X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24V XLI Combo Kit Circular Saw and Battery

I purchased the 24V XLI combo kit that included a recip. saw, hammer drill, circular saw, and flashlight a few years back (never registered them ) and am having this weird issue all of a sudden.

I used the circular saw with a fully charged battery and within a minute the battery showed no charge. I switched batteries and same thing happened. The first battery was then put back on the charger, showed 4 bars but the green light never turned on to indicate it was fully charged. I pulled the battery off, put it back on, then the red and green lights started flashing indicating a bad battery.

I put the battery into the reciprocating saw though, and it seems to be working just fine. Same with use on the drill. Although it is only showing 3 bars of power right off the bat. Currently I'm charging the second battery and will test it as well.

Could there be something wrong with the circular saw that is causing an issue with the battery? Or are my batteries shot?

Thanks for any help you could provide!
    HD

Re: 24V XLI Combo Kit Circular Saw and Battery

There is definitely something wrong with the 24 volt batteries. I have returned both of mine 3 times and will be going in next week for the 4th time. They only last about 6 months then they will no longer charge and the charger will show defective. I have had the charger swapped 2 times but that didnt help out. Maybe this time will be the charm, The guy at the repair center said he gets about 10 returns a week on theses batteries. I wish Ridgid would fix the problem and acknowlege the issue. Homedepot doesnt carry their 24volt tools anymore for this reason. If somebody knows what the problem is please let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by rdunkin View Post
      There is definitely something wrong with the 24 volt batteries. I have returned both of mine 3 times and will be going in next week for the 4th time. They only last about 6 months then they will no longer charge and the charger will show defective. I have had the charger swapped 2 times but that didnt help out. Maybe this time will be the charm, The guy at the repair center said he gets about 10 returns a week on theses batteries. I wish Ridgid would fix the problem and acknowlege the issue. Homedepot doesnt carry their 24volt tools anymore for this reason. If somebody knows what the problem is please let me know.
      So it's not just me? Thanks for the discussion on this.
      M.

Comment

To the best of my knowledge there is nothing fundamentaly wrong with the 24V batts. We have been using them hard since 07 and had them replaced under the LSA earlier this year. The old batts were strong performers and the new ones are the same.
        I suspect that the guy who started this post has worn out batts and he should take them to a service center and have them tested
        "rdunkin"......I don't know whats going on there. Did you have the tools themselves tested. With a tool line that is several years old , why wouldn't the service center be replacing batteries every week? They wear out, ya know! The higher voltage tools have been eliminated by most of the power tool mfgrs, so no story there.
        Last edited by roadrashray; 08-10-2010, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Agreed fully with Ray's comments.

Comment

I have 6 of the 24v bats and have had all of them replaced, they sometimes make it 4-6 weeks and others 6 -12 months. I have 2 dead ones looking at me right now that I am just sick of returning. I have 3 sets of the 24v so it is not a tool or charger problem the 24v just suck.
            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
              I have 6 of the 24v bats and have had all of them replaced, they sometimes make it 4-6 weeks and others 6 -12 months. I have 2 dead ones looking at me right now that I am just sick of returning. I have 3 sets of the 24v so it is not a tool or charger problem the 24v just suck.
              I see you are a pro, there for I am confident you are aware of the limitations of LI batts, however I will point out a couple of things we have found in using the Ridgid 24V batts (and other LI batts) over the years. We had problems with the very first Ridgid 24V set in 2007, but since then they have given strong performance and good life with the following exceptions.
              1-The batts have a protection circuit that will shut them down if overheated. LI batts can not take the overheating abuse that NICad batts can. The circular saw will easily bind and overheat the batts when ripping and cause them to shut down. I have overheated the 24V hammer drill using large hole saws and trying to force them which has shut down batts at times. I don't know if repeated over heating will shorten battery life. We have eight of the 24s and have been getting 2 1/2-3 years with ours.
              2-Leaving LI batts overnight in below 40 degree temps will significantly degrade performance and below 30 degrees will kill them until they are put in a charger for a few minutes. We bring them inside when the temps start dropping into those ranges, so I don't know what the long term effects of LI batts repeatedly left overnight in low temps might be.
              3-As a contractor I would doubt you would have this problem, however there have been some posts by people who let batts sit on the shelf and allowed them to become "over discharged" which the 24v could be susceptible to. Our experience has shown that the 24V LI batts will self discharge faster than any other batt in our inventory. Over discharging will kill them. We are using ours every day and always bring them into the shop and charge them overnight.
              That's all I can think of that might be of help. Maybe others on this forum would have some input. Good luck....Ray

Comment

Here is my experience. Went to use them yesterday, all 4 dead, and my 2x 18v LiI compact too. Frustrating as I never am able to rely on them. I use these so infrequently because they are dead any time I go to use them it seems,[18v only had since Aug.] if they sit for even a week. They have very few hours on them, as all I seem to do is charge them and then go use other tools, go to use them next job and they are dead again! The 2, 24v pairs are from 2 different manuf. dates as well.
                I charge these more than any other and I have ,had cordless tools since the first 80's Makita stick drill. There is something wrong.
                The 24v batts will self discharge at a rate like no other I have, even more than 5 year old NiCd's. If the temp goes cold, I mean cool even, as I live in SoCal, they will discharge totally overnight. None of the other LiI I have do that, and I have 10 other batteries that are LiI. in various brands & types.The charge will not even lasted 2 weeks. in storage. I have Milwaukee, Bosch, DW, Makita, Ryobi and some others and none do this. These are not the 1st gen. The compact 18v LiI Ridgid I just bought with the collated driver, act similarly, but not as quick a discharge, still not good. I charge them and remove right after the charge, no leaving in the charger. I have a Hitachi, LiI that is stored in the same temp. and just used it after 6 months and it lost little charge, the other batt. fr. the tool was about 1 year out, and still had some usable charge.
                Something is odd about these packs as they act worse in storage than any battery bar none , even inside the house. Is it the cells, chemistry of them, any idea why they act so differently?
                Guess I may try the service ctr. but I think, since these are not being made any longer I will get more of the same, at least in the 24v ones . My guess is the cells Ridgid uses for what ever reason are the cause of the packs not performing well at all, very poor quality maybe or expired , old stock in the packs. I know the chemisty type can effect the performance.
                They need to get this solved, by changing something.

