Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions for 18V Li-Ion drill owners

I've written an update on page 2 after having tried the larger batteries

Question 1: Can your drill, on a freshly charged battery, sink a 3" drywall/deck screw in high gear?

Question 2: Does your drill seem to shut off in "protection mode" prematurely under relatively low load conditions, like drilling w/ a spade bit through a 2x or 4x?

Question 3: Have your batteries failed

Question 4: How much downtime did you experience for replacements

My answers:

1: My drill will drive a 3 inch screw only about 2 inches into the wood in high gear. To seat the screw, I need to shift into low. It will not sink the head more than 1/4" into the wood.

2: It will not drill a complete 3/4" hole in a 2x4 without shutting off at least twice in high gear.

3: Yes

4: Still waiting on my replacements.

I have read a lot of posts on this forum and it seems as if many are having issues with the batteries. Since I needed a drill and could not wait any longer, I went and bought a similar class drill from the competition for a similar price. It has at least twice the power if not more, than the Ridgid. I also tried a comparable drill from a third brand while I was at the store, and it too proved that my Ridgid was grossly underpowered. I have 2 ridgid drills, one is almost 2 years old and one is only about 8 months or so old. Both perform the same.

My objective here is to get enough people together to hopefully convince Ridgid to step up to the plate and do something about it.

"Take it in for service under warranty" is not satisfactory answer. The batteries are defective, the drill is just poorly designed, which is not something that can be "fixed" at the service center level. The replacement batteries will also fail in short order, requiring yet another visit to the service center and even more downtime. Buying additional batteries (which is why I bought my second drill...due to bare batteries being unavailable) shouldn't be necessary to have a drill that you can rely on...especially when the drill comes with a $200 price tag. After having used other comparable drills, I'm also astonished at the lack of power that I would have noticed during my 90 days had I known what a good drill was capable of...since both of my drills performed the same, I thought it was just a characteristic of the new battery technology...but now I know that it is not.

I will post pictures later of a performance comparison between my 18V makita and one of my still brand new 18V Ridgid drills to show the clear differences.

I'm kinda mad because now I'm stuck with $400 worth of tools that are really more or less worthless.

I'd like to see Ridgid acknowledge a problem with their drills and batteries and either replace the entire package with a better tool like the competition offers or buy back the defective units at 80% or so of the list price that we paid. Since I did use the product for a short period of time, It's unfair to ask for a full refund.

If you're unhappy with your 18V drill, please post up here...lets get it all in one thread.
    Last edited by lbhsbz; 02-02-2010, 07:02 PM.

Re: Questions for 18V Li-Ion drill owners

Which model is your drill? I will have to do some tests, but I have used the impact driver for just about everything. I use the drill for, well drilling holes.

So:
    1 - Will test. With impact driver I can easily sink a 3" deck screw into PT lumber.

2 - I've never seen it shut off except when the battery is basically dead. I have had a dead battery that shut off after 1min on a full recharge. Again, I use the impact driver with my spade bits and it is amazing.

3 - Yes, 1 dead, 1 seems to be 1/2 dead. I have used them with the reciprocating saw to dismember most of the <1" branches off a 50' tree. Should have taken 2 charges but was more like 3-4. Circular saw works great, though I'm going to try a better blade to see how much better it gets.

4 - I will let you know how long it takes to get the new batteries. I was told 1-2weeks is the usual time.

If you'd like to come up with a simple test that people could do, I'd be willing to report some #s. As I'm now a bit curious as to how bad your drill is compared to mine .

I was hoping the battery issue would get resolved quickly as it has to be costly them money to replace them through a service center.

Comment

My test is to simply take a 3" deck screw, and with the drill in high gear, run the screw into a piece of lumber. Every battery drill I've ever owned...my old 12V makita, my old 12V hitachi, my old 18V harbor freight drill, and most definatly my newest makita can at least sink the head of the screw 1/8" or so below the surface of the wood.

My Ridgid leaves about an inch or so still sticking out before it shuts off and needs to be shifted into low to finish the job.

See if you can do this test. I'm curious as to whether I received 2 duds, purchased a year apart, or if this is the way these are supposed to perform.

Impacts are great, but do a lot of my work at night after the wife and kid are in bed. The drill is nice and quiet...the impact will result in other impacts...LOL.

Comment

K, I'll give it a shot as soon as I get my drill and batteries back. :P

Comment

Here's pictures of my test...

