Screws Rusting Inside My 12 Gal Ridgid Wet/Dry Vac

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screws Rusting Inside My 12 Gal Ridgid Wet/Dry Vac

My two year old 12 gallon wet dry vac started make a loud noise when I turned it on. It almost sounded like something like a small piece of drywall tape or sandpaper somehow got into the motor section. The motor also smelled like it was burning up. I wanted to take the phillips screws out of the top that hold the motor on. They are located on the inside cover. To my surprise they were rusting away. I was able to get two out and the others were stripping because the heads were rusting away. I can't believe Ridgid would use screws that would rust instead of stainless screws.

Re: Screws Rusting Inside My 12 Gal Ridgid Wet/Dry Vac

No offense but I can't believe that you would think that they would use SS screws in a consumer grade shop vac. On the brighter side, you probably can have them replaced under warranty as they did fail.
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
      No offense but I can't believe that you would think that they would use SS screws in a consumer grade shop vac. On the brighter side, you probably can have them replaced under warranty as they did fail.

Well, then Dave, then do you believe what Ridgid says?
      "Professional Wet / Dry Vacs"
      http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Wet-Dry-Vacs/EN/index.htm

Yea that might cost an extra $.50. I have several Ridgid vacs and they all have rusty screws. I have thought the same thing. I do not think the 3 " professional grade" vacs I have are really that but higher end consumer aimed at the DIY market . Ridgid's idea of professional[as well as many others] is suspect even sometimes laughable, except with the plumbing tool division.

Have replaced some with SS, others I just put some marine grease over them.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew M. View Post
        Well, then Dave, then do you believe what Ridgid says?
        "Professional Wet / Dry Vacs"
        Well Andrew, I don't believe that I stuttered in my first post. I'm not in the habit of making statements that I don't believe to be true. Although, sometimes things that I say don't end up to be what is reality.
        ================================================== ====
        ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

What a $hitty design - after all, it is a WET/dry vac!
          Even my ShopVac brand has SS screws.

Comment

Very common problem. Just think-unless you have used it as a wet-vac, these screws will rust just from moisture in the atmosphere you are working in getting into the unit. I agree that another 50ยข worth of parts would help here. Thanks, David

Comment

I agree that "professional" grade should include something as simple and thought out as stainless steel screws to allow for disassembly. I put a dab of silicone adhesive on screw heads subjected to moisture. When I had to have my above ground pool liner replaced after more than ten years of use, the screw heads looked brand new when the silicone was removed!

Comment

I will add my voice to the chorus asking for, requesting, demanding that companies give some thought to the products they manufacture, the intended purpose and reasonable expectations of quality. A shopvac should have stainless steel screws when they are used in an area exposed to the contents of the vac. If Ridgid (I don't know which Ridgid the shopvac division is) is paying attention to this forum for customer feedback (they certainly should) hopefully they will make the correct adjustment.
                Thanks Tonytnt for bringing this to our attention......Ray

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                  Well Andrew, I don't believe that I stuttered in my first post. I'm not in the habit of making statements that I don't believe to be true. Although, sometimes things that I say don't end up to be what is reality.

...not to further an argument just to argue. As you can see the other's as agree that the screws should be SS. I was just poking fun using Ridgid's own words. Odd that would offend you since it is a quote from them. No where does Ridgid say these vacs are referred as "consumer grade" . Those are your words. To me this is simple , Ridgid being cheap .They should use SS screws on a WET/dry vac as it is exposed to water. Easy to fix if desired.
                  Last edited by Andrew M.; 12-23-2009, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X