Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ridgid cordless drill battery information?

How was anyones positive experiance exchanging a battery that is under the lifetime warranty ?

Just bought a R 82008 Drill and simply love it. I am simply just curious to find out peoples warranty experiances ?

Thank you for your time in advance.

Konrad
    Last edited by Konrad; 12-02-2009, 03:04 AM.

Re: ridgid cordless drill battery information?

Since no one really replied to this thread as much as I hoped for. I went and talked to the people in my city that repair RIDGID tools. ( Service Centre for HD )

Lets just say the person said that there is no problems whatsoever with replacing battery's or parts failing.

Ridgid stands by their warranty and simply fixes your stuff. Sometimes it can take longer because the to be replaced Item is not in stock. Ither way you do have to leave your entire Kit which means drill, charger, and both batteries no matter what the problem is. With that being said I can see how some people that use their stuff every day would get upset.. Not me.

Also there is a deposit fee that you do have to pay before the tool gets any kind of lifetime warranty repair done. You do get your money back but that is their company policy.... period. Most of the repairs do not usually take longer than a week.

This is for Toronto, Canada...

Man I just wish that RIDGID would actually get back to me with this information with their e-mail withing 72 hours like they said it normally takes? Its been a week already.... B/S

If you want to find out anyting, just look for the info.. your self.

No real exchange eperiance yet but I will be keeping my tool and mailing in the warranty info... after having a nice talk with someone that acutually knows what they are doing and deals with Ridgid on a day to day basis..

Konrad

Comment

I've been reading alot of negative comments on Ridgid batteries. I just want to share my experience. So far I have twelve 18v, two 24v, and two 12v batteries that have come with various tools I've purchased. To date I've had to replace both 24v and one 18v LI. The local service center treated me awesome. All the batteries were replaced at no charge with about a two week lead time. I don't know about the other folks posting, but I've owned Porter Cable and Makita. Although the tools were fine, they're all under my work bench because the batteries have died and new batteries cost more that the tools. Rigid's LSA is incredible. No one else I know of replaces batteries at no charge for the life of the tool. All of the rigid tools perform as well or better than other brands I've used. The only other problems I've had have been with my planer (smoked the motor) and my cordless recipricating saw (broke the blade attachment off). Both were resolved within the two week time frame with no charge and no hassle. I've been buying Ridgid exclusively for the last three or four years and they haven't let me down yet. Just make sure to register your tools!!!!!

Comment

Trukstuff

Thanks for the great information.

I mailed in all of my information today almost put in a registered and tracked mail on it but said no.... its ok , I do not use my powertools as much as you do, not even close. Just around house stuff. But it really is nice to hear that you were taken care of.

As Far as the waiting time goes..... Well what do you expect.. Someone has to test all of the equipment to see what is the actual cause and if something other than suspected originally has caused the problem for the Battery to fail for your tools. I Can totaly understand that.... I go through that almost everyday @ my work just in a different field.

Thanks for your time to reply.
        Konrad

Comment

Konrad,

I presume that many forum members just haven't picked up on your post yet. In the past, I've read several "positive" comments on having the batteries replaced under the LLSA. Of course there's been negative comments too... especially with regards to the time frame that some service centers take. Part of that perhaps is that from time to time there has been supply problem, I suspect.

I've only had to use service on two occasions. On the first occasion, it was for a Ryobi product (same service center as Ridgid... in Syracuse at the time) and it was repaired as returned via UPS within two weeks. The second occasion was with my new service center whick is just eight miles south of where I live in Painted Post, NY (near Corning). The latter was for two tools (wobbly chuck on 14.4 drill and corded sander which spitted out a broken part).

The latter was a new service center and is basically a small operation. But service was great, friendly, and I'm very happy with the tools. Perhaps because this was new to the service operation or because it was just a part supply problem, but it took four weeks. Probably would have made someone else unhappy, but I have "backups" and perhaps like you, I don't need the tools to make a living.

Neither case was a battery problem of course, but I too had the question before I bought my first cordless. Biggest complaints I've read are with battery and charger failures, regardless of brand. I went "Ridgid", simply because of their LLSA and it's battery replacement policy. My first cordless tools were 14.4 volt and after three or four years, they are still performing very well. (I have two 14.4-, two 18-, one 7-nicads, and one 12-volt Li-ion). I have yet to have a problem with any of them.

