Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Questions for 18V Li-Ion drill owners

Originally posted by Andrew M. View Post
    Kevin, are you using the compact battery ?

I still do not see what kind of drill OP is having issues with. This thread is of little value without specifics. The 1.5aH battery is not for heavy drilling & driving esp. in hi gear. I would never use hi gear for that application, if you want type of speed that buy a corded screwgun, or use the impact driver. Both will be louder which you said is a problem, but then again if using the clutch on a cordless that makes noise too.

My 12v Bosch compact will drive a 3" screw, but I do not usually use it for that.
    R86006 is the drill in question.

Comment

I’m not a hard core user of this drill; in fact I’m what you would call an occasional user. I’ve always had DeWalt products in the past but my wife bought me this 18V LI R86006 unit for Christmas two years ago. At first I was really impressed with it because the batteries seemed to last forever on a single charge and it had good power for a cordless.

This summer I was building a fence driving some 1.5” screws through pickets into 2X4s and the first battery just died. I went to charge it and it flashed RED/GREEN indicating a fried battery. I knew it was probably out of warranty being 1.5 years old so I limped along with a single battery vs. shelling out $100 for a second one. All told…..the first battery to die was not charged more than 4 times.

The second one just died a few days ago after being charged no more than 9 or 10 times. What I have now is a $200 bag that it came in and no working drill. I refuse to pay another $200 for batteries on the gamble that they work. I can spend that money on a DeWalt that I know will work for years.

After reading this forum I realize I am not alone. When I contacted Ridgid about the problems I was having they responded with a canned email. When I responded to that they responded with a second canned email telling me to contact a third party servicer. They obviously have no intention of standing by their product and for that reason I will never buy another of their tools.

What large companies like Ridgid are slow to realize is that when they mistreat a customer these days that customer does not just sit quietly and complain to themselves. They complain to 500 facebook friends who in turn have thousands more. Who knows, in the long run it may be better for Ridgid to keep my $200 but I’m betting if you count the lost potential earnings it’s not a good bargain for them.

I know that I will go out of my way to ensure no one I know makes the mistake of purchasing their products. They make poor quality products and employ even worse customer service.

I’ve attached the canned emails they sent me below.
      ************************************************** *******************************
      12/29/09 09:21: Please read the warranty statement provided in the drills manual, for warranty guideline information that will assist you.
      12/28/09 13:34: So basically you are telling me to contact someone else? They will say the unit is two years old and say sorry even if the batteries were charged less than a dozen times between the two of them. I cannot imagine I am the only one who has had this occur.
      12/28/09 11:48: Unknown

Warranty coverage/service and repairs for your Ridgid power tools can be obtained by determining your closest authorized Ridgid service dealer from the dealer locator at the URL link below for service and repairs.

Please have your LSA/customer number, or your purchase receipt available when dealing with an authorized warranty service dealer on warranty coverage and related matters. The tools serial number can be used by a service dealer, if an LSA number or receipt can not be provided.

Contact your nearest service dealer to arrange for the warranty service, and to insure that you provide them with everything necessary to properly assist you under warranty guidelines.

http://www.ridgid.com/MenuDriver.asp...enters&Code=PT

Best regards,

Tom Clinkscales
      Consumer Response
      One World Technologies, Inc.
      12/27/09 15:40: Two years ago for Christmas my wife bought me this 18V Ridgid cordless drill. It came with two batteries and a bag. I was initially very impressed that the batteries lasted so long; in fact I rarely had to charge them since I generally just use it for small jobs around the house. I was pretty disappointed this summer when I went to charge one of the batteries and it showed the flashing green and red lights indicating a faulty battery. This couldn't have been more than the third or fourth time I had charged the battery. Since the batteries cost $100 for this $200 drill I decided to simply live with a single battery. Today...I tried to charge the second battery for maybe the tenth time and it too died. I can tell you I will not be purchasing more batteries for this unit because the track record is so very bad. Yes, the unit is two years old but.....the batteries have been charged only a few times and this I feel is a total rip off. I am curious if I have any recourse here or am I just out $200 on a bad gamble with this product?
      Last edited by Blisterphish; 12-29-2009, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Your batteries and charger may be somewhat heat/cold sensitive. Try charging again with charger and batteries at room temperature, i.e. 68 degrees. Try placing on and off charger several times; battery may "catch" after several tries. Also, if your system is only two years old you may still be able to register the warranty if you have the sales receipt. Check the service center (call them) and find out what they require as proof before they will test and replace a system. Take all components (drill, charger, batteries) to them.

Comment

Update:

I've been in contact with several people at Ridgid over this issue, and have acquired some of the full size batteries to test.

I'm in the process of a bathroom remodel so I'm giving the R86006 drill a workout this week. I've been able to do a back to back comparison between the compact and fullsize batteries.

