Very dissapointed in Ridgid Compressor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very dissapointed in Ridgid Compressor

Ridgid Air Compressor model OF45150 started making a huge racket the other day. I turned it off and picked it up and ball bearing rolled across the floor. Great, right in the middle of a job, ran to Home Depot and bought another.
    Couple of days later I decided to see what was wrong ,tore it part and found its no big deal. Bearings at the bottom of piston rod came apart.
    Great I'll order parts and keep it for a spare.
    Not so, these parts are not offered by themselves, you must by the electric motor to get them at a cost of $240.00!! when the whole new compressor is less than $300.00
    Whos great idea was this? Deffinatly not user friendly. Dummy me I bought another Ridgid before discovering this design.
    If I cant come up with a fix it will be my last Ridgid purchase
    Anyone else ever run into this of find a fix?

Re: Very dissapointed in Ridgid Compressor

If you can find the side shields for the ball bearing(s) and if you know the ID, OD and thickness, then you should be able to obtain replacement ball bearings from a "Bearings & Power Transmission" dealer or in many cases a good electric motor rebuilding/rewinding shop. You'll need proper pullers and other tools, but for now I'll assume you have them and know how to change the bearings.

Comment

complain to ridgid. if it's less than 3 years old, i believe it's still guaranteed. did you register for the LSA? if yes to either, just have it fixed for free and return the one you had to buy to finish the project.
      there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Unfortunately, compressors don't fall under the LSA. If less than three years old, taking to a service center for assessment is a good suggestion.

It is true we only sell the complete assembly which drives the cost up. Though I know many of you are capable to make field repairs, it is not a piece where we can recommend component replacement. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Comment

Compressor is approx 4 years old sold out of warrenty.
          Its a very bad design since I have to throw out a perfectly good compressor for a $20.00 bearing.
          Just please sell me the bearing and I can fix it!! I have acess to a machine shop .
          If I cant get some help and get this fixed its the last Ridgid tool I will ever buy and I'll make sure my contarctor friends know about the lack of support also
          I dont think I am asking much, just sell me the bearing.
          Last edited by Orlando; 12-17-2009, 07:49 PM.

Comment

it's 4 years old and you're a flooring contractor. i take it it's used in your field of work on a regular basis. 4 years is very respectable for a commercial application.

was this an oiless compressor or an oil lubed unit? was it ever serviced?

all tools have a service life. i think $300. over 4 years for a contractor is pretty cheap in the scope of things.

have you priced out a commercial compressor and compared the life expectancy vrs. the ridgid at 300?

i doubt that the bearing is a propriety bearing. your friend at the machine shop should be able to press out the old and press in the new. there should be a trade # on the bearing race. if not just mic out the dimensions and match it up.

my last set of bearings came from the auto parts store and they were american made

don't want to get into what camera repairs cost

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Its a oiless unit and nothing to service except clean the air filter.
              I never once complained abou the unit breaking. What I am complaining about is getting replacement parts.
              There is nothing left of the bearing assembly to get numbers off of if there were any one it to begin with.
              I'm a small self employed flooring contactor with employees of 1, myself.
              Agin, not unhappy with the unit as far as how long it lasted but cannot understand the reasoning of throwing away a perfectly good compressor because of a bearing assembly that I cannot buy

Comment

most appliance, electronics and tools, don't pay to repair with today's labor cost. of course fixing it yourself is the exception.

measure the bearing, take a photo of the assembly and post it. i'm sure there are plenty of resources available to help locate a replacement.

bearings come in metric and american sizes.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

You dont understand, there is nothing left of the bearing except what is pressed onto the shaft.
                  What was left was in pieces, doesnt look like a normal bearing that is easily found

Comment

Orlando,
                    Not to be pejorative, but if you had that $300 compressor and used it for 4 years, your monthly cost was $6.25. That is a heck of a deal for a tool that allowed you to make a living for the last four years putting in floors. Your machine shop friend can probably put together a bearing race for you complete with bearings, for a pittance. Buy him a case of beer or a bottle of Jack. What I'd do is buy up this time and purchase a commercial quality compressor like an IR. One thing that most contractors and construction workers just don't seem to get is that ALL tools that have a cord will eventually end up in the trash can. And just about all hand tools will have a service life that will exceed the life of the owner.
                    Cheers,
                    Jim Don

