X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Table saw tilt issues

My contractor type table saw gets really hard to tilt the bade after I get past 25-30 degrees. The hand wheel gets really hard to turn. I actually stripped the tilt screw and had to replace it. I've looked for something bent or warped and can't find anything. I even loosened the tilt screw bearing but no help. I took the saw completely apart (except for removing the trunnions), cleaned everything and reassembled it with dry lube and also installed a PALS kit and realigned the blade/arbor with an A-Line-It. It does this with the belt on or off. I'm tempted to try 20 weight oil like the owner's manual suggests but I'm afraid the oil will just collect sawdust. Graphite maybe? Anybody had this problem and how did you fix it?

Re: Table saw tilt issues

Sounds to me like there's a good chance that there's something wrong. It's not an oil issue. That mechanism, when there's no binding or interference, will crank the blade over to 45 degrees no strain, no pain.

With traditional Delta style carriage/trunnion assemblies, if the motor or motor support is hitting something (not an unusual problem with those) it's easy to tweak the two round steel bars if you force the tilt wheel past the point where it's binding. Once you do this, it's hard or impossible to fix without buying parts.

Comment

I know that you said that cleaned everything but did you check and see if the blade is binding on some sawdust or a small scrap of wood. I was having a similar problem with my portable saw and that was my problem.

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Kev Dog View Post
        I know that you said that cleaned everything but did you check and see if the blade is binding on some sawdust or a small scrap of wood. I was having a similar problem with my portable saw and that was my problem.

Kevin

It's hard to tilt even with the motor and blade off.

Comment

Originally posted by xphnmn View Post
          My contractor type table saw gets really hard to tilt the bade after I get past 25-30 degrees. The hand wheel gets really hard to turn. I actually stripped the tilt screw and had to replace it. I've looked for something bent or warped and can't find anything. I even loosened the tilt screw bearing but no help. I took the saw completely apart (except for removing the trunnions), cleaned everything and reassembled it with dry lube and also installed a PALS kit and realigned the blade/arbor with an A-Line-It. It does this with the belt on or off. I'm tempted to try 20 weight oil like the owner's manual suggests but I'm afraid the oil will just collect sawdust. Graphite maybe? Anybody had this problem and how did you fix it?
          I know this may sound stupid, and if you already check this I apologize but how about the stops used while setting up the tilt.
          If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

What brand saw do you have? Is this a new problem or have you had it since you got the saw?

Obvious problem is the tilt lock mechanism is not loosening.

If the trunnions (front and back) are not one cast piece, they may be misaligned, causing it to bind. you may be able to correct this by loosening all the trunnion bolts. The snug up the ones farthest from the tilt handle (1 on the front, 1 on the back), run the tilt all the way to 45 (if it doesn't bind you have found the problem) and then tighten the rest of the screws. The bad thing about this is that you will probably have to realign the blade to the miter slot, which may bring the problem back.

If the saw is a Ridgid 3650/3660, check to make sure the tilt lock lever (under the front of the table) is pointed to the left when cranking in the tilt. (push in to reposition it without turning the lock screw. I do this a couple times when unlocking to make sure it is fully loosened) If it is too far right, it will bind under the table top. Position it to the right when returning to vertical.

Hope this helps.

Go
            Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Working...
            X