Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Is the RIDGID 5pc 18V Lithium Combo Kit any good? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is the RIDGID 5pc 18V Lithium Combo Kit any good?

    Hi all!

    I am interested in Ridgid's new RIDGID 5pc 18V Lithium Combo Kit. Can anyone tell me much about it such as performance, weight, battery life, etc.?

    I have owned the Dewalt FatBoy Combo kit now for over 10 years and it has served me well [only had to replace the batteries one time]. I used the Dewalt drill motor at times for 8 hours a day for weeks at a time and it is still going strong! I plan on giving it away to some friends overseas.

    Now I am interested in Ridgid's new RIDGID 5pc 18V Lithium Combo Kit. Can anyone tell me much about it? I read about 8 reviews and it all seemed good. Especially the life time warranty. I did notice some people noted some issues with the batteries and obtaining new batteries under the warranty.

    I purchased the Ridgid Pressure washer [ I think it is the 3300 PSI version] a while back and even though many people criticized it as not very good, I found it to be far superior than every pressure washer I have owned [Dewalt, Karcher, etc.] over the years.

    Can someone here who owns or has owned a RIDGID 5pc 18V Lithium Combo Kit give me an honest evaluation or recommendation on this item please? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks much,

    Soar
    Don't squabble with the chickens
    Instead, soar
    with the eagles

  • #2
    Re: Is the RIDGID 5pc 18V Lithium Combo Kit any good?

    http://dewaltownersgroup.com/index.php/topic,23.0.html

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Is the RIDGID 5pc 18V Lithium Combo Kit any good?

      The batteries suck.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Is the RIDGID 5pc 18V Lithium Combo Kit any good?

        I love this kit.

        I switched from DeWalt after the impaxt driver, hammer drill AND batteries in my brand new 6 pc kit went south after only 4 months! I had been loyal far too long... about 11 years. No biggie, I was just a sheep in the DeWalt herd anyway. Only bought into it because of their reputation. The tools did not help me do anything faster or better.

        So anyway, I got this kit on advice from a jobsite super who said that the Ridgid tools performed best per folks on a multi-million dollar project. As you can imagine, there were many tool brands on this project. The guys using Ridgid kept having people ask them to use their tools to get the job done. That alone was what I needed to hear.

        I needed a kit that would make money fo me, not make me look "cool". When all is said and done... the Ridgid tools are way cooler in the looks department, but that is not to be a consideration for buying tools.

        So I have had this kit (recently bought the R968 Compact kit too) for about 6 months now.

        Batteries are work horses. Never a problem and they are used and charged and used and charged constantly. They are used heavily cutting, drilling, hammering... and the batteries always come back in the game like Mean Joe Green after a breather.

        If you want to get the job done and not be concerned about the color of your tools or being in the "me too" club, then try this kit.

        If you want performance, if you want quality... you want this kit.

        In regard to the lifetime warranty... some have said that it is a headache since you are without tools for awhile... give me a break. Who has just one drill or recip saw in their arsenal? No one that is a serious working man. So if you have trouble, like all brands do on occasion, at least you get free repair, free parts, free batteries... it even covers normal wear and tear!

        But I have not had to deal with that since my Ridgid tools have met every challenge without a single sign of trouble.

        Did I mention that I love this kit?
        Last edited by ExDeWaltUser; 12-02-2009, 01:37 PM. Reason: wordiness

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Is the RIDGID 5pc 18V Lithium Combo Kit any good?

          I also have this kit. I bought it in May and I haven't had any problems with it either. (I also have the R968) The batteries last fine for me with the drill, impact, light and circular saw. The recip chews through it pretty fast when it is heavily used. I use this kit daily and have yet to be disappointed.

          Just a little info...

          One of the posters in this thread is an abnormally large Dewalt fan and seldom if ever has anything good to say about Ridgid. I don't like to call names but you can research the posts and figure it out. Take all of the opinions on this site in and process that yourself and make your own decisions from that.

          Hope this helps.

          Kevin

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Is the RIDGID 5pc 18V Lithium Combo Kit any good?

            Originally posted by lbhsbz View Post
            The batteries suck.
            Can you please be a little more specific? In exactly what ways do the batteries suck?

            Soar
            Don't squabble with the chickens
            Instead, soar
            with the eagles

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Is the RIDGID 5pc 18V Lithium Combo Kit any good?

              Originally posted by ExDeWaltUser View Post
              I love this kit.

              I switched from DeWalt after the impaxt driver, hammer drill AND batteries in my brand new 6 pc kit went south after only 4 months! I had been loyal far too long... about 11 years. No biggie, I was just a sheep in the DeWalt herd anyway. Only bought into it because of their reputation. The tools did not help me do anything faster or better.

              So anyway, I got this kit on advice from a jobsite super who said that the Ridgid tools performed best per folks on a multi-million dollar project. As you can imagine, there were many tool brands on this project. The guys using Ridgid kept having people ask them to use their tools to get the job done. That alone was what I needed to hear.

              I needed a kit that would make money fo me, not make me look "cool". When all is said and done... the Ridgid tools are way cooler in the looks department, but that is not to be a consideration for buying tools.

              So I have had this kit (recently bought the R968 Compact kit too) for about 6 months now.

              Batteries are work horses. Never a problem and they are used and charged and used and charged constantly. They are used heavily cutting, drilling, hammering... and the batteries always come back in the game like Mean Joe Green after a breather.

              If you want to get the job done and not be concerned about the color of your tools or being in the "me too" club, then try this kit.

              If you want performance, if you want quality... you want this kit.

              In regard to the lifetime warranty... some have said that it is a headache since you are without tools for awhile... give me a break. Who has just one drill or recip saw in their arsenal? No one that is a serious working man. So if you have trouble, like all brands do on occasion, at least you get free repair, free parts, free batteries... it even covers normal wear and tear!

