Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thinking of giving up on cordless?

Originally posted by G3sprinklers View Post
    I can see why you need to be the village handyman since you can not read very well, I never said anything about a hole hawg. A whole hawg would be a hard thing to hold onto, get a catalog and and look at some tools.

I guess you had to buy the whole array of various brands of battery toys to play with, whats the matter none of them hold up for you. What you shelled out on all of that junk you could have bought a couple of good corded tools and been way ahead of the game money wise. I do not own any ridgid battery toys, only the dewalt 18 volt drill and saws all.

As far as the programming requiring more intellegence, well it is just a different field, and I do just a little more than "thread pipes", never was insulting your smarts (even the dumbest person knows something you don't). Come on out and trouble shoot a rate of rise deluge system with mercury checks for me real quick there smart guy, oh I forgot this was in a time before computers. Get over yourself.

I am very curious though about one thing, how do you use a thermal imager to find a leak?? I am so stupid I always just look for water on the floor.

JC....glad you liked that now get that furnace fixed it is going to get cold!!

G3
    Looks like I'm a gonna' build a fire.

J.C.

Comment

JUst to stay on topic here.................are you going to cut wood with your battery powered chainsaw, if not I sure do hope you have a cordless wood splitter (axe). Stay warm and snuggle up to the little lady tonight.

G3

Comment

You've got to stop!

J.C.

Comment

When a lawyer, politician, & contractor arrive at the gates of hell at the same time, who goes in first?

Who ever has the 36 volt saws all with extra batteries!! you know good an well that the extension cord would not reach that far!!

G3

Comment

I can see why you need to be the village handyman since you can not read very well, I never said anything about a hole hawg. A hole hawg would be a hard thing to hold onto, get a catalog and and look at some tools.

I guess you had to buy the whole array of various brands of battery toys to play with, whats the matter none of them hold up for you. What you shelled out on all of that junk you could have bought a couple of good corded tools and been way ahead of the game money wise. I do not own any ridgid battery toys, only the dewalt 18 volt drill and saws all.
            I have a full array because I use different tools for different applications, when I need a hammer I use a hammer, and you use your drills. I don't need to drag my 36v onto an extension ladder if I need to drill a 1/4" hole, I stick my 12v milwaukee in my pocket. I also paid less than half of retail price for all of my stuff.

As far as the programming requiring more intellegence, well it is just a different field, and I do just a little more than "thread pipes", never was insulting your smarts (even the dumbest person knows something you don't).
            You are comparing a blue collar with a white collar job. I learned drywall taping like a pro in 1.5 years working on and off, my boss who has been doing this for 35 years was impressed and wants me back. Programming is a magnitude harder than learning to install and service sprinkler systems, and requires far greater intelligence, memory and abstract thinking. I'm not saying all sprinkler contractors are less intelligent, I'm saying what you learn in a decade about your stuff is equivalent to 6 months of Computer Science courses at the university.

Come on out and trouble shoot a rate of rise deluge system with mercury checks for me real quick there smart guy, oh I forgot this was in a time before computers. Get over yourself.
            It comes down to high school physics. Any sprinkler system is basically a system of vessels which is bound by laws of gas and fluid dynamics. There is nothing special about it. Of course there are "extraordinary", rare occurrences of combination of factors that cause things to misbehave but with proper troubleshooting methodology you can narrow it down and correct it. Go troubleshoot intermittent data loss on 17 km fiber optic link.

I am very curious though about one thing, how do you use a thermal imager to find a leak?? I am so stupid I always just look for water on the floor.
            Thanks for snide tone but there goes:

If you have a dry system where compressor keeps going off every 20 minutes, there is no "water on the floor", you of all people should know that. You have air escaping somewhere in a huge condo building or a warehouse and you will NEVER find it. You can fill the system and wait for someone to call because water is dripping out of their light fixture or from under the baseboard. Or you can fill the pipes with warm/cold air and use IR to seek abnormal heat patterns in walls and in the attic. If the system is wet or filled, you can see leaks as water evaporation removes the heat, which shows up on the IR image as dark spots in the walls/ceilings. Also the point where air escapes will be cooler than the rest of the pipe because of gas expansion.

example:

And yes, cordless chainsaw exits, despite being a very special use and small. Those idiot engineers at Makita, eh?

Last edited by DRC-Wartex; 11-29-2009, 09:23 PM.

