Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 18v LithiumIon or defective chargers?

thanks for the warm welcome

Comment

Hey guys, first post here.

About 2 years ago, I bought the Ridgid combo kit (1 drill/driver, 1 impact tool, 2 batteries, charger, contractor bag) after having a DeWalt 14.4 XRP (too big and heavy I found, won't get into why I changed) and it was great. It had 2 NiCD batteries, not lithiums. After a while, I saw the 3.0Ah Lithium Ion battery at Home Depot and picked it up. I think the NiCDs are 2.5, so I figured this one should last just that much longer. I never had any trouble with it, and I'm still using it (over a year old now).

I later bought a kit with the 2 Compact lithium batteries, I figured it would be lighter and better for maintenance and that (HVAC equipment on roofs). I bought it in the winter. I found the batteries didn't have the same output as my NiCD's and they also wouldn't charge when cold. When I warmed them up, they were fine.

I knew that Lithium Ion technology is the pits in the cold, my laptop batteries die very quickly when they are used cold (they work fine after being warmed up). The 3.0Ah battery works great, but my 2 Lithium Ion compacts have been reduced to home use unfortunately. I love the size of them, especially in the new impact tool (the smaller, lighter one with a light on the base). But they just don't cut it in the cold.

I was mainly wondering if they have fixed this recently, or if this is just a problem with the compacts and hasn't been fixed. I know they cut out on overload too, I had mine cutout today actually when drilling into some unistrut.

Informative post, thanks guys!

Comment

I own the Fuego 4 piece Lithium set and both batteries cut out mid drill. I tested them both when I was drilling some pocket holes on a Kreg Jig and was only able to drill 32 pocket holes on a fully charged battery. Horrible! Not only is the battery life poor but the drill boggs down and then completly dies, having to let off the trigger and then proceed again. Sometimes I have to let the drill sit for 2-3 min before continuing to drill..

I will be going to the local service center for replacement.

Hopefully this can be fixed.

Comment

Working...
        X