Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

vehicle power charger

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • vehicle power charger

    I just bought the RIDGID 4 piece 18v lithium -Ion kit. I would like to find a way to install a battery charger in my work van, so that I could always have a charged tool battery while at the job site. Has anyone ever done this? What would i need to do? Anything sold that makes this simple? Thanks for any help.

  • #2
    Re: vehicle power charger

    i'm not sure if they make a 12 volt dc lit-ion charger.

    simplest way is to get an inverter. these draw a lot of dc power when under a heavy load such as running power tools and a k-60

    but draw little power to charge a battery or a run a laptop

    pretty inexpensive and the smaller ones will plug into a cigarette lighter. the larger ones need a 12 volt dc. direct connection.

    i use a 1500 watt for my tools and a smaller 300 watt for the computer and stuff.

    rick.
    phoebe it is

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: vehicle power charger

      I do as Rick said, buy an adapter. Sam's club has them for a good price.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: vehicle power charger

        I agree on the plug-in power inverter. Just read the specs on the box and/or talk to someone in the store who might be knowledgeable (I know... is that ever a possibility?).

        There's a recent thread discussing power inverters and some may not put out a proper AC sine-wave which is usually required for most battery chargers. Some of these power inverters are poorly designed and the results may be a current that is less than needed by a battery charger.

        CWS

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: vehicle power charger

          I have found that the brick type, with Al heat sink , fan cooled are best to use over the cig. plugin mounted ones. They can get really hot even running a small portable DVD player. The Victor I bought at sam's has proper sine wave output, at least that is what they claim. You an even hook it up to the battery directly for full output, say to run larger tools directly.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: vehicle power charger

            A good worthwhile true sine wave inverter doesn't come cheap. The cheapo ones put out a trashed up square wave and really are only suitable to run incandescent light bulbs. Electronics can be seriously damaged if run off such inverters. There are some models that put out a stepped sign wave that should be OK for a battery charger but knowing what they put out can be an issue. I would give Tripplite tech support a call and tell them what you need the inverter for. Phone: (773) 869-1234

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: vehicle power charger

              THANKS TO ALL for the responses. All good information that I would not have thought about. So, SAM's CLUB is a good bet?

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: vehicle power charger

                Hey Tech,

                As referenced in Rick's post (RE a DC charger), unfortunately, no, Ridgid does not make a plug-in DC powered charger. It's a standard 110/120 volt AC plug charger only.

                And as everyone referenced, an AC-to-DC power inverter is the best way to go. I believe that the battery charger that's included with that kit is the R840091 (that's the standard Ridgid single-port RapidMax lithium ion charger - just look on the product label on the base of the charger to verify). Even if it's a different model number, I believe that these are all the same - they use 110 watts of input power as their power draw. So, just to be safe, and not overburden the power inverter that you're going to buy, I'd get a 250 watt or (even better yet) 400 watt power inverter. Should work fine for you.

                Keep in mind though that many power inverters have different power capabilities. I actually have one in my own truck, built in, and it's 100 watts for when the truck is not running but the ignition is on, but it's a full 400 watts when the truck is idling. Different inverters may have other results, but I believe they're all similar in depending on whether the alternator is turning to give it the extra juice required. Just check the product packages to get what you need and want.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: vehicle power charger

                  Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
                  Hey Tech,

                  As referenced in Rick's post (RE a DC charger), unfortunately, no, Ridgid does not make a plug-in DC powered charger. It's a standard 110/120 volt AC plug charger only.

                  And as everyone referenced, an AC-to-DC power inverter is the best way to go. I believe that the battery charger that's included with that kit is the R840091 (that's the standard Ridgid single-port RapidMax lithium ion charger - just look on the product label on the base of the charger to verify). Even if it's a different model number, I believe that these are all the same - they use 110 watts of input power as their power draw. So, just to be safe, and not overburden the power inverter that you're going to buy, I'd get a 250 watt or (even better yet) 400 watt power inverter. Should work fine for you.

                  Keep in mind though that many power inverters have different power capabilities. I actually have one in my own truck, built in, and it's 100 watts for when the truck is not running but the ignition is on, but it's a full 400 watts when the truck is idling. Different inverters may have other results, but I believe they're all similar in depending on whether the alternator is turning to give it the extra juice required. Just check the product packages to get what you need and want.
                  What kind of truck do you have with built in converter or did you add it to the truck?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: vehicle power charger

                    Originally posted by Tennesseepowerstroke View Post
                    What kind of truck do you have with built in converter or did you add it to the truck?
                    It was part of the truck, from the factory. I've got an '05 Toyota Tacoma TRD-edition double-cab model. This exact one...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: vehicle power charger

                      this truck pic looks like it was taken in the rockies just down the street.
                      the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: vehicle power charger

                        Originally posted by Jerad View Post
                        this truck pic looks like it was taken in the rockies just down the street.
                        No idea. It was just a generic one that I pulled off Google - it was easier than looking for a pic on my hard drive of my actual truck. Here's me and the Mrs. when we first picked it up in September 2005...
                        Attached Files

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X