X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hammer drill question.

did the ridgid x2 hammer drill have the same chuck as the x3? ive read that x2's chuck would drop a bit when used as a hammerdrill. and if the x3 is different, is the x3 jacobs chuck good at keeping grip on bits? i wish they had a self tightening chuck like dewalt. that chuck is the best out there and if ridgid had it i would buy the ridgid kit hands down.

Re: hammer drill question.

Originally posted by mr.goodkat View Post
    did the ridgid x2 hammer drill have the same chuck as the x3? ive read that x2's chuck would drop a bit when used as a hammerdrill. and if the x3 is different, is the x3 jacobs chuck good at keeping grip on bits? i wish they had a self tightening chuck like dewalt. that chuck is the best out there and if ridgid had it i would buy the ridgid kit hands down.
    We have a couple of the Ridgid hammer drills and they both have Jacobs 700 chucks and have performed very well with no problems. Neither drill is an X3, however I believe Ridgid is still using the Jacobs 700 chuck on the X3.
    I don't know what you mean by "self tightening clutch" for Dewalt. We have a couple of Dewalt drills with Jacobs 500 chucks which can be tightened by holding the chuck and pressing the trigger and powering the chuck closed. We no longer do this as it damages the chuck. We now power the chuck until it "just begins " to tighten and then hand tighten it fully closed. We use this same procedure for all drills with the ratcheting chucks.
    Hope this is helpful.......Ray

Comment

Re: hammer drill question.

on the dewalt hammerdrill models dcd950 and dcd970 they use a Rohm brand self tightening chuck. as you use the drill, especailly as a hammerdrill it keeps tightening itself around the bit. it's actually slightly difficult to loosen after use. and to hand tighten the chuck is slightly different than any other chuck i've seen. don't ask me how it keeps itself tight during use but it does. i've seen it keep tight when all other chucks, other than the sds style have slipped.

Comment

Working...
      X