Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Problems

Ok
    This is to see how many people have had problems with batteries. We don’t want to upset all the Senior Ridgid lovers out there with 800,900 or even a 1000+ comments, so just post short and simple. No bashing or trashing!!!
    I’ll be the first.
    I got two dead batteries and that makes a total of four I’ve had fail in less than 18 months old.

P.S.
    I do have 6 other Ridgid tools with no problems!!!
    Last edited by Mark from Texas; 12-22-2009, 05:48 AM.

Re: Battery Problems

It is nice to see that you finally decided to start your own thread after hijacking about
    1000 other people's.
    At first I wasn't going to bother to reply to all your inane comments and threats, especially as you had first promised to "start a class action suit". I thought, "WOW, this is a dude with some serious swag". He's going to shut up and hire a lawyer and bring Ridgid, Home Depot, TTI, et all to their knees.
    But then you turned out to be just another lying, whining, self important little phony who couldn't be bothered with registering their tools and was now trying to get replacements by throwing their big ego around.
    See one of your endless posts below when you were rudely hijacking everyone else's threads, but hey you are very important, so that's OK.
    The batteries strated going out about 4 months ago. Purchased May of 08. Started this process around Sept. Shipped them to the service center and they wanted the lsa #. Contacted rigid about lsa#, Ridgid has no record of registration and they have yet to call me back. No I didn't make copies of the 7 separate power tools that I purchased and sent registration off on. When I tried to register the tools all I got was voice mail. Like I said I'm still waiting on rigid to call me back. Did I mention I left two voice mails and several emails. I gathered all info to give to them. The service center returned my tool and did not fix anything. When I spoke with them before they shipped it back, I told them I was waiting on RIDGID. You are correct the numbers on the tools do reflect the manufacture date. Why wouldn't the service center just replace the batteries instead of just sending them back without notifying me? Now if I want to send them off again it's going to cost another shipping charge. Yes, I am Ticked off!! I tried to be an honest consumer. Rigid doesn't want to be Honest. It's a crying shame when I had another cordless that lasted for about 8 years and this Ridgid didn't last just over a year. Their batteries are JUNK. Look now I am just ranting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Mark from Texas; Today at 02:18 AM..
    So Mark, the truth has been revealed in the above posting "I didn't make copies of the 7 separate power tools that I purchased and sent registration off on."..........Of course you wouldn't because after all you are too special to be forced to conform to the rules and recommended procedures like the rest of us commoners.
    and further in your post, "When I tried to register the tools all I got was voice mail. Like I said I'm still waiting on rigid to call me back.".........See, this is so lame, All of us who have actually registered our tools knows that the procedure is to send in the required paperwork, there is no emailing.
    and more,"I gathered all info to give to them.".......What info? You already told us that you didn't make any copies.
    Anyway, enough of this. After all, it is the Christmas season. Let's get in the spirit. You are among friends here Mark. Just fess up that you were to self important to register your tools. Tell us the name of the law firm you are going to use for your "class action law suit" and I'm sure a bunch of the guys here will be more than happy to contribute to your cause. You have done so much to endear your self to us, it is the least we could do!.......Ray
    Last edited by roadrashray; 12-22-2009, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Ready on the right?.........................Ready on the left?..................................
      The firing line is ready,............. fire at will.............................................. .............
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
        It is nice to see that... .......Ray
        LOL. Oh Ray!

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
          Ready on the right?.........................Ready on the left?..................................
          The firing line is ready,............. fire at will.............................................. .............
          Does he get a final meal and a cigar(ette), or did he just shoot himself in the foot?

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
            Does he get a final meal and a cigar(ette), or did he just shoot himself in the foot?
            What's all the fuss about? Did he try and charge a lithium battery in one of those older nicad chargers?

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
              So Mark, the truth has been revealed in the above posting "I didn't make copies of the 7 separate power tools that I purchased and sent registration off on."..........
              Ray.. I am sorry to have to kick you off your high horse.. but here is the problem that I have with your logic..

1. Ridgid does have an LSA.. and you have to register to get it. BUT it also carrys a 3 year warranty. Just because you don't sign up for LSA, does not preclude you from getting 3 years of service.

2. You power tools come with a serial number on them. Part of that serial number happens to contain the manufacture year and build week. So you can see when it was made. this will not tell a service center when it was bought, but simple logic and math would point to being that a part made in 2008, cannot no matter how you look at a calendar, be more than 2 years old. (See point 1)

3. Your batteries don't have a serial number per say, but they do have a build date. So they also follow the exact same logic as the power tools.

I am not defending Mark or anyone on this site. I too have purchased a Ridgid 18v lithium battery powered hand tool only to find that my batteries are defective. Personally, mine lasted 1 charge. They have a build code of 0932. I too am rather ticked off that Ridgid is shipping out product that is known to be overly defective, and are not adequately stocking the repair centres to have spare batteries on hand.

