Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need opinions on which ridgid tool kit to purchase

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need opinions on which ridgid tool kit to purchase

    First off, i already have a 14.4v ni-cad drill with the dual charger and 2 good batteries. It has lasted me almost 5 years, never had a problem. I've been working with a couple guys that have the newer smaller lithium ion drills equipped with l.e.d's to light up the work area and the impact drills, which are very nice for removing and tightening bolts. Looking for opinions on which 18v combo kit to purchase, and if there are any key advantages between the two. i am looking at purchasing either:
    Ridgid 4 piece lithium combo kit model # r968 ( comes with compact drill/driver, impact driver, one handed reciprocating saw, and light) or
    Ridgid 5 piece lithium combo kit model # r963 ( comes with hammer drill/driver, reciprocating saw w/ orbital action, impact driver, circular saw, and worklight)

    Price for me isn't a big concern, i know the pricier one comes with extended batteries, and the better sawzall. It would be convenient to have a cordless hammer drill sometimes, but not necessary. Other than that, is there anything i should be looking for, or may not be happy with? Does anyone personally have one of these kits and is satisfied or dissapointed with something? Any input is appreciated.

  • #2
    Re: Need opinions on which ridgid tool kit to purchase

    Originally posted by Raydaniel13 View Post
    First off, i already have a 14.4v ni-cad drill with the dual charger and 2 good batteries. It has lasted me almost 5 years, never had a problem. I've been working with a couple guys that have the newer smaller lithium ion drills equipped with l.e.d's to light up the work area and the impact drills, which are very nice for removing and tightening bolts. Looking for opinions on which 18v combo kit to purchase, and if there are any key advantages between the two. i am looking at purchasing either:
    Ridgid 4 piece lithium combo kit model # r968 ( comes with compact drill/driver, impact driver, one handed reciprocating saw, and light) or
    Ridgid 5 piece lithium combo kit model # r963 ( comes with hammer drill/driver, reciprocating saw w/ orbital action, impact driver, circular saw, and worklight)

    Price for me isn't a big concern, i know the pricier one comes with extended batteries, and the better sawzall. It would be convenient to have a cordless hammer drill sometimes, but not necessary. Other than that, is there anything i should be looking for, or may not be happy with? Does anyone personally have one of these kits and is satisfied or dissapointed with something? Any input is appreciated.
    If price is not an issue then get both! The 968 is on clearance for $199 (so $528 to start), you can get the 20% off from friends and family rebate which would bring you to $422 for both, and sell the compact drill, and impact on craigslist for $50 each, so $322 for both kits. (before tax of course)

    Both kits are good, the mini recip is awesome but each is not a substitute for the other, need both. Love both lights, and the x3 tools are great. You will have 4 bats as well, 2 of each.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Need opinions on which ridgid tool kit to purchase

      Originally posted by pesciwasp View Post
      If price is not an issue then get both! The 968 is on clearance for $199 (so $528 to start), you can get the 20% off from friends and family rebate which would bring you to $422 for both, and sell the compact drill, and impact on craigslist for $50 each, so $322 for both kits. (before tax of course)

      Both kits are good, the mini recip is awesome but each is not a substitute for the other, need both. Love both lights, and the x3 tools are great. You will have 4 bats as well, 2 of each.
      If you can get me one for this price, i would buy it. i have called everywhere near me and the compact 4 piece kits are all back up to $299. The 5 piece kit is still $499. From what i have read, it seems like that $199 price was 2 weeks ago..... I want to buy one or the other also. Thanks for your input!
      Last edited by Raydaniel13; 11-12-2009, 11:23 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Need opinions on which ridgid tool kit to purchase