Comment

>>>Go troubleshoot intermittent data loss on 17 km fiber optic link. <<<

Nothing to it there are plenty of guys running around in trucks splicing fiber optics every day, and they did not have a college education, just some training and specialized tools to do the job. Nothing more than a bunch of little switches and impulse readers, nothing but high school electronics now days. There is a huge difference between a computer programmer and a cable splicer. I took a year of computer programing in college back in the mid '80s, just a set of rules that have to be strictly adhered to to make it work.

Trouble shooting is just a process of elimination. Fire sprinkler systems are so simple anyone can do it, all you need is a pipe wrench.

So what is the differnce between blue collar and white collar when it comes to spicing fiber optics and threading pipe?, both are done in the field and not in the office.

I am the owner of my company and run the office, simple hydraulic calculations are nothing but a little math, anybody can do it, if you know how. Takes a little more brain work than you think to really minimize your pipe sizes so you can beat out the next guy. But working for sombody else, you would not know about that. You say it takes me ten years to learn my trade and you only six months, just tells me there is not too much to learn on your part, or maybe I am just a real slow learner.

As far as a dry system compressor going off every 20 minutes, that would indicate a hole in the system, and yes you could have water in the floor, even if it was not tripped out. Good pic of the IR, but I think if you had that big of a leak in a sheet rock ceiling it would not be hard to spot the big wet spot. I dought very seriously that you could see a small pin hole leak of air in a ceiling above sheet rock and insulation.

I just love the use of all of the big words you are trying to impress everyone with, it really turns me on.

Oh yeah you should really be careful about sticking a battery toy in your pocket with a drill bit in it, could be painful.

I have a couple of cordless chainsaws also, made by stihl with a gas/oil power head on it.

Everything is easy if you know the answers.

G3

Comment

>>>Go troubleshoot intermittent data loss on 17 km fiber optic link. <<<

Nothing to it there are plenty of guys running around in trucks splicing fiber optics every day, and they did not have a college education, just some training and specialized tools to do the job. Nothing more than a bunch of little switches and impulse readers, nothing but high school electronics now days. There is a huge difference between a computer programmer and a cable splicer. I took a year of computer programing in college back in the mid '80s, just a set of rules that have to be strictly adhered to to make it work.
                This clearly indicates you don't know what you are talking about. Splicing fiber for one, requires a lot more skill and knowledge than running pipe. Second, you are confusing installers/splicers and linemen/IT. There are many layers in any communication link, from physical to packet switching to application level and problems can be on any of them. You can have a bad amp, signal attenuation, signal reflection, if you have a hybrid fiber-coax system - powerline noise in coax, packet loss due to congestion etc etc. Please don't compare those two. The problems with fiber itself can be discovered with time domain reflectomertry, which is an art form and requires a lot of training, and optical TDR tester cost $20-30k and other than huge telecoms no one has them, especially those $18/hr splicer guys.
                Splicers can only measure signal loss and basic parameters, they use Fluke DTX1800 testers with fiber adapters.

Trouble shooting is just a process of elimination. Fire sprinkler systems are so simple anyone can do it, all you need is a pipe wrench.

So what is the differnce between blue collar and white collar when it comes to spicing fiber optics and threading pipe?, both are done in the field and not in the office.
                Splicing fiber is a blue collar job. Telecom techs who *troubleshoot* fiber links charge $100/hr or more and it's a white collar job, and there is a lot more than simple elimination, there is so many points of failure you will be eliminating for weeks.

I am the owner of my company and run the office, simple hydraulic calculations are nothing but a little math, anybody can do it, if you know how. Takes a little more brain work than you think to really minimize your pipe sizes so you can beat out the next guy. But working for sombody else, you would not know about that. You say it takes me ten years to learn my trade and you only six months, just tells me there is not too much to learn on your part, or maybe I am just a real slow learner.
                Bla bla bla who cares, you big businessman. I work for myself when I do construction too.

As far as a dry system compressor going off every 20 minutes, that would indicate a hole in the system, and yes you could have water in the floor, even if it was not tripped out. Good pic of the IR, but I think if you had that big of a leak in a sheet rock ceiling it would not be hard to spot the big wet spot.
                Attics have a vapour barrier and double layer of drywall, water just pools and evaporates on it, pinhole leaks don't show for months.

I dought very seriously that you could see a small pin hole leak of air in a ceiling above sheet rock and insulation.
                Modern IR cams have 0.2 degree resolution. With proper configuration and skill, you can.

I just love the use of all of the big words you are trying to impress everyone with, it really turns me on.
                Do you prefer me to use 2-syllable words so your puny mind can comprehend them?