First off, I almost always leave the drill in high gear...low is too slow, and I won't use it unless I'm driving a lag bolt or something, but even then I usually use my 3/8" impact wrench.

Short version: Big batteries=awesome, Compact batteries = weaksauce.

Long Version = My new compact batteries work fine with the 1 5/8" screws I'm using for the drywall and subfloor, but that's about it. Driving 3" or 3-1/2" screws makes the drill shut down due to the built in overload protection in the batteries. It also shut down with a 2" holesaw and a 1 inch spade bit.

The full size batteries amazed me. In high gear, I haven't been able to stall the drill. 3-1/2" screws are no problem...even in 70 year old wood. It ran the hole saw and spade bit without problems as well. With the full size batteries, the drill has more power than I know what to do with. I'm very impressed with the performance of the drill using the larger batteries, and I'll be selling all of my smaller batteries to buy more big ones.

Comment

Originally posted by lbhsbz View Post
            I'm very impressed with the performance of the drill using the larger batteries, and I'll be selling all of my smaller batteries to buy more big ones.
            Thanks for expressing your experience with the 1.5 Ah battery but only batteries purchased in a KIT have LLSA. Based on your test results I would continue using the 1.5 Ah battery for lighter-duty tasks. I have no issues with my 1.5/3.0 Ah Li batteries or Ni Cads
            Last edited by reConx; 02-02-2010, 07:27 PM.

Comment

I also thought I was stepping up in class when I purchased the R86006. I would love to return to HD and change brands due to the battery issue alone. Since I've had it for ten months and used it a grand total of maybe 4 hrs.
              (home use only), and I registered with Rigid I can't buy a new kit and return this one to HD. I certainly feel that we were shafted.

Comment

I was thinking of switching over to the ridgid Li-on 18v by buying the big expensive 5 tool kit. Now after reading enough posts I think I'll pass.

Odd how some folks seem to have no problems with the 18v and some do. Is it just a quality control issue or do the batts come from different sources? Is there any sign that Ridgid is working on the problem?

I have a 14.4 ni-cad drill from 2005 and they've been pretty good at repairing and replacing batts so far.

Comment

I have the combo kit, 18v auto shift drill, impact driver, light and radio. Have had no problems with the kit other than the batteries on the charger sometimes show defective, but remove and replace batteries in charger and then charges with no problems.
                  Last edited by pipsqueek; 05-03-2010, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blisterphish View Post
                    I’m not a hard core user of this drill; in fact I’m what you would call an occasional user. I’ve always had DeWalt products in the past but my wife bought me this 18V LI R86006 unit for Christmas two years ago. At first I was really impressed with it because the batteries seemed to last forever on a single charge and it had good power for a cordless.

This summer I was building a fence driving some 1.5” screws through pickets into 2X4s and the first battery just died. I went to charge it and it flashed RED/GREEN indicating a fried battery. I knew it was probably out of warranty being 1.5 years old so I limped along with a single battery vs. shelling out $100 for a second one. All told…..the first battery to die was not charged more than 4 times.

The second one just died a few days ago after being charged no more than 9 or 10 times. What I have now is a $200 bag that it came in and no working drill. I refuse to pay another $200 for batteries on the gamble that they work. I can spend that money on a DeWalt that I know will work for years.

After reading this forum I realize I am not alone. When I contacted Ridgid about the problems I was having they responded with a canned email. When I responded to that they responded with a second canned email telling me to contact a third party servicer. They obviously have no intention of standing by their product and for that reason I will never buy another of their tools.

What large companies like Ridgid are slow to realize is that when they mistreat a customer these days that customer does not just sit quietly and complain to themselves. They complain to 500 facebook friends who in turn have thousands more. Who knows, in the long run it may be better for Ridgid to keep my $200 but I’m betting if you count the lost potential earnings it’s not a good bargain for them.

I know that I will go out of my way to ensure no one I know makes the mistake of purchasing their products. They make poor quality products and employ even worse customer service.

I’ve attached the canned emails they sent me below.
                    ************************************************** *******************************
                    12/29/09 09:21: Please read the warranty statement provided in the drills manual, for warranty guideline information that will assist you.
                    12/28/09 13:34: So basically you are telling me to contact someone else? They will say the unit is two years old and say sorry even if the batteries were charged less than a dozen times between the two of them. I cannot imagine I am the only one who has had this occur.
                    12/28/09 11:48: Unknown

Warranty coverage/service and repairs for your Ridgid power tools can be obtained by determining your closest authorized Ridgid service dealer from the dealer locator at the URL link below for service and repairs.

Please have your LSA/customer number, or your purchase receipt available when dealing with an authorized warranty service dealer on warranty coverage and related matters. The tools serial number can be used by a service dealer, if an LSA number or receipt can not be provided.

