Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

3/8" corded right angle drills - recommendations?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3/8" corded right angle drills - recommendations?

My Milwaukee 0370-20 (3/8" corded right-angle drill, about $130 new these days) finally gave it up yesterday after years of faithful service. I'm wondering if anyone has a recommendation among the following:

- Another Milwaukee 0370-20
    - Bosch 1132VSR
    - Makita DA3010F

I'm an electrician, 100% of my work is residential remodels/additions; the bulk of my drilling is for 12 and 14-gauge wiring through single or sistered 2x4's. I'm happy with my cordless drill and my Ridgid 1/2", but the bulk of my work has been done with the Milwaukee.

I'm looking for the best replacement for it: lightweight, good for tight areas but strong & reliable enough for all-purpose use. I'd be happy with another Milwaukee, but is it worth an extra $75 to go with the Makita or Bosch? All opinions welcome.

Thanks!
    Last edited by kevinabb; 11-25-2009, 06:15 AM. Reason: typo

Re: 3/8" corded right angle drills - recommendations?

As a professional, the shop I work in has tried several different versions over the years. We have finally decided to stick with the Makita exclusively. The pro's are many, lots of power, quite compact and fairly lightweight. The only negative is the chuck key. Sometimes we have made the mistake of touching the paddle switch when trying to tighten the chuck. Once you get used to it, it's not much of a problem.

Comment

The Bosch 1132VSR is a tried and proven one and many people really like Makita. I have an old timer Makita that's no longer made but it has done lots of good work for me. With all that said you might want to take a look at the Hitachi D10YB while looking around.

If you want something handy and don't need to give it hard use all the time, the T handle by Sioux 8800ES http://www.makita.com/en-us/Modules/....aspx?ID=381is a nice 3/8" close quarters drill and feels great in my hand. I seriously doubt it can take the tuffer jobs that the Bosch 1132VSR or Makita DA3000R can. By the way while fancy, the Makita DA3010F is geared for higher speed and doesn't have the torque for larger size bits in hardwood that the Bosch, Hitachi or Makita DA3000R can supply.

If you are normally drilling 1/2 - 5/8 inch holes in studs and joists, then any of them should work OK as long as you don't force it to overwork.

Please note that at one time Sioux here in the USA made the Milwaukee Close Quarters drills under contract. Today TTI makes them over in China as I bet you already know.

http://www.hitachipowertools.ca/en/P...cat=18&pid=151

http://www.makita.com/en-us/Modules/...ls.aspx?ID=381

http://www.siouxtools.com/portfolio_..._zelectric.php

Comment

I plumb but use drills often. I like the looks of that Hitachi with the side handle.

I know they sometimes get yanked but I think with that one you could use it alot with long naileaters. Smaller than the big right angle but would still turn holes from an almost standing position with the handle.

Then you can also use it in the smaller areas. Just my thinking. Good luck.

J.C.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Very nice to get some feedback so quickly. I just returned from working underneath a house, needing to drill up through the subfloor. There was a flotilla of pipes about 8" below the subfloor, right where I needed to drill. I had to drill from below the pipes using an extended bit, which forced me to lie flat on the ground so wood shavings and cobwebs could fall in my eyes and up my nose.

I realized that I cannot live for long without a replacement right-angle drill! I'll be buying one this weekend, so the fast feedback is great.

>> Please note that at one time Sioux here in the USA made the Milwaukee Close Quarters drills under contract. <<

Thanks for that info, which I was not aware of. In fact the Sioux 8000ES looks identical to my deceased Milwaukee, right down to the odd little forward/reverse slide switch near the tail of the drill. The Milwaukee was probably just a re-badged OEM version.

>> The only negative is the chuck key. Sometimes we have made the mistake of touching the paddle switch when trying to tighten the chuck. <<

Yep, my Mimlwaukee had the same "feature". After a few wicked finger-burns I learned to pay close attention to that.

>> With all that said you might want to take a look at the Hitachi D10YB while looking around. <<

I really like the looks, specs and price of that drill. But I can't find one to try out, and the "slide switch" description leaves me confused as to how it actually works. If it a "slide-and-lock" switch like my (and most other) angle grinders have, I wouldn't be comfortable using it. I need a pressure-sensitive trigger to quickly and precisely control the drill's speed. As I'm sure you all know, drilling through semi-petrified 100-year-old framing members peppered with invisible nails requires a pretty quick control mechanism, to protect the drill bits as well as the user's bones!

Comment

Re: 3/8&quot; corded right angle drills - recommendations?