I am not happy to have spent over $400 to buy a tool combo kit that I cannot use. I have no choice but to give my tools that are less than a month old over to a repair centre and sit on my hands and wait. I have mailed in my LSA.. I don't expect to hear back from Ridgid with an LSA number for 9+ more months. They are that backlogged on registering product.

The only choice that I have is to spite HD for selling me this crap, and use the Ridgid 90day return policy to my own needs. I have 3 HD stores within 15 minutes of my house. I have purchased a new set that I will use for 2 weeks then return under Ridgid's own return policy (for ANY REASON) and then purchase another set. If it takes them 6+ months to get mine fixed, then that's 12 boxes of tools returned to Ridgid that they will have to factory refurb and sell at a profit loss. NOT MY PROBLEM.

I hope that Ridgid reads these posts and gets their act together.

Matt.

Comment

Matt, I don't disagree with anything that you've said in your post. Quite frankly, if you need to use their rules to your benefit, then so be it. I have done so once or twice before on my own at HD, due to similar issues.

That said, the problem that I believe is frustrating Ray, and others, about Mark's post, is actually his posts from other threads. To pipe in with, "Let's sue!", and other timeless words of wisdom have added nothing to the conversation. Ray is also pointing out what appears to be many flaws in Mark's logic, where he states he didn't do (or did) multiple things [sent in LLSA paperwork, and/or bought tools ages ago but didn't register them; within 90 day satisfaction period, and/or within 3 year warranty period, and/or in LLSA timeline; did not retain any of his documentation, but is upset with Ridgid for not having materials that he apparently sent in; etc., etc.], and is blaming Ridgid for everything, or something to that end.

It's frustrating to have threads hijacked by someone spouting off, like someone who bought a new car, but didn't wear their seatbelt and got into an accident, and now they want to sue the car company for negligence.

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
                  That said, the problem that I believe is frustrating Ray, and others, about Mark's post, is actually his posts from other threads. To pipe in with, "Let's sue!", and other timeless words of wisdom have added nothing to the conversation.

It's frustrating to have threads hijacked by someone spouting off, like someone who bought a new car, but didn't wear their seatbelt and got into an accident, and now they want to sue the car company for negligence.
                  I can't say that I have read any of Mark's other posts.. If he is acting as a jerk then pointing it out in that thread is fine. But for the rest of us, it gets rather confusing where you are quoting someone from a totally different thread without providing any link to it and then bashing them for it. I'd say that is acting just as much in bad posting edict. But hey, I am not judge, jury and executioner by any means. I don't want to stand in the way of someone else's gun fight. I am only commenting on what limited information I have from reading just this thread and the information contained within it.

Matt.

Comment

For example...

Originally posted by Mark from Texas View Post
                    ...The best place to find out about tools are the Repair shops. They told me that they have a large repair back log for Ridgid cordlless tools.
                    But then...

I wouldn't know about the service centers because they are over a 100 miles away.
                    And, like Ray pointed out...

...No I didn't make copies of the 7 separate power tools that I purchased and sent registration off on...
                    But then...

...I gathered all info to give to them. The service center returned my tool and did not fix anything...
                    This...

I wouldn't purchase anything from Ridgid that is cordless. I have had nothing but problems...
                    And then...

Well first off, who is turning their back on who? I have purchased 7 Ridgid products. Only 2 use batteries. The rest are fine...
                    And then...

...I got two dead batteries and that makes a total of four I’ve had fail in less than 18 months old.

P.S.
                    I do have 6 other Ridgid tools with no problems!!!
                    All of this confusion leads to frustration among other members. How could we want to help, when all of this starts out with just another random poster posting a couple of rant posts, before disappearing from the forum again? We see it time and time again - plenty of "new Ridgid customers" who post about their negative experience, two or three posts sometimes, and then disappear. They're not asking for help on the issue, or how they can get it resolved - it's just a rant, and a whine, and a "class action lawsuit" threat, and then they disappear, apparently feeling so much better and more empowered, like they stuck-it-to-the-man.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt in Oakville View Post
                      I can't say that I have read any of Mark's other posts.. If he is acting as a jerk then pointing it out in that thread is fine. But for the rest of us, it gets rather confusing where you are quoting someone from a totally different thread without providing any link to it and then bashing them for it. I'd say that is acting just as much in bad posting edict. But hey, I am not judge, jury and executioner by any means. I don't want to stand in the way of someone else's gun fight. I am only commenting on what limited information I have from reading just this thread and the information contained within it.

Matt.
                      I get what you're saying, Matt. Most of us are up on those other threads, and those other quotes, so it just comes as something that we're up to speed on, but unfortunately others (like yourself) could have been lost with the hostility. I see that now. A tip maybe - you can view another posters recent posts by "left clicking" on the red hyperlink text of someone's name, and then from the drop-down list, click on the fourth or so option down, "Find all posts by..." That will bring you to a page with their posts in reverse chronological order. Just another forum navigation tool, if it helps you to get caught up on a conversation.