Oh yeah you should really be careful about sticking a battery toy in your pocket with a drill bit in it, could be painful.
                6 year old kids make better jokes. Grow up. There is a trigger lock.

I have a couple of cordless chainsaws also, made by stihl with a gas/oil power head on it.

Everything is easy if you know the answers.

G3
                After all this, the point still is, if you burned 2 drills, you don't know how to use them. And there is no way you can talk yourself out of it.
                Last edited by DRC-Wartex; 11-30-2009, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DRC-Wartex View Post
                  I learned drywall taping like a pro in 1.5 years working on and off, my boss who has been doing this for 35 years was impressed and wants me back.
                  Thought you were working for yourself, not YOUR BOSS, village handyman, who is unlicensed and unskilled. Who can't hang a piece of dry wall and then tape and mud it. Even a mexican can do that!!

I really am confused about you, are you a computer programer, drywaller, cable splicer, telecom tech. or tool rental guy?? As smart as you are I guess you do it all, and out of the trunk of your car. Sure is a big swing in pay for all of these jobs, why don't you just stay in the one that pays the best and not get your hands dirty.

You are right I don't know squat about fiber optics, just as you don't know squat about fire sprinklers (it was not in your list of jobs you do anyway). So when somthing messes up on the fiber how do you know what to fix if you do not start eliminating things that are not wrong, duh!

From the IR pic please explain what we are looking at, is the big blue spots on the bottom of the ceiling a standing puddle of water? If so yes it will leak onto the sheet rock below even if it does have a vapor barrier, I highly dought that the specs called for it to be water tight.

I just don't see how you get around with that head all swelled up like it is. You just need to grow up and get over yourself. A legend in your own mind, and still just a canuck after it is all said and done.

Yep I burned up two drills that is for sure, should have got the corded drill out to start with. The cordless will not hold up to what I have to do.

You sound like you are about 24 years old to me, gotten a few classes down at the jr college and worked a couple of summers hanging some drywall. Know it all and anybody that is in the trades is very much below you.

Like I said even the dumbest fella knows somethong you don't.

G3
                  Last edited by G3sprinklers; 12-01-2009, 12:08 AM.

Comment

Thought you were working for yourself, not YOUR BOSS, village handyman, who is unlicensed and unskilled. Who can't hang a piece of dry wall and then tape and mud it. Even a mexican can do that!!
                    Not everyone can do it right. Slapping mud on the wall and taping are two different things. And are Mexicans are less of a person, or are they automatically dumber? You are a freaking racist. And learn to read, I don;t work for him any more.

I really am confused about you, are you a computer programer, drywaller, cable splicer, telecom tech. or tool rental guy?? As smart as you are I guess you do it all, and out of the trunk of your car. Sure is a big swing in pay for all of these jobs, why don't you just stay in the one that pays the best and not get your hands dirty.
                    Because I get bored with 1 career. Whatever I like I do myself, whatever I semi-like I work for the man.

From the IR pic please explain what we are looking at, is the big blue spots on the bottom of the ceiling a standing puddle of water? If so yes it will leak onto the sheet rock below even if it does have a vapor barrier, I highly dought that the specs called for it to be water tight.
                    Properly done it will be near-watertight. The only spots that will leak are screw holes. Pour a glass of water in your attic and see how long it takes to show up - probably never, unless you drywalled and insulated yourself.

I just don't see how you get around with that head all swelled up like it is. You just need to grow up and get over yourself. A legend in your own mind, and still just a canuck after it is all said and done.
                    Hah, now you are throwing nationalist insults. I'm not Canadian by nationality, I just live here. I'm one of those immigrants that does your job much better and cheaper.

Yep I burned up two drills that is for sure, should have got the corded drill out to start with. The cordless will not hold up to what I have to do.
                    We get it, you are uber macho.

You sound like you are about 24 years old to me, gotten a few classes down at the jr college and worked a couple of summers hanging some drywall. Know it all and anybody that is in the trades is very much below you.

Like I said even the dumbest fella knows somethong you don't.

G3
                    3 years computer science in the university, 2 years college Database Admin, multiple training in electronics, 5 years in telecom industry, 3 years in electronic security, designed UAVs for military. I was doing renovations while going to college, that's how I learned taping drywall. I do manual labour and have respect for all the trades out there, esp electricians.

You sound like a bitter, asinine old loser that runs his own obscure company and can't get off his own high-horse. I'm sure you know something I don't.

Comment

Ok.. this thread is a bit off track. Sorry guys.. this one is closed.

"Cant we all just get along"
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X