True, it is not a traditional switch or a quick way to reverse it at your fingertips.

http://www.hitachipowertools.ca/uplo...YB_OM_6951.pdf

Check Pages 11 & 12.

J.C.

Comment

Kevin, if you like the Milwaukee, and it worked for you so well in the past, then go for another of the same - it will feel like a tried-and-true, trusted old tool in your hands.

On the other hand, if you don't mind the additional investment, the Bosch is a very nice tool. I have used that one, and it really has power to spare, and works great for close quarters. Very heavy duty and resilient to any abuse/misuse, but obviously, there's the additional $90 or so to think about.

Comment

Sounds like you go where I go often.

Haven't even looked at prices but I would get this out of what I've seen.

http://www.makita.com/en-us/Modules/...ls.aspx?ID=452

Variable speed "normal" switch.
                Side handle. (Not in picture but in directions/parts breakdown.)
                LED light. You know.

J.C.

Comment

Thanks for all the recommendations. I know it's a relatively small purchase (compared to, say a HoleHawg or new Hilti) but man, this is my bread-and-butter tool. Tried to finish a quick job last night, and needed it again. Sounds like you know what I'm talking about, J.C.!

I've narrowed it down to the Makita or Bosch. J.C., you have me thinking strongly about the Makita. Best price I can find on a new Makita is $192.

There's an authorized Bosch dealer on ebay who sells the Bosch brand-new for $179,and also has factory refurbs, with full 1-year factory warranty & 30-day return priveleges, for $144 (if I wait out the auction) or $159 (Buy It Now).

Right now I'm leaning toward the refurb Bosch, with price being a motivator for sure. I used to work in a factory repair/service center, and we all knew that the refurbs were actually MORE reliable than the "brand new" products. New stuff was either burn-in tested on an automated rack, where it was just one of dozens or hundreds on the rack, or batch-tested, where only every 5th or 10th product or whatever was actually tested, as being represeantative of the entire batch.

Refurbs, OTOH, were each given personal attention by a well-trained human. They were tested upon return and judged to be either refurb-worthy, or organ donors, or total scrap. Since no company wants a reputation for selling recycled garbage, only those that could be made 100% good were refurbed. After repair/refurb they were ALL tested - no spotty batch testing. Anything that even hummed off-key was promptly tossed out.

So that's a long story, but maybe it'll help people who search on "refurbished" one day. I'll let you guys know what I finally buy, but it'll be bought by tomorrow!

Comment

If you like your 0370, have it repaired. If you take (or ship) it to a Milwaukee Factory Branch, the most you'll pay for repair is $50.00. More info on the Milwaukee Lightning Max Repair program can be found at:

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/PartsAn...MaxRepair.aspx
                    "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

I have the old Makita version - great drill but it's very limited in use because of the single speed and no reverse!

Comment

Originally posted by Newman View Post
                        I have the old Makita version - great drill but it's very limited in use because of the single speed and no reverse!
                        Newman, Is your's a model DA3000 like my old one? They are good drills but if it only had VSR it would be soooooo much better. Then maybe, just maybe because it doesn't have any fancy yaupo schight in it, that's why it just keeps on going and going and going and going.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                          Newman, Is your's a model DA3000 like my old one? They are good drills but if it only had VSR it would be soooooo much better. Then maybe, just maybe because it doesn't have any fancy yaupo schight in it, that's why it just keeps on going and going and going and going.
                          yes it's a da3000 - I've pushed it pretty hard a few times, but they are surprisingly though.

I like the new cordless Millwaukee 12VLiIon compact angle drills

Comment

Originally posted by Newman View Post
                            I like the new cordless Milwaukee 12V LiIon compact angle drills
                            You like a Milwaukee tool? Bosch is gonna ream your rear hard for that. You are Mr. Bosch if there is one and everyone that's a forum regular here knows it all too well. BAD DOG ... BAD DOG

Comment

Well NOW is a fine time to be praising Milwaukee ... I just arrived home with a new Makita 3010F. It cost $199. Could have had the Bosch for $179 or another Milwaukee for $129. The Makita has overall specs and some unique features that I think will make it worth the extra money. Plus it seemed to be pretty well-respected here on the board.

I also autopsied the old Milwaukee 0375. Always a bad sign when you open the case and see silver-tinted grease around the gears. It all looks good except the gear and pinion, and $26.50 gets me the total assembly from Milwaukee.

So thanks for all of your help. Tomorrow the Makita goes into service, and hopefully by next week the Milwaukee will be on backup duty.

Comment

Working...
                              X