Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Is the RIDGID 5pc 18V Lithium Combo Kit any good?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is the RIDGID 5pc 18V Lithium Combo Kit any good?

Originally posted by DBlanton View Post
    Man i am total Rigid on cordless tools. I bought a set 5 years ago and used them everyday. Batteries finnally quit holding charge after 2 years of constant use. Not bad in my book. Now heres what really sold me. I loaned my sawsall to my younger brother after he got done with it i asked a few days later he told me he didn't know where it went. I wasn't to happy about it but none the less. 2 years later said younger brother had to move and when cleaning up the yard and junk we found my damn sawsall it was totally caked with dirt in the motor vents i thought man this thing isn't going to work at all but decided what the hey so i went and got a good battery and cleaned dirt out of vents pulled trigger and the damn thing worked i was amazed. After holding the trigger for about 3o seconds to 1 minute to blow all the dirt out of the motor i tossed it back in the truck and still using it to this day. 7+ years old and still going. I can't complain one bit.
    Dblanton,

Ok, thanks for the good report...that is amazing that the sawsall still worked well after all the sitting around and mud!

Soar
    Don't squabble with the chickens
    Instead, soar
    with the eagles

Comment

Originally posted by lbhsbz View Post
      In most ways that a battery can suck.

1: The compact batteries do not have sufficient capacity to run even the drill, resulting in very low power
      2: I've had 4 batteries fail in less than 2 years. I've been waiting for a few weeks now for my new batteries to arrive under "warranty" at the service center.

Maybe Ridgid missed the boat on Li-Ion technology....Since I actually use my tools, I had no choice but to buy another drill (Makita this time), since even replacement batteries for the ridgid setup seem to be unavailable even if I were to pay for them. If I ever see my new batteries, I'm putting them up for sale.
      lbhsbz, thanks for the clarity and being specific. I really wanted to purchase this unit but the more I read the more reluctant to purchase the kit.

Have a great day!

Soar
      Instead, soar
      with the eagles

Comment

Originally posted by DBlanton View Post
        Man i am total Rigid on cordless tools. I bought a set 5 years ago and used them everyday. Batteries finnally quit holding charge after 2 years of constant use. Not bad in my book. Now heres what really sold me. I loaned my sawsall to my younger brother after he got done with it i asked a few days later he told me he didn't know where it went. I wasn't to happy about it but none the less. 2 years later said younger brother had to move and when cleaning up the yard and junk we found my damn sawsall it was totally caked with dirt in the motor vents i thought man this thing isn't going to work at all but decided what the hey so i went and got a good battery and cleaned dirt out of vents pulled trigger and the damn thing worked i was amazed. After holding the trigger for about 3o seconds to 1 minute to blow all the dirt out of the motor i tossed it back in the truck and still using it to this day. 7+ years old and still going. I can't complain one bit.
        It appears as if you got good use out of those batteries!

Did they also have enough capacity as well?

Soar
        Instead, soar
        with the eagles

Comment

Originally posted by lbhsbz View Post
          The batteries suck.
          They are terrible. I have two dead one’s right now and can’t get Ridgid to replace them.
          Last edited by Mark from Texas; 12-22-2009, 03:16 AM.

Comment

there is more to this story than your telling

what is the date code?

batteries are too old, out of warranty and not registered for the lsa

2003-2004 and no paper work

take them to a service center, Calling ridgid on the phone wont get them replaced

Comment

Purchased the 18v set in May of 08. Sent paper work in. No record at Ridgid. Nearest service center over 100 miles.
              Last edited by Mark from Texas; 12-22-2009, 03:16 AM.

Comment

call the service center, ship them the tool with batteries, they will test them, then ship new ones back to you, ridgid will pay the shipping back to you

you dont need your lsa number, they are less than 3 years old so they will be replaced under the standard warranty

follow up with ridgid about your lsa registration, make sure your paper work, upc and receipt were filled out and sent in, hope you kept copies

Comment

The batteries strated going out about 4 months ago. Purchased May of 08. Started this process around Sept. Shipped them to the service center and they wanted the lsa #. Contacted rigid about lsa#, Ridgid has no record of registration and they have yet to call me back. No I didn't make copies of the 7 separate power tools that I purchased and sent registration off on. When I tried to register the tools all I got was voice mail. Like I said I'm still waiting on rigid to call me back. Did I mention I left two voice mails and several emails. I gathered all info to give to them. The service center returned my tool and did not fix anything. When I spoke with them before they shipped it back, I told them I was waiting on RIDGID. You are correct the numbers on the tools do reflect the manufacture date. Why wouldn't the service center just replace the batteries instead of just sending them back without notifying me? Now if I want to send them off again it's going to cost another shipping charge. Yes, I am Ticked off!! I tried to be an honest consumer. Rigid doesn't want to be Honest. It's a crying shame when I had another cordless that lasted for about 8 years and this Ridgid didn't last just over a year. Their batteries are JUNK. Look now I am just ranting.
                  Last edited by Mark from Texas; 12-22-2009, 03:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LockSmithSavant View Post
                    I own the the fuego impact drill/driver set,the 5 piece set and Also the jig.
                    The drill that came with kit will sometimes not power up when i pull the trigger. I release and pull again and it fires up immediately . All of these drills and Impacts throw alot of sparks from the motor and i find that disturbing.
                    the 1amp batteries that i got with the fuego kit seem to last forever but i am not convinced the batteries that came with the x3 run very much longer. After using these tools on the daily basis for the past few months i can honestly say that the rigid cordless line up is mediocre at best. I cannot escape this horrible feeling that my batteries are going to fail or that the brushes in all the motors are failing at an accelerated rate. I go to war with these tools everyday on very high end installs in the NYC metro and the tools i brandish are noticed by all. Should this 1k$ i invested in the rigid cordless line up go south i will probably not come back to them in the future.
                    THE reason it isn't powering up is your batteries are bad. I was told this by a warranty guy that replaced my batteries - the drill works perfect now.

Comment

Working...
                    X