Screw on the left is with a Makita 18V using a compact battery in high gear.

Screw on the right is using the Ridgid 18V with the compact battery in high gear. This is as far as it got before the drill shut off. Letting it rest for a bit and then trying again resulted in the drill shutting off once again with no further progress.

Can't see the screw on the left?....here it is, a little better picture. I ran out of bit length, but the drill still had plenty of power to keep going if I'd had a longer bit.

Comment

I returned both of my compact 18v drills,the first version, bought a over a year ago, after a few weeks, b/c the performance was terrible, chuck wobble, lack of power and constant shut down under load in hi speed. Not a good tool. My Ridgid 12v, 4 year old Ni Cd kicked its butt. I really do not drive fasteners with drills anymore with the impacts I have. The 18v Ni Cd Ridgid is really good for heavy duty use, think the 18v Ni Cd Milwaukee is the same driver.

Comment

Same problems as you see a few posts below yours.......It's hard to keep a smile on your face these days.

Comment

Ok so i go to the warranty depo and talk with the service guy and he does not have any batt's in stock. He has been waiting for weeks and will call me as soon as they come in. Also he does warranty for 3 manufactures Ridgid, ryobi and Milwaukee. He said that he has 400 LI-ion batteries in the back that have been exchanged for warranty. I guess that its not just ridgid, they are all CRAP. Glad to know that these engineers who design this stuff do their homework and still get paid 6 figures. Ok i am done venting ..on with life.

Comment

Bad Batteries here also.
                  When will they get the message?

Comment

Hi all:

I own the 18V Li-Ion X3 Hammer drill. Not sure if it is apples to apples but I used 3" deck screws on my deck. I first screwed a few through 1" railing into the columns and also screwed through the flooring planks into 2x4's underneath. The drill was in 'screw mode' and in high gear (truthfully the drill is so powerful that I have never used low ratio and forgot the setting was there) and the screws went in like a hot knife through butter. No predrilling.

The heads are below the surface of the wood. I was driving some small bolts into steel and in high gear the clutch at setting 24 ratcheted and I had to release the trigger for the motor to stop moving.

I have used 3/4" drill bits on this drill and also long concrete bits and in hammer mode it went through a concrete wall with no problem...LOUD though when hammering.

IMO this is an extremely powerful drill. I looked at the non hammer drill but it felt a bit lightweight for what I do with these things.

I hope that I do not have problems with the batteries or the equipment but so far so good.

On a side note, the little impact is very nice. I use it for a lot of stuff.

Kevin

Comment

Kevin, are you using the compact battery ?

I still do not see what kind of drill OP is having issues with. This thread is of little value without specifics. The 1.5aH battery is not for heavy drilling & driving esp. in hi gear. I would never use hi gear for that application, if you want type of speed that buy a corded screwgun, or use the impact driver. Both will be louder which you said is a problem, but then again if using the clutch on a cordless that makes noise too.

My 12v Bosch compact will drive a 3" screw, but I do not usually use it for that.

Comment

Andrew:

I own the 3AH batteries.

Kevin

Comment

Kevin, those are good for heavier use. The OP is trying to use hi speed with compact batteries for a 3" screw. Not going to work well. Hard on the tool and battery. I returned my compact 18v drills as the performance was poor, even drilling . Ridgid seems to have issues with the compact batteries in 18v. As I said, my older 12v NiCd ridgid drill way out performed the 18v LiI compact. I use that the most of my many drills, since I have 6 batteries for that, bought extra ones since they were on clearance for $5 last year. Nice drill, good balance.

Comment

Andrew:

I agree with you. At work we exclusively use ridgid tools for cordless work (from small screwdrivers to hammer drills, recips, etc). We have had zero issues with the older nicad ridgid stuff, irrespective of the tool size.

I bought this set for home (X3), other guys have the X2, and we have drilled through 1" steel with 1 3/4" hole saws with the X2 hammer drill and we have not had an issue yet (well, except broken and dulled bits...but it is steel ).

Kevin

Comment

I have both the compact 1.5 and the 3.0 batteries and performance doesn't seem to vary based on the battery. I use the all of the batteries interchangeably in my X3 kit as well as the compact kits, with the exception of the reciprocating saw. I have never had a problem burying a screw in wood regardless of the length.

Comment

Working...
                              X