X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ion drill RIDGID 12 volt

Got a prob with this drill it wobbled right out of the box and it was hard to put screws into the jamb? I took it back and went through four more boxes and all of them wobbled?Home depo employee just laughed and said that's how they are? I find that hard to believe as they aren't cheap....please help me find out why and what to do about getting a nice one.. I did end up getting a Milwaukee 12 volt but dont really like it to much.

Re: Ion drill RIDGID 12 volt

Please pardon what may be received as a dumb question, but are you absolutely sure the chuck is wobbly and not just the outer sleeve?

I ask, only because my 12-Volt Li-Ion compact driver (R82007 - the first one introduced, not the current "drill" (though they look identical) was reported by several buyers as having a wobbly chuck; and, certainly mine appeared to be wobbly too. But, while I can't testify about the purchases of others, a check with a long rod proved that the chuck on my particular driver was straight as an arrow. The outer sleeve wobbled for sure, but with a 14-inch rod chucked into position, there was no discernable wobble out at the tip. On my unit, you could actually wobble the chuck sleeve when the motor was idle.

CWS

Comment

Yes it wobbled with a longer rod....My point too is that if this unit wobbles even if it isn't the center chuck, it still has enough rpm to make it really annoying in my opinion and for the price it should be a nice smooth operating unit, I have the older 14 volt dewalts and they still run nice and smooth after years of use.... I guess im too picky . kinda like a car with a great running wheel bearing but the tire is out of balance??? When I turned the drill on you could feel the out of balance in it, it really was noticeable. Another point is that the employee put the others back on the shelf.I also noticed all the boxes had been opened before me and there was around ten boxes of these little drills.
      Last edited by Hox; 11-13-2009, 11:00 AM. Reason: another reason

Comment

Hox,

I don't think you're being picky at all! On the contrary, having a properly centered chuck is absolutely essential, otherwise you've got a tool that is fairly worthless, IMHO.

My first "cordless" purchase was a combo that included the Ridgid 14.4 drill/driver. But I cursed that thing for some time as it's wobbly chuck would snap off small drill bits. About all it was good for was using larger bits where I basically just needed a "hole".

I finally took it in for service and it was fixed. Now I'm completely happy with the tool.

I guess that given your experience, you're probably going to have to look elsewhere. I really don't know what is going on with Ridgid/TTI as this chuck problem seems to be all too prevalent and it's appeared on a number of drill products including the 14.4, 18, and now the 12-volt drills. It does come and go, but apparently Quality Assurance isn't keeping its eye out for the problem.

I would guess that Home Depot has its limitations when it discovers such problems. Personally, I think that they should just pack them up and send them back for a fix, but I'm sure that would cause a lot of howling.

It's unfortunate,

CWS

Comment

Rgr....I guess ill just never buy the RIDGID tools anymore for fear they may all be worthless.

Comment

Hox,

About the only alternative would be to continue to search, and maybe they'll straighten themselves out and focus on fixing the problem. (In other words, don't give up on the brand for a reason that could rectify itself within reasonable time).

OR, look to see how close the nearest service center is for your area. I would hope that Boise might have one right there in town. In which case, buy the tool that you want and have the service center fix it for you. It would be pretty much like having the local car dealer do the fixes that it discovers when the vehicle is shipped from the factory with a few flaws. I know it's an extra step, but one which might well be worth the effort, given that you like the tool, except for this poorly fitted chuck.

As I previously stated, my 14.4 drill was spitefull, until my local service guy refitted the chuck... now I love the tool.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Working...
            X