Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4510 tablesaw ground strap (to stand).

I just picked up a Ridgid R4510 tablesaw and will be using it on a bench rather than the original stand.

I see that there is a green wire leading from the saw and attached to the stand. What is this for and what should I do with it after removing the saw from the stand?

The Bosch and DeWalt and Hitachi don't have such a wire, nor do any of the miter saws I've seen mounted to stands.

Thanks,
    Coop

Re: R4510 tablesaw ground strap (to stand).

I don't have that saw, but I would presume the green wire to the metal stand was to ensure no stray current would be built-up on the frame during operation and give you a shock. The green wire would provide a ground connection back through the switch/motor wire to the ground provided by the home circuit. Without seeing it, I presume that the power cord is a 3-prong and all other metal components, including the motor is grounded back to the power cord/switch assembly.

I have a Ryobi BTS21 with a plastic surround, enforced by metal panels and on a folding metal stand. All the metal parts are grounded (green wire) by to the switch and power cord for same reason.

With that understanding, I don't see a need to do anything with the loose green wire as it serves no purpose once the stand is detached. I'd probably just tag it, in the case where you might remount it to the metal stand, or sell it to someone else in the future.

I would have thought that this should have been mentioned somewhere in the instruction manual.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Comment

Yep, I got that part... it appears to just protect the base from building up any static electricity or stray electricity from a broken circuit in the saw (should that ever happen). It's always best to ensure that any conductive metal part is properly grounded, just in case.

The question was in regard to the saw being equipped with a 3-prong plug, which I cannot imagine that it wouldn't be. (Portable tools get built with "double-insulation", but I haven't seen a table saw built like that... hence the need for a 3-prong plug with grounding pin.)

I think you're fine and everything should be okay. Just pop a piece of tape or other label on the green wire and label it "Ground to metal frame, if used!".

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
          Yep, I got that part... it appears to just protect the base from building up any static electricity or stray electricity from a broken circuit in the saw (should that ever happen). It's always best to ensure that any conductive metal part is properly grounded, just in case.

The question was in regard to the saw being equipped with a 3-prong plug, which I cannot imagine that it wouldn't be. (Portable tools get built with "double-insulation", but I haven't seen a table saw built like that... hence the need for a 3-prong plug with grounding pin.)

I think you're fine and everything should be okay. Just pop a piece of tape or other label on the green wire and label it "Ground to metal frame, if used!".

I hope this helps,

CWS
          I figured as much about the static electricity. I just tucked it away into the base to the right and replaced the black base.

Comment

Not a 4510, but a 4511...

Which has a non-conductive table to which the very conductive fence rails are attached. There is a bonding strap from the cabinet to the rail. Should a fault ever develop (Lord knows how), and the rails went live, the earth path would be directly through the operator touching it. Seems unlikely to me, but an obvious solution no matter how remote the possibility of the fault path arising.

So on the 4510, the plastic case would insulate the stand, but again, if a fault path developed, and the frame went live, there would be no earth path other than through the operator.

For the sake of a 10 cent bonding strap, millions of dollars in claims are averted. Or more to the point, UL will certify the product, meaning they can be sold.

Comment

Originally posted by Roadster280 View Post
              Not a 4510, but a 4511...

Which has a non-conductive table to which the very conductive fence rails are attached. There is a bonding strap from the cabinet to the rail. Should a fault ever develop (Lord knows how), and the rails went live, the earth path would be directly through the operator touching it. Seems unlikely to me, but an obvious solution no matter how remote the possibility of the fault path arising.

So on the 4510, the plastic case would insulate the stand, but again, if a fault path developed, and the frame went live, there would be no earth path other than through the operator.

For the sake of a 10 cent bonding strap, millions of dollars in claims are averted. Or more to the point, UL will certify the product, meaning they can be sold.
              So at the end of the day...? Just tuck it away amd pretend it's a Bosch, Dewalt, Hitachie, etc?

Comment

Working...
              X