Comment

If you want a power tool with a variety of replacement parts available, you better buy American. Good luck finding an American made compressor for $400. Remember, Ridgid just orders these compressors from an overseas manufacturer. Ridgid does not manufacture them. Could you imagine the logistics of setting up parts inventory and distribution for every part of every imported power tool Ridgid has sold. Not happening. Especially when the majority of Home Depot tool purchasers are homeowners who use their tools 1/10 what a pro does. Which would extend that Air Compressors life a lot longer than what you got. Which for your application, as was previously noted, was quite the acceptable price for 4 years of life. Chances are, once you replaced that bearing, something else, cutoff switch, seals, valves, etc would die, then the electric motor.
                      The only chance you have of finding a direct replacement, other than measuring and going thru an industrial bearing supply would be if Sears sold this compressor under their name. They usually have parts for just about anything they sell.

Comment

as stated go to a auto parts store or a farm implement dealer and most likely they will have the bearing on hand. if not there are bearing places on the net,

I have bought many many bearing at John Deere, Case IH, and Agco dealers, and many of the bearings were not for the farm equipment,

Granger's, http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...w5zEDpCHnYPEdg
                        Baum iron, http://www.baumhydraulics.com/home.p...9e4c84e8c9118e

http://www.bearingplace.com/

http://www.emersonbearing.com/index.html

even a place like Shoup http://www.shoupparts.com/
                        has a good selection of bearings,

and I am sure there are many many more

I have bought from most of the above places,

look in the phone book (yellow pages) there may be a bearing place in your town,
                        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                        attributed to Samuel Johnson
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Re: Very disappointed in Ridgid Compressor

I know you may be disappointed in the compressor you have, but I do not think you will find it much different in most tools that are imports by what ever company sells them,
                          even many brand name high quality tools are not being serviced if there more hardly more than the current run of things.

I have a older Makita drill, and the left hand screw broke off and the chuck unscrewed I call makita and found a authorized fix-it place, and went about ordering a screw for it
                          In the process they said they do not have parts for that any more, but could provide the screw,
                          (needed it so I asked about lock tighing the chuck on,) and the response was well if you ever need it repaired you may not be able to get apart to fix it,
                          (OK now if there are no parts then if it breaks it is a throw away tool is it not?)

most ever thing is basically considered disposable now days
                          and a oiless compressor I would basically consider it disposable,

people do just what you did you went out and bought another cheaper than repair of it,

(no I do not know why they price the parts more than the complete item, but you will see that in most any product to day),
                          but if one considers labor say the company charges $50 and hr to fix a tool, and the parts are $50, to rebuild some part, and it take 1 12 hrs to fix, say the tool is a drill or some item that costs about $150 to start with, do you want to pay $125 to fix some thing you can replace new for $25 more?
                          most will get the new,

and if they do fix it they will go out and get the parts them selfs and try to rebuilt it, saving the labor cost,
                          or toss the old in the dumpster, after it sets for a number of weeks collecting dust,

at one time things were repaired, a fuel pump in a car you bought a replacement diaphragm and took it apart and put it in and rebuilt it, then they changed to just remove and replace,

the same for most things you took the old part in and some mechanic would rebuild the old part to like new specifications or at your request just fix it to an operating unit,

but that day is long gone, it is hard to find a shop that can truly rebuild a starter or alternator, they will sell you a new one or a factory rebuild but will not do it them selfs,
                          the same for engines and transmissions, all bought few do there own work any more,

it is a throw a way era,

I do not like it any more than you do, but it is what your up against,
                          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                          attributed to Samuel Johnson
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I believe I have found the bearing you are looking for. Is it the bearing that is on the end of the motor that fits into the Piston Assembly? If it is, the catalog number is 44565. Hope this helps

Comment

Again, I wasnt complaining about the compressor breaking down. Its the fact that it is a poor design that I have to trash a perfectly good compressor over a small part that no one offers replacement parts for.
                              I guess we live in a throw away society, its a shame
                              I actuallly looked for a oil compressor. Probablem is to get one they are bigger and heavier, to bulky.
                              Since there is no customer support this is the last Ridgid tool I will ever buy

Comment

Working...
                              X