Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS 3660 Motor Bounces

Hello,

I am wondering if any of you have had this problem and how you may have corrected it.

I have the TS 3660 saw. I am having all kinds of trouble keeping the darn belt from slipping off the pulleys. I have spent all kinds of time adjusting the pulleys to get the co-planer. I have used the methods discussed in this formum for tensioning the belt as well. The belt I believe is at the correct tension. With the blade all the way up there is only about 1/4 "play" between the motor and motor mounting bracket.

I think the problem is that the motor has side to side "play" on it's mount. Not sure if it's supposed to be that way but it moves from side to side maybe 1/4 of an inch or so. I see no way to prevent that from the way it's actually designed. It seems like it's designed to move freely from side to side. I would think that would play all kinds of havoc in terms of keeping the pulleys in line? No? Could the spring on the back of the motor that keeps it tensioned maybe be the culprit?

Some times it starts up beautifully with absolutely no bounce. It's like a beautiful well oiled machine. Other times it really bounces hard on start up and like I said, the belt slips off the pulleys way too frequently.

Any ideas or advice?

Re: TS 3660 Motor Bounces

I've got a 3650 and assuming there's no differnce in the 2 model motors, just the leg design, there's no side to side play at my motor assembly anywhere. I did find that in the intitial setup instructions it's said to adjust the motor so that you can finger pinch together the belt at the middle. I tried that and I got the same belt falling off problem you are describing. I pretty much have that belt now much tighter than the instruction book indicated. I don't see any other way than to get it fairly tight so that the belt does not come loose. There is no side to side play. I would suggest check every screw at every connection point and see if something is not right. Also check the machine itself is level on the floor on it's 4 legs without the hurculift engaged. Ever since I tensioned the belt that way it has never slipped off since.
    Steve

Comment

Originally posted by pemdas89 View Post
      I've got a 3650 and assuming there's no differnce in the 2 model motors, just the leg design, there's no side to side play at my motor assembly anywhere. I did find that in the intitial setup instructions it's said to adjust the motor so that you can finger pinch together the belt at the middle. I tried that and I got the same belt falling off problem you are describing. I pretty much have that belt now much tighter than the instruction book indicated. I don't see any other way than to get it fairly tight so that the belt does not come loose. There is no side to side play. I would suggest check every screw at every connection point and see if something is not right. Also check the machine itself is level on the floor on it's 4 legs without the hurculift engaged. Ever since I tensioned the belt that way it has never slipped off since.
      Thank you so much for your response.

I am not really sure if the setup is the same for the 3650 and the 3660.

Yeah the side to side play has me a little stumped. There is what I will call a long "pivot pin" at the bottom of the motor mounting bracket that the motor can pivot up and down on as the blade is lowered or raised. The motor can actually slide side to side about 1/4 of an inch on that pivot pin. It kind of suprises me that that can happen because then no matter how perfectly you have the pulleys aligned, all it takes is one very slight movement of the motor to throw everything out of line.

I may have to call Ridgid to see if that is supposed to be like that

Comment

the only difference between the 3650 and the 3660 is the leg stand and the fact that the 3650 was packaged in 2 boxes and the 3660 was packaged in one box. the motor mounting for those two saws, and the preceeding 2412, 2424 and 3612, were all the same. there should be no side to side play between the motor (part no. 16 in the linked parts diagram)and the motor base (part no. 4 in the linked parts diagram).

http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/FD9D936...3650_402_r.pdf

HTH.
        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

There are 3 points that allow the motor to move where tension is provided by the spring and the weight of the motor itself. The pivot pin is held by 2 of those points and the 3rd above is where the 1/4 play is occuring, right Tom5151? Basically a right triangle. I included pictures where the pencil is pointing to the place where this movement can occur. Under its own weight and spring tension, my motor does not budge under considereable pressure of me trying to move it left to right. But when I lift the weight of the motor with one hand on the pivot pin I found that I can move it left to right to adjust the pulleys coplaner. What struck a chord with me on your intital description was also my first "problem" I encountered, the belt slipping off the pulleys. I fixed that by tightening the belt contrary to what the manual suggested. Does the belt slip happen under operation with the blade set at 90 to the table, or set for angled bevel cuts ? Maybe check to see if the pivot pin has excessive packaging grease that may cause the sliding you describe ? I have never had a problem with the pulleys out of coplaner alignment, and the belt tension as I described has worked flawlessly since.

Hope this helps, good luck!
          Attached Files
          Last edited by pemdas89; 11-13-2009, 08:01 AM.
          Steve

Comment

Originally posted by pemdas89 View Post
            There are 3 points that allow the motor to move where tension is provided by the spring and the weight of the motor itself. The pivot pin is held by 2 of those points and the 3rd above is where the 1/4 play is occuring, right Tom5151? Basically a right triangle. I included pictures where the pencil is pointing to the place where this movement can occur. Under its own weight and spring tension, my motor does not budge under considereable pressure of me trying to move it left to right. But when I lift the weight of the motor with one hand on the pivot pin I found that I can move it left to right to adjust the pulleys coplaner. What struck a chord with me on your intital description was also my first "problem" I encountered, the belt slipping off the pulleys. I fixed that by tightening the belt contrary to what the manual suggested. Does the belt slip happen under operation with the blade set at 90 to the table, or set for angled bevel cuts ? Maybe check to see if the pivot pin has excessive packaging grease that may cause the sliding you describe ? I have never had a problem with the pulleys out of coplaner alignment, and the belt tension as I described has worked flawlessly since.

Hope this helps, good luck!
            Thank you again,

Actually the "pin" or "rod" that my motor moves side to side on is at the very bottom of the triangle. If you look at your first picture and look down the assembly, there is a pin/rod that runs horizontally across the assembly. That is the rod or pin that my motor can move side to side on.

I called Ridgid yesterday and the rep on the phone was standing right next to a 3660 that they have set up there on site. She confirmed that even with proper tension, the motor is designed such that it can move side to side on this pin. She was pretty certain that I have a belt tension issue. They recommend a slightly different procedure for tensioning. They have evidently "learned" (contrary to what the manual says) that the best way to tension the belt is to raise the blade halfway and then basically pull the motor out/back as far as possible to get the belt as tight as possible and lock it down in this position. I was doing the same thing but with the blade raised all the way up. I am going to try their method this weekend to see if it makes a difference.

Comment

Makes perfect sense. That is the belt tension procedure that I eventually figured out. Good luck!
              Steve

Comment

Working...
              X