              But I have not had to deal with that since my Ridgid tools have met every challenge without a single sign of trouble.

              Did I mention that I love this kit?
              Ex Dewalt User,

              Thanks for your indepth post. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and ideas with me!

              Soar
              Don't squabble with the chickens
              Instead, soar
              with the eagles

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Is the RIDGID 5pc 18V Lithium Combo Kit any good?

                Originally posted by Kev Dog View Post
                I also have this kit. I bought it in May and I haven't had any problems with it either. (I also have the R968) The batteries last fine for me with the drill, impact, light and circular saw. The recip chews through it pretty fast when it is heavily used. I use this kit daily and have yet to be disappointed.

                Just a little info...

                One of the posters in this thread is an abnormally large Dewalt fan and seldom if ever has anything good to say about Ridgid. I don't like to call names but you can research the posts and figure it out. Take all of the opinions on this site in and process that yourself and make your own decisions from that.

                Hope this helps.

                Kevin
                Kevin,

                Your post certainly does help me and I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and feelings with me.

                Thanks also for the heads up in regards to the Dewalt Fan! Hehehehe!

                Soar
                Don't squabble with the chickens
                Instead, soar
                with the eagles

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Is the RIDGID 5pc 18V Lithium Combo Kit any good?

                  I own the the fuego impact drill/driver set,the 5 piece set and Also the jig.
                  The drill that came with kit will sometimes not power up when i pull the trigger. I release and pull again and it fires up immediately . All of these drills and Impacts throw alot of sparks from the motor and i find that disturbing.
                  the 1amp batteries that i got with the fuego kit seem to last forever but i am not convinced the batteries that came with the x3 run very much longer. After using these tools on the daily basis for the past few months i can honestly say that the rigid cordless line up is mediocre at best. I cannot escape this horrible feeling that my batteries are going to fail or that the brushes in all the motors are failing at an accelerated rate. I go to war with these tools everyday on very high end installs in the NYC metro and the tools i brandish are noticed by all. Should this 1k$ i invested in the rigid cordless line up go south i will probably not come back to them in the future.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Is the RIDGID 5pc 18V Lithium Combo Kit any good?

                    inm higly considering returning my 5 peace fuego plus an addiotional drill and a 18/24 "max" circular saw.... i bought them 60 days ago, the batteries are terrible, the "max" saw doest work well on the 18 v battery. Love the drills and driver... the recip saw, is ok...not thrilled, kinda weak.... but the batteries are enought to make me return it and get a dewalt.

                    im gonna give it a few more chances to see if these issues iron themselfs out

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Is the RIDGID 5pc 18V Lithium Combo Kit any good?

                      Originally posted by big.guy24 View Post
                      inm higly considering returning my 5 peace fuego plus an addiotional drill and a 18/24 "max" circular saw.... i bought them 60 days ago, the batteries are terrible, the "max" saw doest work well on the 18 v battery. Love the drills and driver... the recip saw, is ok...not thrilled, kinda weak.... but the batteries are enought to make me return it and get a dewalt.

                      im gonna give it a few more chances to see if these issues iron themselfs out
                      You're within the Home Depot 90 day return policy, so take it back, get a refund, and move one.

                      I could see posting about this if it was past the return period, but it isn't.
                      I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Is the RIDGID 5pc 18V Lithium Combo Kit any good?

                        I must have jinxed myself because today a battery pack from the fuego kit would not charge. The charger just kept blinking red. all three kits go back to HD tonight

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Is the RIDGID 5pc 18V Lithium Combo Kit any good?

                          Man i am total Rigid on cordless tools. I bought a set 5 years ago and used them everyday. Batteries finnally quit holding charge after 2 years of constant use. Not bad in my book. Now heres what really sold me. I loaned my sawsall to my younger brother after he got done with it i asked a few days later he told me he didn't know where it went. I wasn't to happy about it but none the less. 2 years later said younger brother had to move and when cleaning up the yard and junk we found my damn sawsall it was totally caked with dirt in the motor vents i thought man this thing isn't going to work at all but decided what the hey so i went and got a good battery and cleaned dirt out of vents pulled trigger and the damn thing worked i was amazed. After holding the trigger for about 3o seconds to 1 minute to blow all the dirt out of the motor i tossed it back in the truck and still using it to this day. 7+ years old and still going. I can't complain one bit.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Is the RIDGID 5pc 18V Lithium Combo Kit any good?

                            Originally posted by tinmack View Post
                            You're within the Home Depot 90 day return policy, so take it back, get a refund, and move one.

                            I could see posting about this if it was past the return period, but it isn't.

                            because i truely liked their drills better , and even the circular saw was more accurate. I wasnt impressed with dewalt, we burned alot of there batteries up in iraq, of course it was 135 degrees outside, we abused them and used them daily.

                            I just loved my older ridge so much , i would like to keep the kit, but it sounds like others are having these problems

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Is the RIDGID 5pc 18V Lithium Combo Kit any good?

                              Originally posted by soarwitheagles View Post
                              Can you please be a little more specific? In exactly what ways do the batteries suck?

                              Soar

                              In most ways that a battery can suck.

                              1: The compact batteries do not have sufficient capacity to run even the drill, resulting in very low power
                              2: I've had 4 batteries fail in less than 2 years. I've been waiting for a few weeks now for my new batteries to arrive under "warranty" at the service center.


                              Maybe Ridgid missed the boat on Li-Ion technology....Since I actually use my tools, I had no choice but to buy another drill (Makita this time), since even replacement batteries for the ridgid setup seem to be unavailable even if I were to pay for them. If I ever see my new batteries, I'm putting them up for sale.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X