And, regarding the confusion over the context of posts in other threads - I think that was also the gist of what Ray was upset with too, about Mark posting crap all over the place, and hijacking other threads with random rants. And, it was something that he was chastised for in those individual threads, but, he started this thread, and unfortunately it spilled over here.

Sorry. Hope this helped with the preceeding.

Comment

No problem. I hope not to be one of those people who came here just to rant about my issues.

I do own quite a few Ridgid tools, and for the most part would recommend them to anyone as the products have been very good and service exceptional. Just not right now with this set of 18v tools.

I saw the post back too and that helps out painting a better picture. Not withstanding the person who started this thread.. I am rather interested if there is an actual pandemic with 18v batteries.

The problem you have with most product forums is just the phenomenon that you said. Come here to rant and then go away. If you went on just what you read here, it looks like there is an issue. But what we don't know is how many people don't have issues.

If Ridgid sells say 100,000 unit a year, and 10 are defective, that leaves 99,990 people who are totally happy with their purchase and don't need to post here or even care to know this forum exists. The 10 who are unlucky post about their wow's

But if say the number is closer to 5000 defective out of the 100,000 sold, then that gives you a ratio of 1 in 20 being bad.. A number that is way to high and needs to be seriously looked at.

I'm interested in what the real statistic is.

Matt.
                        Last edited by Matt in Oakville; 12-23-2009, 12:18 AM.

Comment

Canuck,

I read these posts almost daily and I see many of the squabbles that goes on here (they usually involve a dewalt fan though) and I try not to get involved. I have my own tools and I know how to take care of them and follow all warranty guidelines. However, I must say that your post comparing Mark's previous comments was funny as hell.

Matt,

I have about 70 different Ridgid tools and I have had to use a repair center once and it was on a battery. My repair center didn't ask for a card, validation or any sort of proof that I had registered my product (by the way that was this year.) Customer service varies for every location as I am sure that you know. It took 10 days for them to rectify my problem with two new batteries for my kit of which only one was a problem.

So, that is my experience. Maybe it will help.

Comment

Well nothing new today!!!
                            You guy’s whining about my post didn’t fix Ridgid’s battery problem did it?

You see that Ray?
                            Short and Sweet!!!
                            Now go away and sugar coat another members problem. Better bring alot of sugar.

Nice to hear from Yall. Keep em coming!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kev Dog View Post
                              Canuck,

I read these posts almost daily and I see many of the squabbles that goes on here (they usually involve a dewalt fan though) and I try not to get involved. I have my own tools and I know how to take care of them and follow all warranty guidelines. However, I must say that your post comparing Mark's previous comments was funny as hell.

Matt,

I have about 70 different Ridgid tools and I have had to use a repair center once and it was on a battery. My repair center didn't ask for a card, validation or any sort of proof that I had registered my product (by the way that was this year.) Customer service varies for every location as I am sure that you know. It took 10 days for them to rectify my problem with two new batteries for my kit of which only one was a problem.

So, that is my experience. Maybe it will help.
                              Similar thoughts, Kev, on all points.

I think the issue here, besides a potential product failure, is with a service issue. I've had it myself - a service center that just didn't live up to the promised and reputed standards that I've come to know and love with the Ridgid name. Needless to say, that with a somewhat cool head, and yes, taking some of my own "precious time" to do some leg work on a solution to the problem, I ended up getting a very good solution, with something extra for my issues. People have to understand that sometimes the "service" that you get at a service center may be lacking - is that Ridgid's fault directly? Absolutely not. Is there things that they can do to rectify the issue(s)? Absolutely. But you need to be calm, cool, and collected, and work towards a solution, not just rant off. I know in my own situation, because of the attitudes and comments from the service center in my own predicament, that particular shop is no longer an authorized service center for Ridgid - they have been replaced by another business, which gives awesome service and has great staff.

Are there some sour grapes within the vineyard? For sure. But then work on that issue.

The thing, Mark, that you should be doing, is calmly working with Ridgid customer service on two issues: Firstly, work with them to get your LLSA stuff sorted out - since TTI has these ridiculous processing backlogs (another issue entirely), they may not have gotten to your stuff yet. But if it is truely lost, then that is why you keep backup copies of everything. Secondly, work with CS to help you work with the service center on this one simple issue - they sent a non-functioning tool back to you, when even without the LLSA, it's something that's covered within the 3-year warranty. Work on getting them fixed under the standard warranty coverage - there is no reason for this not to be an issue, unless there's something that we're unaware of (ie - owner abuse/misuse, intentional damage, reconditioned/refurbished items, unknown/damaged serial number/manufacture code labels, etc.)

Comment

Working...
                              X