X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lithium Battery Observations

I guess we just want batteries and tools that work. When we reach for them we need them to work. Cost is never an issue but functional let downs can not be overlooked. I talked to the local repair shop and they said they have the 12v LI batteries. they order as many as they can and never have enough. We just keep buying new kits just to save the downtime. We have 4 batteries already in the service waiting to be replaced. We feel like switching to any vendor if this is not resolved or if someone can tell us how to fix it.

Comment

One of my friends says he is having no problems at all, In fact he raves about his,

Maybe it was the batching?

Comment

maybe the batching. some were bought at different places at different times.
        the second batch was purchased online from home depot?

Comment

Originally posted by homebody View Post
          Thank you Ray and others for all the info on LiI batteries. They are new to me and I want to use and charge them correctly. My new Ridgid 12v drill/driver did not come with an owner's manual in the box and you might be able to help me with a charging question. At what stage in the charging procedure would you expect a defective battery to be recognized and the flashing lights to appear? On its first re-charge after first use, one of my 2 batteries went through the stages of evaluation and charging only to then, at the end of the appropriate charge, go back and flash "defective". I had thought the evaluation period would have turned up the "defect". What do you think might be happening? This "defective" battery has powered the driver just fine on a test; haven't used it on a job yet. Thanks.
          Homebody, if it helps, this should be the manual for your 12 volt drill/driver (if you have the R82007 model):

http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/B91EF99...07_230_eng.pdf

Hope that works for you.

Comment

If you live in a cold climate, are you better off sticking with Ni cad batteries over Lith ion if you have the choice?

Comment

Originally posted by 420paul View Post
              If you live in a cold climate, are you better off sticking with Ni cad batteries over Lith ion if you have the choice?
              420 Paul.....I guess that would be your call. It has been our experience that LI batts can not be left overnight in our trucks when the temps drop below
              40 degrees. We leave them in our shop on cold nights and carry them to the job site in the the heated cab of the truck as LI batts will go dead in a few miles if carried in the back of a truck on a cold day. We leave the batts in the cab and bring them out as we need them and they work fine. Others on this forum have reported problems with LI batts at the jobsite if the temps are below freezing. We have not experienced any problems working the tools below freezing. We have found that LI batteries that have been left out overnight can be brought to life by sticking them in a charger for a few minutes.
              NiCad batteries are more forgiving with being stored overnight in freezing conditions. Our crews will leave them in their trucks overnight in freezing conditions and although we might experience a slightly decreased performance, they work fine.
              Most of our guys are willing to put up with the temp limitations of the LI batts because of the benefit of longer run time with less weight.
              good luck....Ray
              Last edited by roadrashray; 01-17-2010, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
                Most of our guys are willing to put up with the temp limitations of the LI batts because of the benefit of longer run time with less weight.
                good luck....Ray
                There's the kicker, right there.

There's pros and cons to everything, no matter what it is - be it tools, batteries, cars, sports, or even wives.

Everyone just has to sort out what works best for their particular circumstances, and then roll on from there. I don't badmouth any particular tool (stoopid caulking gun!), because everything was designed and built with a fairly particular focus or strong suit, and with that comes inherent weaknesses. Everyone's opinions are a small part of an overall picture - that's where reviews and word of mouth come to a benefit.

Comment

The distances listed on Ridgid's web site are direct, NOT by any road/ freeway. I live at the northern part of LACO., not a remote area really. Had a service center local before OWT took over. They quit being a service center for Ridgid, but most all other major brands they still service. Maybe they got tired of the complaints about not being able to get batteries for customers.

Comment

Working...
                  X