Air Couplers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Couplers

I just purchased the OL50145MW wheel barrel style air compressor. I need to buy some quick coupler fittings but I can not fine in the book what style they are. I bought the compressor at Home Depot and all their fittings are in bubble packs so i can't try them. There are style A,M,U etc and some look very close but with differant nipple lengths. Can someone advise which one is used on this compressor. The book just states 1/4" which I know is the pipe thread size but I need the male nipples to fit the couplers on the machine. Thanks

Re: Air Couplers

I could be wrong but I'd think that any of the styles could be used. To keep from having difficulties down the road, pick one style and stick with it. I didn't do that, because I didn't know any better, and ended up having fittings that wouldn't work with each other.
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Just to clairify I want to stay with what couplers come on the Ridgid compressor but need to know what type so I can purchase the right male nipples for my hose.

Comment

I believe the Ridgid air compressors come with a 1/4" universal coupler, meaning that they will work with either the 1/4" NPT fittings in standard-style (industrial), or automotive-type. I myself went with the 1/4" NPT fittings in standard, being that is what most pneumatic tools come equiped with (Ridgid's included, and that was my primary reason). Also, I think that 1/4" NPT fittings standard are just easier to find in the North American market, of the two style types, and compared with the other I/M connection type.

I have them on my small Ridgid twin-tank aluminum air compressor, and after doing some searching, I found that they are on yours as well - 1/4" universal couplers. On the webpage for your air compressor, it states: "Quick Couplers – 2 universal push style accept both ¼ in. industrial and automotive plugs with easy single hand connection". The problem with this, is that there's no real further mention in the compressor's manual about anything further to this, and whether it extends to I/M and NPT fittings as well. I do know that mine has/will work with the I/M fittings, but with yours, it's not so clear.

Yet again, just another issue of where the owner's manual coming from TTI is a bit lacking.

I would go with 1/4" NPT standard/industrial style, as that seems to be the norm with this stuff right now. (Very commonly found at Lowe's, HD, etc.)

This is a 1/4" NPT standard fitting setup:

Last edited by canucksartech; 01-06-2010, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
          I believe the Ridgid air compressors come with a 1/4" universal coupler, meaning that they will work with either the 1/4" NPT fittings in standard-style (industrial), or automotive-type. I myself went with the 1/4" NPT fittings in standard, being that is what most pneumatic tools come equiped with (Ridgid's included, and that was my primary reason). Also, I think that 1/4" NPT fittings standard are just easier to find in the North American market, of the two style types, and compared with the other I/M connection type.

I have them on my small Ridgid twin-tank aluminum air compressor, and after doing some searching, I found that they are on yours as well - 1/4" universal couplers. On the webpage for your air compressor, it states: "Quick Couplers – 2 universal push style accept both ¼ in. industrial and automotive plugs with easy single hand connection". The problem with this, is that there's no real further mention in the compressor's manual about anything further to this, and whether it extends to I/M and NPT fittings as well. I do know that mine has/will work with the I/M fittings, but with yours, it's not so clear.

Yet again, just another issue of where the owner's manual coming from TTI is a bit lacking.

I would go with 1/4" NPT standard/industrial style, as that seems to be the norm with this stuff right now. (Very commonly found at Lowe's, HD, etc.)

This is a 1/4" NPT standard fitting setup:

Thanks for all the info. I found in the Milton catalog that the fittings used on the Ridgid compressor I have are referred to as the (Push Style) which can be coupled with one hand by just pushing the male nipple into the coupler. And yes you are correct that they are universal and will accept style "A" and "M".

Comment

Just an FYI, I find that the standard/industrial ones seem to seat/seal better, with less of a proprensity for slow leaks / hissing. I'm not sure if that's how they were designed, or if that's normal, but that's been my experience anyways. I know the automotive ones are designed to just push in on standard connectors, and not require you to pull back the collar on the coupler. But, with these having quick-connect couplers in the first place, I'm not sure if the automotive connector is worth it. Just my 2 cents, and just another word of note to maybe help you in deciding which to pick up.

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
              Just an FYI, I find that the standard/industrial ones seem to seat/seal better, with less of a proprensity for slow leaks / hissing. I'm not sure if that's how they were designed, or if that's normal, but that's been my experience anyways. I know the automotive ones are designed to just push in on standard connectors, and not require you to pull back the collar on the coupler. But, with these having quick-connect couplers in the first place, I'm not sure if the automotive connector is worth it. Just my 2 cents, and just another word of note to maybe help you in deciding which to pick up.
              Good to know. I was planing on buying the industrial ones.
              Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X