus. The 28v Milwaukee line is very good. I have many older Milwaukee 18v , 14,4v,USA, German made tools and they are way better than my Ridgid made in China ones, and the free ,replacement under recall batteries are much better.

It is the Homecenter bean counters that kill the selection NOT the professional users. Also the way over priced the higher voltage 24v and specialty tools are not going to sell well. I go online for the most part. Ridgid unless on clearance or special is overpriced. The 24v tools were too expensive compared to the Milwaukee 28V.

I was really lucky to get the 24v Drill kit on cyber monday for $119 to add to the 24v tools I had and really like the planer , circ saw , jig saw I have. The Ridgid 18v NiCd impact driver is as good as anyone makes in a HvyDuty driver. Again , the 24V , except for the recip saw[Milwaukee is the way to go], and impact driver are very good tools that got little to no support at HD. What good is a max select line if you do not have the chg.batt kits available and charge $200 for them with 1 battery! I blame HD not Ridgid. for the failure.

For example,just bought a Hitachi gas 15ga nailer over the Ridgid 18v nailer ,$180 vs $330 w. tx. and I got 3 Li Batteries vs. only, and 1, are you kidding me , bad idea,[I have only regular 18v size, so buying an extra needed battery would not have LSA and cost $80 moreI have cordless drills galore already] ,and a bonus LiI screwdriver was included.
            Better made in Taiwan, almost 1/2 the weight at 4#'s, much better design, ergonomics and the gas power is more consistent. I wanted to buy the Rigdig nailer but is is simply not worth the extra cost and an all plastic magazine will lead to wear and jams, 1 battery, and limited power add up to another cost cutting design for HD to make a price point the they want. Bet you will not see that nailer in a year as HD constantly discontinues Ridgid items that do not make their target profit [ New Hitachi battery is only $26 BTW as it is only 3.6v ]

Ridgid is not the only one dealing with the cheap homecenter's objectives. Look at Porter Cable, especially their cordless junk at Lowe's. As bad or worse than BD firestorm, At least Ryobi for the most part makes a good value in the 1+ tools. I use them as loaners or backup.
            Last edited by Andrew M.; 11-15-2009, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the input. The comments about cost and weight, and how they affect purchases by DIY consumers (weekend wood warriors) at bigbox stores appears to ring true. I was lucky to have properly registered my 24V tools (and batteries) since I have already had one battery failure replacement under the program.

I would prefer not to have multiple voltages but that may become the new reality. I like to look of the Ridgid 18V 15 guage finish nailer (saves lugging the compressor around), so looks like I am stuck with having two sets of batteries and chargers. The least Ridgid could do is make the new 18V tools dual voltage (18/24V like the impact gun).

JC
              JC

Comment

Originally posted by Ski John View Post
                Thanks for the input. The comments about cost and weight, and how they affect purchases by DIY consumers (weekend wood warriors) at bigbox stores appears to ring true. I was lucky to have properly registered my 24V tools (and batteries) since I have already had one battery failure replacement under the program.

I would prefer not to have multiple voltages but that may become the new reality. I like to look of the Ridgid 18V 15 guage finish nailer (saves lugging the compressor around), so looks like I am stuck with having two sets of batteries and chargers. The least Ridgid could do is make the new 18V tools dual voltage (18/24V like the impact gun).

JC
                I would hold off a bit on the cordless 15 gauge finish nailer, unless you really need it right now - check out my review...

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28146

Regarding the multiple voltage issue, I agree wholeheartedly, as does many other on here. There have been a bunch of us who have said repeatedly that we would love to see Ridgid come out with a full multi-type charger - something that charges the new 12 volt lithium ions, the standard 9.6 volt to 18 volt batteries (yes, both ni-cad & lithium-ion ), and the 24 volt XLi too. Yes, this would have to be a separately retailed item probably, similar to the radio (ie - not in a kit). But if something like this came out, and in the neighbourhood of around $100, I have no doubts that it would sell promptly.

Yes, the different chargers and batteries are indeed a bit of a headache. But also, that`s the beauty of the MaxSelect line - with either a standard 18 volt battery, or with the amped up power of a bigger 24 volt battery, it`s the same tools. So, even though there`s a need for different batteries and different battery chargers, you save the immense space and cost of doubling up on tools.

Comment

I like Ridgid for many tools, but that nailer is heavy like the DW's , battery only nailers, and i have no other 18v compact batteries. Come on Ridgid 1 battery. My HD has not sold any so I am sure that will be discontinued over time.
                  The fuel cell is the best option for power to weight ratio. I choose the Hitachi Hitachi NT65GA 2-1/2" Gas Powered 15-Gauge Angled Finish Nailer : from reconditionsales.com [they are great people to buy from]for $180 on sale.
                  and it is fantastic, good fire rate, still amazes me for its weight how much power it has. so light, 4#'s, battery lasts for days . They include free screwdriver in the kit box,. OOS now but they might have it again . I have a review on amazon.
                  Last edited by Andrew M.; 11-18-2009, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Thanks Andrew - I will check out that fuel cell nailer.

Thanks Canuck - Hopefully Ridgid will take your advice (in the near future).

JC
                    JC

Comment

Originally posted by Ski John View Post
                      Thanks Andrew - I will check out that fuel cell nailer.

Thanks Canuck - Hopefully Ridgid will take your advice (in the near future).

JC
                      Noted. Thank you. I hope so earlier - I've actually had some ongoing communication with some TTI personel down in South Carolina, about this issue, and some other stuff. I've waited to post anything on this due to not really knowing what the status is, or where we are with it, and also keeping in mind what I should/shouldn't say. But, I'm hoping they're listening to the input also. Fingers crossed that one day they may wake up and realize that they really do have a good thing going here.

Comment

Working...
                      X