X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought a 3300 Pressure Washer last night... Second Thoughts

I purchased one last night, but thinking about returning it and purchasing a Pressure Pro professional/commercial pressure washer for about a $100 more. It has a Honda GX 6.5 HP motor, and CAT pump with aluminum chassis. It is rated at 2700 PSI, 3.0 GPM vs the RIDGID 3300 PSI, 3.0 GPM. It will be for home use… boat, cars, dirtbike, garage, driveway, sidewalks, and 2 story stucco home with flat roof, so I need at least a 25’ to 30’ reach in water pressure. I know the Pressure Pro is probably better built, but has less pressure and slightly more expensive. Should I just stick with the 3300? My fear is the pumps built for RIDGID are not as good or of the same quality as their normal line of pumps. I usually buy entry level professional or prosumer tools because they last for years with out problems. My Stihl FS-80 Weed trimmer has been going strong for 12 + years and have never had an issue. This will be my first pressure washer, and I don’t want to buy another for at least 15 – 20 years, but I also have a budget. Any feedback would be appreciated.
    Last edited by RAR; 11-18-2009, 01:50 PM.

Re: Bought a 3300 Pressure Washer last night... Second Thoughts

If it has the CAT pump they will perform the same. The Subaru engine is about the same build as the Honda. If it has the axial cam then I would not want that model Ridgid PW. The CAT will outperform any axial cam in that class. AR ,general, triplex cam pumps are OK, but the CAT is generally considered the best. I have 2 PW's with CAT pumps, 4000psi and 3000psi[peak bench ratings]6.5 and 13 hp GX honda's. no issues over many years.

Comment

OK... I unboxed the pw and I noticed the spray tip bag had been torn open, so I immediately assumed it was returned. Everything looks new and it appears to be in brand new condition. However, when I removed the gas cap the I could immediately smell gasoline fumes. Is this normal? Are the engines run before the ship out? I don't want a refurbished unit being sold as new. I'm concerned...

Comment

Is the pump a CAT? It would be blue. Gas can be in the tank as the do run them but I doubt the factory left it with the EPA regs. I never had any gas powered new tool have gas in them.

Comment

Yes, it has the cat pump. I called up 4 Home Depot stores over the weekend to ask them if Ridgid tested the engines before they ship them, and each said no... There should be no smell of gas fumes in the tank. Each of them told me to return it and get a new one as someone had obviously used it and returned it. So I disassembled and boxed it back up, drove 30 miles to the Home Depot store only to have the manager tell me that was normal. He opened 3 new Ridgid pressure washers and each of the tanks smelled of gas fumes. DOH! So I brought it back home and reassembled it. It works really well but didn’t have enough pressure to clean the second story of my stucco home. I bought the extension wand too, and even with the zero degree it doesn’t come close to applying enough pressure at the distance I need. For everything else it had more than enough pressure and I was extra cautious. So, while I am impressed with the unit, it did does not have enough pressure to clean the second story of my house, so I’m unsure of what to do next. Anyone have any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by RAR View Post
            Yes, it has the cat pump. I called up 4 Home Depot stores over the weekend to ask them if Ridgid tested the engines before they ship them, and each said no... There should be no smell of gas fumes in the tank. Each of them told me to return it and get a new one as someone had obviously used it and returned it. So I disassembled and boxed it back up, drove 30 miles to the Home Depot store only to have the manager tell me that was normal. He opened 3 new Ridgid pressure washers and each of the tanks smelled of gas fumes. DOH! So I brought it back home and reassembled it. It works really well but didn’t have enough pressure to clean the second story of my stucco home. I bought the extension wand too, and even with the zero degree it doesn’t come close to applying enough pressure at the distance I need. For everything else it had more than enough pressure and I was extra cautious. So, while I am impressed with the unit, it did does not have enough pressure to clean the second story of my house, so I’m unsure of what to do next. Anyone have any suggestions?
            There arent too many washers on the market that have enough pressure to get PRESSURE up to the top of a second floor. I would recommend an scissor lift, a 8-10ft want extension (can work, but isnt fun) or a chemical that will do the job with little pressure. I have used bleach in the chemical injector several times on stucco and had great success with little pressure. I have also done two story buildings where I used a lift due to the amount of work that had to be done.

Comment

Originally posted by RAR View Post
              scaffold and a extension hose, you dont have to be all the way up there just a little higher right?

Comment

Northern tool has an extension. I have a 6 foot metal wand end that works , the adjustable ones are nice and have a belt support if you do not want to use a scaffold.

Comment

I bought an extension from northern tool, the 18ft one. Anything after 12ft gets tough to control, but it definitely helps to clean higher up. I ended getting out my a frame ladder and using the extension around 10ft or so. I bought the extension to avoid this, but it might work better for you. I recently bought an xjet. Its basically a nozzle that goes into the end of your wand with a hose attached to it so you can shoot chemcials containing bleach. The xjet comes with different nozzles to spray different amounts of solution. This way you don't destroy you pump, hose or wand. You should be able to clean the second story with light pressure if using the correct chemicals. I found this place from another website. The owner is very helpful and can even sell you cleaners to accomplish what your trying to do. Most pro's will tell you not to use lots of pressure, but use the right chemicals.

http://www.pressuretek.com/originalxjet.html

Comment

Great, thanks for all the info, everyone... I really appreciate it.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Comment

Working...
                    X