But, I did aske the local service guy about it... and he said he had yet to replace any batteries (of couse at the time he was new); but, it was his understanding that I would have to bring in the tool, the charger, and the battery in question... and he would check them out and order whatever replacement parts would be necessay. Seems simple enough to me.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Well, I will say that there are several people on the forums that have had the 18V LiIon batteries die after a year of light use, and I am one of them. I kept them inside as I had read that cold weather could affect them.

So today I went to our local service center to drop off my batteries and the people there are great. They will keep the batteries, charger, and a drill to test everything. I was not asked for a deposit of any kind though. I was also told that because I live in a different town than the closest service center that they can send the tools back UPS for free. That was very nice as well since it was a 30minute drive to get to the service center.

Definitely fill out all the registration (make a copy to keep as well) and send that in on time. I had a few problems getting the LSA 'enabled' on my registered tools, but a 2minute call today got that cleared up.

So yah, if I was depending on the batteries for day to day work, I would certainly have a few extra and complain more about the battery quality. But as it is, I will just be sure to check that they are working fine every month or two and before any big planned projects.

That's not to say they shouldn't improve the battery quality -- they should, it's more that without the LSA I would certainly not be buying Ridgid cordless tools. I don't know if they will honor purchasing a battery from most of the eBay stores, so I'd rather spend $25 more at HD to get one with an LSA.

Comment

It is my understanding, that the batteries that come with your tool purchase are covered by the LLSA (with proper registration of the tool, of course), but that batteries that are purchased separately are NOT eligible for registration and therefore are not covered by the "Limited Lifetime Service Agreement". Perhaps someone else could confirm this too.

Also, regarding a "fee" for getting service, even if it is just a token "returnable" deposit... I have not experienced that or even read of such a thing, at least until I saw a post yesterday about it. Perhaps that's just something required in Canada (I believe that is where the poster resided).

So, is there anyone who has had to leave a "deposit" before warranty or LLSA service was performed? Seems a little redundant, considering the service personnel have your expensive tool already.

CWS

Comment

I also have read that some people have been having problems with the 18V line... Not only on this forum.

I think alot of them are contractors and they use their tools pretty much every day. I know everyone says that you should have a backup and everything but I can really understand why those guys get upset... I Mean I would get upset too.... I think If I was in the middle of a job and everything and was told to drop off my entire cordless kit off...

But lucky for me I would not care as long as they fix or replace the battery withing a reasonable time im ok.

BTW thank you for all the information..

Regards
                Konrad

Comment

Just to follow up on any questions regarding LLSA coverage of separately purchased Ridgid batteries:

I was in Home Depot yesterday and checked several packages of Ridgid batteries, including both NiCad and Li-Ion. The package states that the warranty is 3-years. There is no mention of the LLSA.

We did have a Ridgid/Ryobi/Milwauki service rep in the store promoting the products. I had a nice informative chat with him. Regarding the batteries, he told me that "as far as he knew" they were not covered by the LLSA as separate purchases.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

I wouldn't know about the service centers because they are over a 100 miles away.

Comment

Ok, like sooo many others I do not believe I registered my drill when I bought it. I do however still have my receipt, clear as day with the purchase date. Will they still honor my warranty?

Comment

Originally posted by fireftrbuck View Post
                        Ok, like sooo many others I do not believe I registered my drill when I bought it. I do however still have my receipt, clear as day with the purchase date. Will they still honor my warranty?
                        3 year warranty. doubt they will honor lsa. How long ago did you buy?

Comment

I must be one of the odd ones. I have an 18v autoshift drill now about 1 1/2 years old. The smaller battery that came with it (CS0944) went bad over a month ago. I went to our local service center in Pittsburgh, and he has been waiting months for the battery. Fortunately, I am a DIYer, but I use it almost daily. I have now been waiting over a month with no end in sight.

Help Ridgid! Also, when I do a search on the Ridgid site for the model or serial number of the battery, the search does not find it. Strange.

Comment

I took two of my dead batteries for my cordless drill ( 2 years old ) to the local "service center" a couple weeks ago. They called back later and said that it would cost AT LEAST $40 to ship the batteries in plus an administration fee, and this fee, and that fee. I picked up the batteries and brough them home as it sounded like it would pretty much cost as much as buying new batteries outright.

Is there typically this kind of cost involved in the warranty process for the batteries or was the local service center just trying to stick it to me??

Comment

If your batteries are still under warranty (and verified as being so), your out-the-door cost should be zero dollars.
                              "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Working...
                              X