Right now I have 4x 24v packs, and 2x 18v compact LiI[bought 8/15/10] that all have issues. My 3x 18v Max, and 6x 12v, 1x 9.6v NiCd have no problems.

I would like to know if anyone besides Ray has good results with these 24v batts? Not saying anything negative about Ray's comments, glad it is working for him.
                Last edited by Andrew M.; 11-15-2010, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew M. View Post
                  I would like to know if anyone besides Ray has good results with these 24v batts? Not saying anything negative about Ray's comments, glad it is working for him.
                  Andrew, good observations.

I, like Ray, also don't have these extreme of problems with these batteries. That's not to say they're flawless - I do experience a bit of what you are mentioning, but only about 5% of the speed/issue.

I've got 3 or 4 of the 18 volt compact 1.5 Ah lithiums, and 2 of the 24 volt XLi lithiums. I too experience the slow draining thing - if I don't use them, and they sit in storage in my tool cabinet, they slowly drain. It is something that's to the point that I have a pop-up set in my Microsoft Outlook calendar, so that every two months, I fully charge and top-up all my Ridgid lithium-ion batteries, to ensure that none of them get excessively discharged. I also do this even on the little 12 volt lithiums from the little Ridgid micros drill. When I go to do this, I notice that the 18 volt batteries are what appears to be about 1/2 discharged to 3/4 discharged. But, almost ALWAYS, the 24 volt XLi batteries are fully drained - when I go to press the battery gauge's button, the LED for the last charge level flashes, indicating it being fully discharged practically.

I also notice that when I do this with my Bosch 10.8 volt lithium tools, that when I go to charge/check those, they are all still full and topped up. So, I'm presuming as others have also stated that this is all from the "battery monitoring/protection circuit" that's in place in these Ridgid lithium-ion batteries (while other tools have them in the tool rather than in the batteries).

I've been doing this now since last fall/winter, as my power tools have been relatively idle for the whole year, aside from a few small Mr.-Fix-It items to get done for the house and some friends & family. Temperatures don't seem to have an impact at all - I live in southwestern Ontario, Canada, and our summertime temps are generally 30-degrees-Celsius / 88 Fahrenheit, with the wintertime dipping down to minus-30-Celsius / minus-10-Fahrenheit (no idea if those numbers are 100% accurate - just to illustrate the temps).

Now, is any of this battery drain that I'm experiencing acceptable? Not at all. However, it's not something that drains in a week or so, so for me, this is a minor inconvenience to work through. If it gets any worse (needing charging once a month or so), then I may bring them into a service center to get the cells changed out on the batteries.

But, these are issues that may be heavily noticed for homeowners that only use their tools once or twice a year, versus barely noticed by pros that use their tools daily and charge their batteries just as frequently if not weekly at least.

My thoughts/observations.
                  Last edited by canucksartech; 11-15-2010, 09:35 PM. Reason: Correction/addition

Comment

Does anyone know if these batteries can still be purchased and does the lifetime come with them? I have many 24 or Max Select tools that really well....need to have these 24v batteries. Remember I bought these with the lifetime attraction given to them......and not just the batteries but the tools as well.

Comment

Amazon for $110 and no LSA unless in a kit for any Ridgid Batt.
                      http://www.amazon.com/RIDGID-1303770...0359563&sr=1-2

BTW. Have kept the LiI Ridgid packs inside since charging them on 11/15, and no loss of charge. The drop in temp, even to 45-50*F will cause them to discharge, but at room temp. they have stayed so far. Poor decision by Ridgid to use this type of LiI cell as other manuf. do not have anywhere near the same effect w. colder temps. My Hitachi, Bosch, LiI's do not discharge unless kept close to freezing temps . Same for my Laptop, cell phones, Flashlight RC123a's in other devices.
                      At another contractor forum a contractor just gave away all his 12v Ridgid LiI tools because of their cold sensitivity. Guess I will have to find a place to keep them inside.

To support that I am not just bashing Ridgid, this might be of interest on temp and usage, others too ,as I said, Hitachi, and Bosch 3.6v; 12v/10.8v do not seem to have issues with cold in charge state and use.
                      http://forums.jlconline.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=54411
                      Last edited by Andrew M.; 11-21-2010, 02:22 PM.

Comment

OK just checked the 4,24v batt. pks. which I have not used for about 1 month ,to do a test, stored in side the house, cold or hot temps are not the issue.. All 4 have only 1/2 charge left. This is very poor performance. I have 5 year old NiCd's that do much better than that in storage. Not sure if I can get any help from the service center but it is clear that the tools have nothing to do with this discharge rate as no use has occurred. As a comparison, I have LiI batts for my flashlights that can hold a charge for a year, so it is the quality of the cells that are in these Packs not the technology, as in storage charge. 2 cells have LSA, 2 others in 9/11 will be 3 years old in registration, no LSA.

On the positive note, the 2 compact 18v pks. have 19.5v, no load charge,little change there, so they may have different quality cells, same conditions same charge date as the 24v packs.

If any one would care to comment and contact me from Ridgid I would appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                        X