        I agree with Pesci, if you can find the 968 for $199. If not and noting that you are an electrician I would suggest the 968 if you are only going to purchase one kit. I would think you would find the compact drill driver sweet for typical electrician work. It is very light, well balanced, has great trigger control and a very usable built in light. It also has surprising power and run time with the 1.5Ah batt. I have never used the one handed recip saw, however a quick review of some threads on this forum indicate it would be handy and useful for sparky work. We have a several of the hammer drills and I find them very cumbersome to use in most applications which quickly offsets their occasional hammer drill use. You would probably find the larger recip saw and circ saw useful, however they can be purchased seperately on eBay or you will probably be able to purchase that kit on sale during black friday, x-mas or the sales immediately after x-mas.
        Good luck....Ray
        Last edited by roadrashray; 11-13-2009, 05:38 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Need opinions on which ridgid tool kit to purchase

          thanks guys.... wish i would have been looking as hard as i am now when that 968 kit was on sale for $199.... hopefully one of the two will go on sale for black friday and i think that may be the one i lean toward.... does anyone think i would be dissapointed with the battery longevity of the 1.5 ah batteries rather than the extended ones (2.5 ah i think they are?)

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Need opinions on which ridgid tool kit to purchase

            Raydaniel.......For use with the tools that are incuded with the 968 kit I believe you would find the performance adaquate. We have been using the 1.5Ah batts for a couple of years with the compact drill, impact tool, and jig saw and have had good performance.
            The recip saw and circ saws that we have are MaxSelect (18/24 volt) and they only perform well using the 24V batts. We have had no experience with the X3 tools....Ray

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Need opinions on which ridgid tool kit to purchase

              Originally posted by Raydaniel13 View Post
              thanks guys.... wish i would have been looking as hard as i am now when that 968 kit was on sale for $199.... hopefully one of the two will go on sale for black friday and i think that may be the one i lean toward.... does anyone think i would be dissapointed with the battery longevity of the 1.5 ah batteries rather than the extended ones (2.5 ah i think they are?)
              they def dont last as long, depends on your work. If you do many hours of work with the tools then as ray said you can get some bigger bats for fairly cheap on ebay. But no warranty coverage. Get the big set, but wait till its on sale.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Need opinions on which ridgid tool kit to purchase

                Originally posted by Raydaniel13 View Post
                thanks guys.... wish i would have been looking as hard as i am now when that 968 kit was on sale for $199.... hopefully one of the two will go on sale for black friday and i think that may be the one i lean toward.... does anyone think i would be dissapointed with the battery longevity of the 1.5 ah batteries rather than the extended ones (2.5 ah i think they are?)

                Ray is correct on the maxselect. You need 24V's. I did not see that x3 kit in the ad. Read about the issues on the drill clutch in lo. in the posts. Here is the link to BF:

                http://www.2009blackfridayads.com/ho...-adscan-01.php

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Need opinions on which ridgid tool kit to purchase

                  Ray,

                  I have both of these kits. Each one serves its on purpose but the X3 kit is awesome. Every tool in that kit is great. The flourescent light is very handy. I even take it camping. The impact seems to be about the same as the others but the drill, circular saw and recip are great upgrades. The recip does chew up a battery though. The compact kit is good too. The small recip saw in that kit can get into spots that others can't and is fairly easy to handle.

                  The batteries are 3.0ah in the R963 and 1.5ah in the R968 I think.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Need opinions on which ridgid tool kit to purchase

                    I wouldn't purchase anything from Ridgid that is cordless. I have had nothing but problems. The best place to find out about tools are the Repair shops. They told me that they have a large repair back log for Ridgid cordlless tools.
                    Last edited by Mark from Texas; 12-22-2009, 03:15 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Need opinions on which ridgid tool kit to purchase

                      Originally posted by Mark from Texas View Post
                      I wouldn't purchase anything from Rigid that is cordless. I have had nothing but problems. The best place to find out about tools are the Repair shops. They told me that they have a large repair back log for Rigid cordlless tools.
                      Well Mark, you've made your Mark, however if you are going to come on a forum and immediately jump into a number threads trashing a product you might have more credibility if you spelled the name of the product correctly............Ray

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Need opinions on which ridgid tool kit to purchase

                        You know your right Ray, my sincere apologies. Ridgid. The other 6 Ridgid products I have are good, but they don’t have batteries running them.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X