X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid 14002 Bandsaw upgrades wanted

I would like to change from 3/4hp motor to 1 1/2 hp motor and install a lift kit for resawing. Has anyone done both or just part? I know Grizzly makes a lift kit for the saw but reading on this site I have read two different Stock numbers for the kit H3051 and H7316 which one is correct? And if anyone has done the motor upgrade, where did you purchase and is it working for you the way you wanted? I love my saw and do not care of replacing it. Also not wanting to go through the hassel of selling this one to buy one that I can make with some upgrades of my 5 year old one I have now.

Re: Ridgid 14002 Bandsaw upgrades wanted

Grizzly H3051 6" Extension Block Kit - fits RIDGID

Grizzly H7316 Riser Block For G0580 - does NOT fit RIDGID

The difference between the two models is in the thickness of the guidepost

Don't bother installing the blade they include, I recommend getting a Timberwolf

No modifications needed, it all just worked!

I haven't upgraded the motor, but if I do, I will first look to Grizzly for a 1 1/2 HP motor

PS. Don't forget the cool blocks

Comment

Thanks for the info on the riser kit. I shall be ordering one of those after Christmas. Anyone have any info to share on motor replacement that has worked for them?

Comment

Just out of interest... why do you need to upgrade the motor? Are you cutting green wood and the unit is stalling?

I have found from my own experience, that 99% of all cutting issues has to do with a crappy blade and user error, and nothing to do with the power of the motor.

What sort of blade do you have on the bandsaw?

Matt.

Comment

I have a woodslicer from Highland Hardware now, I have had the Suffolk blades on it also and the same problem, I feed super slow, I am only doing 5" or so cherry and walnut now with problems. I want to put a extension kit on it and be able to resaw 10" and 12" stuff. Both blades I have tried doing this with have been resaw blades. I also have the blade tension set before trying.

Comment

How do you love the saw if you can not use it easily? I have an older grey one. Done many mods, riser, balanced wheels, link belt,fence,cool and roller blocks, Timberwolf blades, link belt , 4" DC port, urethane tires, reinforced stand/base, tuned pulleys. OK saw now but would not buy it again after using it and now knowing more. A good TEFC 1.5hp motor , that would not be worth it .as it is a 1750 rpm motor, and they are more expensive than the std. 3650 rpm. It is not a good resaw saw for hardwoods as they not heavy duty, zinc trunnions are not that sturdy, long distance between the supports, zinc castings again, not CI. Consider selling the BS1400 and buying a better saw.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew M. View Post
              A good TEFC 1.5hp motor , that would not be worth it .as it is a 1750 rpm motor, and they are more expensive than the std. 3650 rpm.
              If you do have problems with the blade stalling when cutting, and as you said you've used a resaw designed blade with the correct blade tension, then there may be a problem with the motor or power transfer.

I would fist check the belts to see if they are worn or sloppy. If the belt is slipping then it won't matter the HP of the motor, if what is there is not making it over to the wheels that move your blade.

As far as motor size. This is not a direct drive, so it really doesn't matter what the previous poster said about motor speed. What you need to do is measure the two pullies diameter to get the RPM on the bandsaw side. Take a look at http://www.csgnetwork.com/pulleybeltcalc.html and plug in the numbers.

For example, if your motor is running at 1750 rpm, and the motor side is 2" pulley, and the bandsaw side is a 4" pulley, then the saw rotates at 875rpm. Now as long as you closely match that RPM you are fine. So if you went out an got a motor that runs at 3650 rpm, in this example, you would need to replace the 4" bandsaw pulley with an 8.25" pulley to get around the same RPM.

The above is just an example.. I don't own this particular bandsaw and so I don't know the pulley dimensions. But changing a motor is a common enough event in and shop and getting the same RPM can be expensive, but all you need is about the same output rpm.

Matt.

Comment

On using the 3650 motor, I considered that as I have an extra 1.5hp but the blade guard would not fit with the larger pulley and that would be rather involved to remake that and interfere with the 4" DC port I added, plus void you warranty.

Comment

Who's got a good bandsaw fence that fits the RIDGID bandsaw?

Comment

andrew m. you might want to check out what this user did to his bs1400.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...hlight=bandsaw
                    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by JayTalbott View Post
                      Who's got a good bandsaw fence that fits the RIDGID bandsaw?
                      Kreg bandsaw fence. Excellent and stable. Bolts right on without modification. Has fantastic drift adjustment (though you're much better off eliminating drift via other tuning means).

Sold through a number of retailers... pick your poison.
                      http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...,41036&p=52404
                      (*currently* has free shipping)

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...r=kreg%20fence

http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2005244/2005244.aspx
                      (Currently has a 15% off coupon code 10110 )

Comment

I have the Kreg BS Fence and love it. Bolts on in just a few minutes. Very adjustable, rigid, and versatile.

Comment

Working...
                        X