Contact your nearest service dealer to arrange for the warranty service, and to insure that you provide them with everything necessary to properly assist you under warranty guidelines.

http://www.ridgid.com/MenuDriver.asp...enters&Code=PT

Best regards,

Tom Clinkscales
                    Consumer Response
                    One World Technologies, Inc.
                    12/27/09 15:40: Two years ago for Christmas my wife bought me this 18V Ridgid cordless drill. It came with two batteries and a bag. I was initially very impressed that the batteries lasted so long; in fact I rarely had to charge them since I generally just use it for small jobs around the house. I was pretty disappointed this summer when I went to charge one of the batteries and it showed the flashing green and red lights indicating a faulty battery. This couldn't have been more than the third or fourth time I had charged the battery. Since the batteries cost $100 for this $200 drill I decided to simply live with a single battery. Today...I tried to charge the second battery for maybe the tenth time and it too died. I can tell you I will not be purchasing more batteries for this unit because the track record is so very bad. Yes, the unit is two years old but.....the batteries have been charged only a few times and this I feel is a total rip off. I am curious if I have any recourse here or am I just out $200 on a bad gamble with this product?
                    What Tom is trying to tell you, if you will shut your mouth and open your eyes, is to (1) read your warranty because if you have the receipt the batts are covered for at least 3 years under the standard warranty or for your lifetime if you registered for the LSA or (2) contact a Ridgid service center (third party you are complaining about) who can explain your options. There is a no cost solution to your problem if you can get yourself out of the way.....Ray

Comment

Originally posted by RayG View Post
                      I also thought I was stepping up in class when I purchased the R86006. I would love to return to HD and change brands due to the battery issue alone. Since I've had it for ten months and used it a grand total of maybe 4 hrs.
                      (home use only), and I registered with Rigid I can't buy a new kit and return this one to HD. I certainly feel that we were shafted.
                      Ray.....You did step up in class because you have options that can provide a no cost solution. Please, please, please read about the Ridgid three(3) year warranty that covers the tools you purchased and the terms for the LSA Lifetime Service Agreement which covers repair or replacement of the Ridgid tools for life if they fail due to normal wear. You should contact the Ridgid service center (not Home Depot, they have nothing to do with the after sale service of Ridgid power tool products) nearest you. There is a three year warranty that covers your tools and batteries. You will only need to provide proof of purchase. They will want to test the batts, charger, and drill to determine where the problem is. They will repair or replace whatever components are defective. If you had registered the tool set for the Lifetime Service Agreement you would receive those expensive LI batts free for life, plus repair or replacement of any of the tools free for life.
                      See, there is a no cost solution that should leave you feeling "not shafted", but "loved".
                      Good luck...Ray
                      Last edited by roadrashray; 03-27-2010, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Hi, yes i also own 12v ridgid mini drill owned it about a year maybe little less and the batteries failed not sure realy how much cold exposure they had probly some,but i kind of thought they died somewhat early.it did not get lots of use either.also the drill would stop sometimes also when drilling and not because it needed charging.but i liked the drill small,light,fits in tool belt,so i bought another battery we'll see how long it last.

Comment

Originally posted by woodnutt99 View Post
                          Hi, yes i also own 12v ridgid mini drill owned it about a year maybe little less and the batteries failed not sure realy how much cold exposure they had probly some,but i kind of thought they died somewhat early.it did not get lots of use either.also the drill would stop sometimes also when drilling and not because it needed charging.but i liked the drill small,light,fits in tool belt,so i bought another battery we'll see how long it last.
                          Did you take the original batt to a Ridgid service center and get it tested and replaced under the 3 year warranty or LSA?.....Ray

Comment

my 1st set of batteries sucked too, lasted a couple months.

took them to the service ctr, got new ones in less than a week, work great so far, no problems.

i was also very disappointed with the battery life and power on the ones in the box and thought i made a big mistake buying it, but with the new batteries, it's finally starting to win me over.

Comment

It's not good to not use a battery and just let it sit around. You should use it and charge it right away, never ever fully discharge a Lithium Ion battery. In fact most newer tools will tell you to recharge your (LI) battery pack well prior to it really being discharged because of this fact.
                              Anecdotal evidence suggests that you should use your battery too. Take a look at a lot of the posts on this forum and folks that have failed battery's will often mention that they only charged the battery 3 or 4 or 5 or so times since they bought it a year or two ago. Thats not good, a good LI battery should get 200 to 400 charge/discharge cycles.
                              Obviously Ridgid tools have battery problems. I'm not trying to say they don't but if you maintain your LI battery's the way a LI battery needs to be maintained you might do better with them. LI technology is changing rapidly and the LI you bought last year likely isn't the same as you got in this year tool. No one really knows yet which composition of chemicals works best yet only time will tell and a lot of charge/discharge cycles in the mean time. Remember heat hurts a battery more than cold does too so if your not using your tools much don't store them in a hot garage!
                              Hope this is helpful info - want more? Check out the battery university, it's a good site for batterys of all types. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X