X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shelix for a TP1300?

Hi, guys, first post, hope this isn't a taboo subject.

Is there a Shelix head currently in production that will fit my TP1300? I know a Shelix head is made for the new Ridgid portable planer, as well as the DW 735 and the DW 734. I understand that the head for the DW735 will not fit the TP1300. I believe the heads on the TP3100 and the new Ridgid planer are not interchangeable, but I'd appreciate it if someone here could confirm that. How about the cutting heads of the DW734 and the TP3100?

The TP1300 has been a great machine for me, but I'm spoiled by the Shelix head in my jointer. I work mainly with highly figured woods, and there's zero tear-out with the Shelix. I can minimize tear out with the TP1300 by wetting the wood and taking light passes, but I'd spring for a Shelix head in a heartbeat.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Regards,

John

Re: Shelix for a TP1300?

From the looks of this list at the Holbren site, there isn't a head made to fit the TP1300. I'd give Holbren a call though to confirm that.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Even if they do make one why would you invest $900 in that old planer. If I needed a spiral planer I would sell the TP1300 and buy a Grizzly G0453Z for $1500. You should get around $200 for the TP1300 so your total investment would be $400 more but you would also have a machine that is far better and quieter then the TP1300.

Comment

I thought I read that the Steel City planer is the same design as the TP1300, and it offers a Shelix head. You might contact Steel City and see if it's available and if it'll fit (assuming they'll admit to the planers being the same design, and assuming I didn't just hallucinate the whole thing!)
        Last edited by hewood; 11-20-2009, 11:54 AM.

Comment

The pics of the steel city planer in the Tauton 09 tool review appears identical to the TP1300 so I second contacting SC and asking them their advice.

Comment

sorry wayne, but how does that math go? 200 from sale of tp1300 plus 400 more doesn't equal 1500. what am i missing?
            there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

I had a quick look at the Holbren site and they have heads for Delta 13" planers that cost $895 so I figured if he was willing to drop that much why not sell the Ridgid add $400 extra than he was will to drop on the new head and you get a real planer
              895 for helix head + 200 for sale + 400 extra $ = $1495 (cost of G0453Z)

Comment

Working...
              X