I recently purchased a used table saw (Craftsman 113.299315 Contractor saw). I think I found out why they sold it so cheap. After a lot of work it appears that not only was it poorly assembled at the factory but that was compounded by poor assembly by the P.O. When I got it home I discovered the blade wasn't 90 degrees to the table surface. Off by quite a bit actually. Mybe 1/32 close to the arbor. That turned out to be two issues, one of witch was casting flash on the arbor cradle where it hits the 90 degree stop. I filed that off and proceeded with checking and inspecting. I also noticed that the motor was cocked at a slight angle on it's mounting plate so took it off and fixed that. When reinstalling the motor I reached up inside to put the arbor shaft end of the belt over the pulley and the pulley came off in my hand! Put that back on and tightened the set screw and adjusted the motor pulley to get the belt to line up better. After getting it back together, I plugged it in and it ran fine with less vibration than before but found out that the arbor shaft pulley hits a casting part on the top when raised all the way. I suspect this is the other part of not getting the blade 90 degrees to the table because it never touches the 90 degree stop screw unless I take the arbor pulley off. Turned out the woodruff key in the arbor shaft is installed cocked and won't let the pulley slide on far enough to clear the casting. Haven't figured out a way to get the key out yet, it's stuck in the shaft groove. I then discovered that it was very hard to turn the tilt wheel. I looked underneath and found quite a bit of sawdust on the screw threads and in the trunions. Cleaned all that off with a chip brush and vacuum but it was still hard to turn but better. Couldn't seem to get it all the way to the 45 degree stop though and in attemting to, wound up stripping a couple of threads on the tilt screw. Eventually I wound up taking the cast iron top off the base and laying it face down on a blanket on the floor. Upon examination and in trying to move the arbor cradle to the 45 degree position I found out that the cradle is binding in the front trunnion to the point that it won't move either way with out tapping with a rubber mallet. I suspect that the front trunnion (in fact the whole arbor cradle) is cocked to one side causing the cradle to bind on the front trunnion. I'm going to have to build an open stand to set the top on so I can try to adjust it using a mastergage masterplate and make sure it's aligned with the miter slots and the blade insert. With all of this I'm sure the guy I bought it from got rid of it because it had to be making really lousy cuts. Of course he compounded things by assembling it sloppily besides the factory screwups. The bright side is, there doesn't seem to be a lot of wear on the mechanism or arbor shaft play, or excessive runout on the arbor face. I found one high spot about .0005 in the full circumference. When I get the cradle issues straightened out it should be a good saw and last a long time. (Providing I can get a new tilt screw. The mechanism is the same as a Ridgid 24120,24121,24240 or 24241 so I can probably use one from Ridgid since Sears doesn't have one for it)
No announcement yet.
The horrors of a used Table SawPage Title Module
Move Remove Collapse